Author Topic: ZODIAC at 100% on Rottentomatoes.com with five reviews...  (Read 15583 times)

moremojo

Re: ZODIAC at 100% on Rottentomatoes.com with five reviews...
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2007, 07:33:43 pm »
Really?
I'm afraid so. Long running times are hard on me, and more and more movies these days are clocking in well over two hours. Now seeing these in home-entertainment formats is much less daunting, but in the theater, 2-hours + tends to scare me off.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2007, 08:38:25 pm »
I don't mind a long movie if it holds my interest the entire time.  The Departed was about 2 hours and 40 minutes long, and that whizzed by.  And movies that others call "slow" don't bother me unless they're not furthering the narrative at all in one or more scenes.

Everything I've read about this one (yet I'm trying to avoid reading too much, ya know?) leads me to believe it's my cup o' tea.  The reviewers keep saying things like "intellectually stimulating," "makes you think," and "stays with you long afterwards."  I'm in.

No more beans!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2007, 12:53:05 am »
Luckily long running times aren't a problem for me.  I've been to two movies that were so long they had intermissions - in this day and age! - one was 70 mm Lawrence of Arabia re-release at some art house and I don't recall the name of the other movie, but it was about Gettysburg.  Clocked in at 4 hours, I think.  We got an intermission at 2 hours.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2007, 01:07:05 am »
I wish Brokeback Mountain was 3 hours long...  :D

(With the majority of the new 45 minutes being them up on the mountain, and in the Siesta Motel, and the third night in the tent!  :D  :D  :D )

moremojo

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 12:40:22 pm »
(With the majority of the new 45 minutes being them up on the mountain, and in the Siesta Motel, and the third night in the tent!  :D  :D  :D )
Now that's a running time I could live with!

Actually, some of my favorite films are long ones, including Jacques Rivette's Celine et Julie vont en bateau (well over three hours) and Andrei Tarkovsky's Solyaris. Long running times are hard on me, for a variety of reasons, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate a long film.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2007, 07:06:01 pm »
Now that's a running time I could live with!

Actually, some of my favorite films are long ones, including Jacques Rivette's Celine et Julie vont en bateau (well over three hours) and Andrei Tarkovsky's Solyaris. Long running times are hard on me, for a variety of reasons, but that doesn't mean I can't appreciate a long film.

Hey, I'm big fan of the Tarkovksy film SOLARIS.  The truncated Sodenberg version just didn't leave me thinking for days so to speak. 
Films are getting longer, they say on average..  One critic said something about how the camera just seems to linger for quite some type over the beautiful landscapes in BBM before anything happens. Fine with me. It set the mood. Just wish I had been able to see it in IMAX.   ;) 

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2007, 02:55:59 pm »
ZODIAC got a rave review from Jeffrey Lyons and Alison Bailes on "Reel Talk" on TV this morning.  They compared it in quality to "Silence of the Lambs" and said even though it's 2-1/2 hours long, they could have happily watched it longer.  Sounds like another hit for Jake!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2007, 03:13:04 pm »
Unfortunately, it only made USD 4,000,000 on Friday.   Do adult films have a prayer anymore or do they choose to watch things on dvd?.  It opened with good reviews.  I enjoyed the film. It seems ppl want popcorn films which offer escapism and a simplistic storyline.  This is not a feel-good film and you do have to pay attn as 99.5% of the audience stayed seated the whole time when I saw it yestereday.  Maybe ppl are renting the movies that scored big or were nominated for award season.  THE DEPARTED, BABEL are already out on DVD.  I really think the studios have made a mistake in getting ppl conditioned to the idea that it's going ALMOST straight to DVD, give it three months.

"Not good. That means it will make about 14 to 15 million this weekend. Will it make it to the 70 million budget. This movie will be like Fight Club. A boxoffice Flop but a great film."    I saw this posted on IMDB.com.   :(

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2007, 06:38:31 pm »
It's a shame Fight Club didn't do better.  I think it's Fincher's best film - I think it's better than Seven - much better.  I own it and watch it again every several months or so and it's still fresh.  It'll be a shame if this one follows suit.

But you know what?  People are stupid.  Largely, it's true.  They want to be "entertained," and then they want to go home and not have to think about it any more.  Hell, they'd rather not have to think about it while they're watching it if that can be helped.  I'll tell you what - as you and I just discussed privately, KD, there's a scene in this movie that's so disturbing, it keeps flashing across my mind when I least expect it and literally giving me a chill.  Brilliantly, devastatingly done.  I just asked my husband if it keeps coming back to him, too, and he goes, "OH yeah.  And thanks so much for reminding me."

I think it'll ultimately make back its costs and then some.  And FWIW, the people around us last night applauded when the credits started to roll, and were saying as they were walking out, "Wow.  That was GREAT."  I still just felt a little stunned.  Hmmmm...  Kinda like how I felt at the end of another movie after my first viewing of it...
No more beans!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2007, 11:04:31 pm »
Just came from seeing it.

The movie was very very good.  Too bad it came out so early in the year.  It will probably be forgotten by awards time next year.

It's almost documentary style, sticks to the facts and rarely 'Hollywood-izes' anything.
POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!   POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!  POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jake's character's presence in the movie was pretty negligible for the first hour or so.  Made you wonder why he was even in the movie. Chloe Sveigny (sp?) was wasted in a role that was very brief and not pivotal at all.  Jake was much better when you knew nothing about him other than he was a father.  He was like this enigmatic presence, always hovering like a coiled spring, ready to explode into no-one-knows-what.  My friend was puzzled at Graysmith's obssessiveness.  He seemed to have no motive for getting obssessed.  I think it was just his character.  Described as a retard, obviously quiet, didn't smoke, didn't do drugs, didn't cuss and had been a 1st class Eagle scout.  Someone who takes on a project and takes it all the way to the end.  I think that was the clue.  He had a passion for puzzles and he got caught up in one.

What was the name of that blue drink?

And I haven't googled to try to find out, but is it just me?  Or BBM flavoring my thoughts? 

At the end, the children ask why he 'no longer sleeps with mommy', the Graysmiths end up divorced and the man - single man - stays in San Francisco and 'has a good relationship' with his children.  No word of remarrying.

Is it just me?   ???