Author Topic: Ennis Stands It; Jack Fixes It  (Read 7487 times)

Offline two_bloody_shirts

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • First Kisses
Ennis Stands It; Jack Fixes It
« on: April 16, 2006, 06:59:19 am »
OK, this is a theme that is probably as obvious as the day I was born, but I find something quite interesting in the duality of Ennis and Jack's personalities. 

"I'll stick with beans."   :P
"Well, I won't."  >:(

Those two lines pretty much sum it up.  Ennis will stick with what is easy and safe.  Jack will do what is unorthodox and risky (Aguirre might catch them, Game and Fish might catch them).  After a while, after some prodding from Jack, Ennis does the risky thing and shoots an Elk for Jack.  So, after all, he can "fix" the situation versus standing it. 

The result is not the same with their love lives.  Jack always wants to go the riskier route, Ennis is always refusing.  Jack tries to "fix" it in his own way, with the prostitute and Randall, but it sadly is not enough.  And guess what, Jack does as Ennis wants for all those years, even though it hurts him.  Jack really was at a place where he can't stand it any more - it is truly against his nature to ride it out the easy, safe way. 

Again, probably as obvious as the nose on my face, but one theme I find very nice in this film as it recurs so often.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 07:03:59 am by two_bloody_shirts »
Love.  You have a problem with it?

~Grace~

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Ennis Stands It; Jack Fixes It
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2006, 07:32:38 am »
Yes, I think "No more beans" and "Well, I won't" are the two defining moments of Jack.  And yes, that theme recurs throughout the rest of the movie.  Jack would have left Lureen in a heartbeat had Ennis said the word - he knew that marriage was a sham before he even embarked upon it.  Jack wanted to get a tutor for Bobby; Lureen just wanted to let it ride.  Even in smaller ways - at the Thanksgiving dinner, a different kind of person would have sat back and let Bobby watch the game so as not to rock the boat.  But Jack knows that isn't the right thing to do, and it's against his nature to sit back while the wrong thing to do plays out unchallenged.
No more beans!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2006, 11:50:25 am »
Yes!  I think this is part of the "ying and yang" aspect of their relationship. 

Jack is optimistic, wants things to move forward and even if he is afraid (of homophobia/ violence, etc.) he resolutely does not want the fear to control their lives.  He also wants to be significantly more honest about their relationship.  I really don't think he likes sneaking around behind Lureen's back, etc.  I think he regrets ever having to marry her.  He'd rather get an honest divorce and be completely true to Ennis.  So, yes, he would certainly "fix it" if he could.

So, Ennis is the opposite.  He's the pessimist (he would probably say, the 'realist') and tragically lets his fear control their relationship.  He's stuck in one place and is paralyzed in fear and confusion over how to move his relationship with Jack forward.  His fear consumes him so much that it manifests itself physically in his posture, his silence, etc.

These aspects of their personalities remind me of the old symbolism discussions back on the imdb boards.  Jack as the wind/ air (moves, shifts, changes, adjusts, is the dreamer "has his head in the clouds", etc.) and Ennis as the earth (static, rigid, silent, stubborn, etc.).

Lately I've had a new thought about the ambiguity of the film's ending and the line "if you can't fix it you've got to stand it."  It's really important that this is the last line of the book I feel.  It becomes Ennis's life sentence in many ways (he imposes this on himself and unfairly on Jack) and he has to live under the burden of this after Jack's death, because he's run out of chances to "fix it" with Jack just as he's reached the point when he's desparate to fix it.

Well, Jack's heartbreaking line in their final camping trip echos this line-
"Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

Lately I've been hearing Ennis's last unfinished sentence as a response.  Something as simple and symmetrical as  "Jack I swear, sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 11:59:04 am by atz75 »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline hermitdave

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • changed forever by brokeback...
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 11:53:42 am »
 :'(
"Whenever Im alone with you, you make me feel like I am whole again. Whenever Im alone with you, you make me feel like I am young again." - The Cure

Offline littledarlin

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • darlin=andrew, guitar=mandy
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 12:00:59 pm »
So, Ennis is the opposite.  He's the pessimist (he would probably say, the 'realist') and tragically lets his fear control their relationship.  He's stuck in one place and is paralyzed in fear and confusion over how to move his relationship with Jack forward.  His fear consumes him so much that it manifests itself physically in his posture, his silence, etc.

absolutely.  i think jack rubs off on ennis as well, made apparent by these two scenes.

when jack is complaining about the commute, and staying in separate camps, to us it is obvious he just wants to be in the same camp with ennis.  he says "aguirre got no right makin us do something against the rules."  if ennis were anyone else in the world, you know jack could care less about the commute.  ennis is oblivious to his intentions, though.

but later, after the storm, and when aguirre says to bring 'em down, ennis is the one saying "it ain't right" because he'd be cutting them out of a months pay.  when in reality, ennis is now attached to jack and does not want to leave him.  he confims that he is not in the poorhouse and he doesn't need jack's money, making his previous statement completely irrelevant.  so what's the real reason?  he knows when they leave brokeback, they have to go their separate ways.  well in ennis' eyes they have to.  but that's a whole other discussion..
We can hug on November, caress and nice oak.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 01:57:25 pm »
I agree about the this duality but what wasn't mentioned,and what is also constantly underscored in the movie is that while Jack may want to fix things, ultimately he is never able to-his tragedy. Using the beans example, he wants something other than beans but he can't provide-Ennis needs to. The whole "good with a can opener" line yet we see him make a mess of opening the beans. He tries bull riding but, ultimately, is not good at that. Interesting book end on that one-when he is unsuccessful the first time we see him ride, also gets brushed off by Jimbo. In the Lureen scene, he is successful in the ride and successful with the girl. I don't think Jack is as much a do-er as he is a persistant try-er. "Twist" the muscles in a rider that allow him/her to hang on.
Ennis tells him "it ain't gonna be like that" but Jack hangs on.

Oh, I been there and done that...

Heathen

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 05:34:53 pm »
Very thoughtful points Roux and atx especially. Also, remember when Ennis collapses in his final confrontation with Jack he says (and shows) "Jack, I can't stand it no more." One lesson of the movie is that Ennis' formula doesn't work over the long run. You can't always stand it if you can't fix it.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2006, 09:22:14 pm »
Yes!  I think this is part of the "ying and yang" aspect of their relationship. 

Jack is optimistic, wants things to move forward and even if he is afraid (of homophobia/ violence, etc.) he resolutely does not want the fear to control their lives.  He also wants to be significantly more honest about their relationship.  I really don't think he likes sneaking around behind Lureen's back, etc.  I think he regrets ever having to marry her.  He'd rather get an honest divorce and be completely true to Ennis.  So, yes, he would certainly "fix it" if he could.

These aspects of their personalities remind me of the old symbolism discussions back on the imdb boards.  Jack as the wind/ air (moves, shifts, changes, adjusts, is the dreamer "has his head in the clouds", etc.) and Ennis as the earth (static, rigid, silent, stubborn, etc.).

Lately I've had a new thought about the ambiguity of the film's ending and the line "if you can't fix it you've got to stand it."  It's really important that this is the last line of the book I feel.  It becomes Ennis's life sentence in many ways (he imposes this on himself and unfairly on Jack) and he has to live under the burden of this after Jack's death, because he's run out of chances to "fix it" with Jack just as he's reached the point when he's desparate to fix it.

Well, Jack's heartbreaking line in their final camping trip echos this line-
"Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

Lately I've been hearing Ennis's last unfinished sentence as a response.  Something as simple and symmetrical as  "Jack I swear, sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it."

yes, the Yin-Yang is very appropriate descripiton. Not only are they opposite, but they exert a push-pull dynamic upon one another. It's because of Jack that Ennis didn't stick with beans. It's because of Ennis that Jack sticks it out with his responsibility to untangle the sheep. Jack endured their nearly 20 years for Ennis, but Ennis finally learns to love because of Jack.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2006, 11:40:53 pm »
Heya starboardlight and RouxB!

I like the idea that both Ennis and Jack pulled at each other and changed one another in their ying and yang capacity.  That makes sense to me.

I also like the idea that Jack is constantly trying.  That's what makes him so adorable and sad to me.  You're absolutely right that it's a major part of the tragedy to see his efforts constantly rebuked.  That's part of the melancholy of the Lightning Flat scene where his horrible father talks about Jack's ideas never coming to pass.  Talk about a guilty moment for Ennis.
 :'(

In the "bonus features" on the DVD there's a brief interview with Jake where he says that he also tried to portray Jack as "really trying" all the time.  He saw "trying" is part of his character.  LOL, but Jake also uses this to explain why his cowboy skills like horse riding, etc. are less graceful/ perfected than Heath's.  Anyway, it's nice to realize how much the actors tried in a very serious way to get into the heads of these characters.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 12:42:04 pm »
yes, the Yin-Yang is very appropriate descripiton. Not only are they opposite, but they exert a push-pull dynamic upon one another.

To add to this "push-pull" dynamic that the 2 men shared, one scene that always gets me - during the confrontation scene, when Ennis starts crying, Jack comes over to console him, he screams out "Get the fuck off me!", what does Jack do without even giving it a second thought or a moment's reflection?  He grabs hold of Ennis, holds onto him tightly.  Jack knew Ennis so well, he understood that Ennis was literally saying the opposite when he pushed Jack away, Ennis needed Jack more than he ever admitted, I think Jack understood this, although it was killing him that Ennis couldn't face this truth and accept it for himself.. :'(

Jack's patience and love was overflowing ... and Ennis needed every drop of it.