Author Topic: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!  (Read 1183267 times)

Offline haunted_by_bbm

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • "didn't know we was gonna get into this again..."
    • Panels of the Dream: Brokeback Mountain Stories
Re: The Bettermost Drabblefest: Please Join In!
« Reply #930 on: April 04, 2007, 02:08:56 pm »

Oh, and haunted: I loved the way you misread the M&Ms prompt :laugh:.

lol   I'm glad I got a chuckle yesterday.    :laugh:

But, like you, I'm also drawing a blank today.    ;)
"The room stank of semen and smoke and sweat and whiskey, of old carpet and sour hay, saddle leather, shit and cheap soap.  Ennis lay spread-eagled, spent and wet, breathing deep, still half tumescent, Jack blowing forceful cigarette clouds like whale spouts..." – Annie Proulx

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #931 on: April 04, 2007, 02:36:34 pm »

Aww M, That made me so happy :)
and Marie, don't worry there will be more soon ;)

Thank you so much,
 :-*
Marl

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #932 on: April 04, 2007, 03:40:28 pm »
My dabble ..
I promise to be good after this - I went over by 149 words (yikes.. I know..)
But pls bear with me ..  8)

A Hidden Truth ..

Friday, August 30th 1963

She chopped up the cored apples and dropped them into a clean bowl, pouring a little orange juice over them just as they started to brown.  The little kitchen was filled with mouth-watering aromas of roasted pork and apple pie baking in the oven.  She placed the bowl of fruit salad in the old refrigerator and wiped her hands on her apron.  She was in high spirits because he was home again, after being gone for the past few months.  She’d missed him an awful lot; he was her beacon of light, a sparkle of hope, a burst of joy in her otherwise humdrum life. 

She cleaned the kitchen table, straightened the plastic table cloth and headed up the creaky wooden stairs to the bedrooms.  She opened the door to his little room and stuck her head in .. The little twin bed was rumpled and unmade, and a few dirty socks lay around it carelessly.  It didn’t seem to matter how many times she told him to keep his room tidy.. She stripped the bed and remade it with fresh sheets from the linen closet.  John always accused her of being too soft on him, too lenient.. But he was her little boy, the only one she’d been able to have, despite her wish for a house full of children. 

She picked up the dirty socks and a pair of old jeans hanging from the chair by the bed, starting to wonder if he had any clean clothes at all. She peeked into his closet and added a vest and his navy sweater to the filthy pile in her arms.  She was turning to leave when she noticed a bit of sleeve sticking out from behind the closet.  She shook her head, wondering why he’d put it there.  She’d almost gotten it off the hanger when she realized there was another underneath it.  It must’ve been new because she was certain he didn’t have it when he left in the spring. Its buttons were ripped, dried blood stains all over the sleeve, some on the front …

Later that evening, she watched him devour the juicy chunk of roast on his plate, famished after a hard day of mowing and gate-mending.  “I keep telling ya Pa,” he said in between bites, “When I bring Ennis here, we’ll transform this place!  He’s a real hard worker, real sharp and committed .. knows more about horses than I do .. plus he can cook!” Jack enthused.  The ol’ man mumbled something, never looking up from his food.  Her unflinching gaze rested on her son; she smiled, thankful that she’d left them undisturbed in the little corner where she’d found them .. 

« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 03:47:57 pm by Lucise »

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #933 on: April 04, 2007, 05:53:28 pm »
M,
Another awesome drabble.
Momma Twist is so understanding. :)
Cheers to ya,
Marl

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #934 on: April 04, 2007, 06:12:04 pm »
. . .But he was her little boy, . . .   

Yes, and he always will be.  Someone once said that the decision to have a child is to decide forever to have your heart walking around outside your body - maybe that's why moms always seem to know.  Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, Milli.

Thank You!
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #935 on: April 04, 2007, 07:31:43 pm »
Thank you  M & M (without the 's'  ..   :P) ..

Someone once said that the decision to have a child is to decide forever to have your heart walking around outside your body - maybe that's why moms always seem to know. 

Amazing, thanks Marie!  :)

Offline fernly

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #936 on: April 04, 2007, 09:59:42 pm »
Shards

He saw him again, just pieces of the man, never whole. Turning the corner from the Riverton post office. Eyebrow like a raven’s wing. In a truck driving past the road crew that next summer. Strong hand, long fingers, beating time to a song he caught just a couple notes of.

He saw him again, just pieces of the man, never whole. Balanced on the rails of a bucking chute as the roan bronc settled. Strong back tense, leaning, ready. Climbing up into the cab to try the newest combine. Hair just long enough to curl, catching sunlight.

More than nothing. Even broken, carried it all inside him.

Held to that. What he couldn’t never let go of.

I write dopplegangers into my fanfic. Ones they never recognize, same as in the film. But I thought, for today’s prompt, maybe this much. So I’m bending the rules I guess, since it’s inspired by, though not containing the word.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 06:52:25 pm by fernly »
on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #937 on: April 05, 2007, 07:29:55 am »
Morning all,

Try these:

• a foot of snow
  • swimming pool
  • Xerox

And if anyone is wondering why I have a foot of snow on my mind, this is my backyard this morning!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #938 on: April 05, 2007, 09:05:37 am »
Morning all,

Try these:

• a foot of snow
  • swimming pool
  • Xerox

And if anyone is wondering why I have a foot of snow on my mind, this is my backyard this morning!

L

Wow thats some back garden Leslie!! :o It looks beautiful.. your very lucky.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #939 on: April 05, 2007, 09:24:53 am »

Wow thats some back garden Leslie!! :o It looks beautiful.. your very lucky.

Well, I like it better without all the white stuff, especially in April!

Here's a warmer view, from last August.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 09:28:28 am by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!