Author Topic: Big topic for debate on the TOB is the missing "I Love You"  (Read 7556 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Big topic for debate on the TOB is the missing "I Love You"
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 07:55:27 pm »
I think maybe the closest Ennis comes to saying "I love you" is "There ain't no reins on this one."

I agree with this one.  But, I would add that it's just as important that when Jack asks him how long they'll be together (under Ennis's horrible rule of only 'once in a while') Ennis says "for as long as we can ride it."  He's essentially saying he wants to be with Jack for as long as humanly possible.  I think this sentence softens the blow for Jack of Ennis's rejection of the cow and calf operation.  Otherwise... I think film-Ennis almost exclusively expresses his love physically (we know that book-Ennis is much more vocal about his affection).

Some of my favorite instances of Ennis's love are things like the hand-holding in the 1st tent scene, everything about the 2nd tent scene, his explosion of smiles and kisses for the reunion, the way he caresses Jack's arm in the motel (these caresses sometimes are his only response to Jack's comments... most importantly the "Brokeback got us good" comment... he really rubs Jack's arm there), etc. 

This topic is reminding me of all those old threads on the old board about Ennis falling in love first, etc.

As for Jack, well, he just wears his heart on his sleeve for me. 
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

vkm91941

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2006, 08:50:39 pm »
I think maybe the closest Ennis comes to saying "I love you" is "There ain't no reins on this one."

Yep, I agree with this statement about Jack.  Everything about him is right there in his eyes all the time. It would be so easy to crush him.   He's like a big ol puppy dog who gets kicked and comes right back and loves you just the same.    He is a  kind hearted and giving person. ... A cheeky, quicksilver character adrift in a world of less kindhearted strangers.

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2006, 09:28:10 pm »

Yep, I agree with this statement about Jack.  Everything about him is right there in his eyes all the time. It would be so easy to crush him.   He's like a big ol puppy dog who gets kicked and comes right back and loves you just the same.    He is a  kind hearted and giving person. ... A cheeky, quicksilver character adrift in a world of less kindhearted strangers.

That is so true Victoria! That is one of the reasons that last shot of his face after the flashback is so heartbreaking for me.  He looks so bitter and angry in that shot, like everything you just said about him finally had been crushed out, almost like he had no one to go back to and love (maybe because he had decided he was going to give up on Ennis? I'm not sure, I still haven't decided where I lie on this one...) This thread is making me really sad...   :'(
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline DeeDee

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2006, 10:45:05 pm »
I'm not real big on noticing symbolisms or subtleties.  I usually need several viewings to catch on.  The first time I saw the movie, and I saw that flashback scene, I immediately thought to myself, he's giving Ennis up.
The look on his face showed love lost, and heartbreaking resolve that he needed to move one and it was not going to be easy.

You're right, very depressing thread.. :'(
In America sex is an obsession.  In other parts of the world it is a fact.

Marlene Dietrich

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2006, 11:13:28 pm »
Heh, this is so reminiscent of my Lord of the Rings days.
;D Heh. Yep.

I would need to get better at making screencaps to catch the "I love you" moments. There's this smile that Ennis does -- and I'm not sure that Jack's looking at him most of those times -- but that's what says it, for me.
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2006, 11:23:59 pm »
Well, howdy, nakymaton!   Glad to see y' here.  Cuppa coffee, piece a cherry cake?  ;D

Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2006, 11:33:21 pm »
I agree with this one.  But, I would add that it's just as important that when Jack asks him how long they'll be together (under Ennis's horrible rule of only 'once in a while') Ennis says "for as long as we can ride it."  He's essentially saying he wants to be with Jack for as long as humanly possible.  I think this sentence softens the blow for Jack of Ennis's rejection of the cow and calf operation.

Definitely both Ennis' "no reins" and "ride it" remarks, and I would also add his "if this thing grabs hold of us at the wrong place, wrong time" -- as if Ennis' normally tucked-in passion is so uncontrollable that he can't fully trust himself not to burst into a public display of affection. As, in fact, he did in the apartment parking lot!

And Jack's cheek-caressing shortly afterward is another.

And re this:
that last shot of his face after the flashback is so heartbreaking for me.  He looks so bitter and angry in that shot, like everything you just said about him finally had been crushed out, almost like he had no one to go back to and love (maybe because he had decided he was going to give up on Ennis? I'm not sure, I still haven't decided where I lie on this one...)

I would add that pretty much everything Ennis said after Jack's speech, culminating in "I can't stand it no more" and a collapse mirroring the early one in the alley, is a way of saying "I love you" (not exactly an upbeat way of expresing it, of course). So is Jack's immediately comforting response.

Offline nakymaton

• aka Mel
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2006, 12:07:51 am »
Well, howdy, nakymaton!   Glad to see y' here.  Cuppa coffee, piece a cherry cake?  ;D
;D
Can't have no coffee just now, but I'll take some a that cherry cake. (Almost bedtime, you see. Plus I live too close to Texas to drink coffee. Or somethin' like that.)
Watch out. That poster has a low startle point.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2006, 01:50:34 am »
The scene when Ennis gets back from the bear incident....Jack begins to bitch (which he does so well btw) until he sees what has happened to Ennis.....then he turns to him and says in a very soft and calming voice....."what in the hell happened Ennis?" 

The way he says it........couldn't be more concerned......thats 'I love you' at its finest IMO!  But what the hell do I know...

vkm91941

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2006, 04:27:38 am »
The scene when Ennis gets back from the bear incident....Jack begins to bitch (which he does so well btw) until he sees what has happened to Ennis.....then he turns to him and says in a very soft and calming voice....."what in the hell happened Ennis?" 

The way he says it........couldn't be more concerned......thats 'I love you' at its finest IMO!  But what the hell do I know...

I would say you know one hellava lot my friend!  Good call :-*