Author Topic: Bull-riding on TV!  (Read 6567 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Bull-riding on TV!
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 06:24:11 pm »
Maybe one of you can answer a question I had after watching this tournament.  I watched for an hour (the last qualifying round before the championship round and then the championship round itself- some kid from Kansas won... and thank god he was wearing a black hat  ::) 8)). 

Being a complete novice about this sport I was sort of trying to figure some things out through context.  Everything else that I know about bull riding I learned from Brokeback (I mean I learned the term "rodeo clown" for the first time from Brokeback... and I have the 8 second rule down).  But, I couldn't figure out what they meant by a "qualified ride"?  They would say things (usually in reference to the quality of the bull) like 'this bull only had 8 *qualified rides* tonight out of 40.'  Or statements of that nature.  What does that mean?  It was clear that all the guys who advanced did not always hit 8 seconds, so it can't be the 8 second thing. 

Just curious.  Thanks in advance.
 :)
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

injest

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 06:28:52 pm »
you misheard them. A bull is not run through but once a night. sometimes once a entire rodeo (which usually runs several days)

When they say he had "8 qualified rides out of 40" they are saying that the bull has been drawn 40 times in his bucking career and he has only been ridden to the 8 second time limit 8 times. Which is pretty good but not spectacular.

Drawn...that means they put all the names of the bulls available in a hat and the cowboys draw out one and that is the bull they have to ride.

hope this is clear

oops...went back and reread your question...A "qualified' ride IS a full eight seconds...but they also have a certain number of entries in the final round. Usually ten. they add up the rides for the whole rodeo to get the top ten. So someone may not have made the full 8 seconds the night you watched but DID the previous night...and if his score was high enough he got to go to the finals...

Say the rodeo is a two night affair. If you ride (qualified) BOTH your bulls, your score is added together...say you got 75 on one and 80 on the other...your score would be 155.

but say only seven rode BOTH of their bulls ...then they go to the riders that made qualified rides on ONE bull and the three highest scores there got to go to the final round.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 06:48:38 pm by injest »

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 06:46:50 pm »
It was clear that all the guys who advanced did not always hit 8 seconds, so it can't be the 8 second thing. 

That's not quite true either (got ta the point that bull ridin became the only thing I would watch on TV)

the PBR competitions are almost always held over a 2 or 3 day period. the 45 top rated riders are invited ta participate. They get ta try & ride the lower rated bulls on the first night (so the points awarded on the first night aren't usually very high). The second (and if there's a 3rd night) the bulls are tougher ta ride - have a higher riding rating, so sometimes there are not 15 riders who successfully ride a bull on any given night, but all "final qualifyin riders" have had at least one 8 second ride during the 2 or 3 day event.

Not gettin any a my bull ridin fixes of late, cause I cancelled my cable services. not worth 30$ a month ta watch a few events ...  :(
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2007, 09:26:34 pm »
I love watching bull riding, but it seems to me that the guys have gotten so good at it - it ain't like it was in my daddy's day  ;D - that they're trying to make it harder.  Like in gymnastics when the competitors got so much better than the judging, they started scoring perfect 10s one after the other, so they had to push back the goalposts.

Now, not only does the bullrider have to hangon for the 8 seconds, his style while he's riding is being judged AND how the bull bucks also counts.  If the bull doesn't buck worth a darn, doesn't show some variety, they take off points!!

??? ??? ???

That seems like a pie-in-the-sky kind of judging criteria.  How can the bullriders ever possibly control how the bull bucks?

injest

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2007, 09:52:29 pm »
I thought they has always graded the bull riding that way??

On one hand it is good...I mean if you ride one that jumps and circles and kicks hard...you SHOULD get more points than some guy that rode a bull that just strolled out and stood around waiting for the bell...LOL!!

by grading the bull too, they encourage the stock contractor to have bulls that WILL buck good...

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2007, 10:10:51 pm »
I thought they has always graded the bull riding that way??

On one hand it is good...I mean if you ride one that jumps and circles and kicks hard...you SHOULD get more points than some guy that rode a bull that just strolled out and stood around waiting for the bell...LOL!!

by grading the bull too, they encourage the stock contractor to have bulls that WILL buck good...

Yes, how the cowboy rides the bull, his style, has always been scored, but how the bull bucks??!?!?  What makes the bull buck is that belt tied around his groin area.  Tie it tight enough and he'll buck.  Now, how they would breed for a bull that bucks and changes direction and bucks up and town and kicks up when a belt is tied around his sensitive parts?   ??? ??? ???

Offline 2robots4u

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2007, 09:38:53 pm »
Just to add a note...if the bull does not perform up to par, the rider can ask for a re-ride, or the judges can decide the bull was sub-par and award the re-ride.  In the PBR the absolutely best bulls are held for the final 15 qualifiers....Doug

injest

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2007, 01:31:45 am »
Yes, how the cowboy rides the bull, his style, has always been scored, but how the bull bucks??!?!?  What makes the bull buck is that belt tied around his groin area.  Tie it tight enough and he'll buck.  Now, how they would breed for a bull that bucks and changes direction and bucks up and town and kicks up when a belt is tied around his sensitive parts?   ??? ??? ???

I do believe it has always been scored like that, Del.

but the belt does not make him buck...he is bucking to get the man off his back...the back strap is to encourage him to KICK...

and you breed for a bucking bull just like for anything else. You pick out the bull that shows the characteristic you want...(in this case bucking)  and breed him to a cow whose father shows the same characteristics..

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2007, 11:25:08 pm »
Heya,

So, I'm watching bull riding on TV again.  And, I think I'm understanding what I'm watching a little bit better!  Thanks to all the info here.

I have a new question.  How did 8 seconds become the standard?  Is there a story behind that?  Why not a nice round 10 seconds... or 7 seconds, etc., etc.?
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

injest

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2007, 01:48:00 am »
Heya,

So, I'm watching bull riding on TV again.  And, I think I'm understanding what I'm watching a little bit better!  Thanks to all the info here.

I have a new question.  How did 8 seconds become the standard?  Is there a story behind that?  Why not a nice round 10 seconds... or 7 seconds, etc., etc.?

???

got me stumped...don't know why!!  :laugh: