Author Topic: Top Favorite Films!  (Read 138495 times)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Top 5 Favorite Films!
« Reply #110 on: July 04, 2007, 12:01:03 pm »
Oh God, I love that movie too! It's in my top-5 too!

Really!? Cool. That's a great movie---I have seen it sooooo many times and I always don't want the little happy guy to get in the elevator or Malone to go on the porch!!!!! It's so sad. Plus Andy Garcia---yummy. All of the actors are great, aren't they? I also like the clothes and sets for that time period.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mvansand76

« Reply #111 on: July 04, 2007, 12:52:32 pm »
Really!? Cool. That's a great movie---I have seen it sooooo many times and I always don't want the little happy guy to get in the elevator or Malone to go on the porch!!!!! It's so sad. Plus Andy Garcia---yummy. All of the actors are great, aren't they? I also like the clothes and sets for that time period.

Oh God, yes, it's got so many tragic moments... just a few weeks ago I downloaded the Ennio Morricone soundtrack and the music of the Malone death scene just kills me every time. I think the scene on the stairs is one of the best scenes in film history, it's breathtaking!!! And yes, it's one of the best casts ever, Kevin Costner, Sean Connery, Andy Garcia... God! The only other cast that blew me away (well apart from that of one little movie called Brokeback Mountain) was of Mystic River, the guys in that movie created fireworks together!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #112 on: July 04, 2007, 01:22:02 pm »
I got ten that I've watched to death.

1. Brokeback Mountain
2. Dr. Zhivago
3. Chinatown
4. Annie Hall
5. Sunset Boulevard
6. Fargo
7. Vertigo
8. Roman Holiday
9. Rosemary's Baby
10. 2001, A Space Odyssey/ Solyaris (1972)

Yep, I like alot of different genres.  Dr Zhivago has an equally tragic ending as BBM.  Julie Christie was just so lovely.
Somebody lent me the dvd for CASABLANCA.  It's not Dr. Zhivago by a longshot.   ;)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #113 on: July 04, 2007, 01:50:29 pm »

Well I will agree that Chinatown is a super movie as well.  But Dr Zhivago would not get on my
list.  It was highly romantic, and I thought it drug out in places.  I did think it was a beautiful movie visually however.  All the period costumes, and the different locales.  From the old Russian architecture
to the snow, and wooded scenes.  It was beautiful.   For a very long time 2001 was one of my
top favorites as well.

Beautiful mind

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #114 on: July 04, 2007, 03:15:53 pm »
2.  Master and Commander--the far side of the world
3.   The Bounty
(Yes, I love tall ships---why do you ask?)

Yay, another tall ship fan!   8)

Shakestheground started a thread awhile ago for Master and Commander.  Want to add your 2 cents?  Go here: http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,8817.msg171952.html#msg171952.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #115 on: July 07, 2007, 01:30:08 am »
1.  Brokeback Mountain

2.  Ed Wood

3.  Black Orpheus

4.  Nights of Cabiria

5.  House on Haunted Hill

6.  Star Wars

7.  Alien

8.  Bye Bye Brazil

9.  From Hell

10. A Christmas Carol (Alistair Sim)

Offline min

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #116 on: June 20, 2009, 10:00:01 pm »
These are movies I 've watched many times, in no particular order except BBM-

Brokeback Mountain

Groundhog Day

Back to the Future

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe

Holiday Inn (Bing Crosby/Fred Astaire)

A Christmas Carol (Alistair Sims)

Killing Fields

The Green Mile

Pay it Forward

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
Re: Top Favorite Films!
« Reply #117 on: February 24, 2012, 10:00:47 pm »
Time to bump this thread.  My,  such an interesting lot of favorites!

Here are mine:

BBM

Casablanca--always stirring
Diva--my obsession about obsession
Some Like it Hot--'nobody's perfect'
North by Northwest--chilling Hitchcock, with an older and gorgeous Cary Grant
Undertow aka Contracorriente--the Peruvian BBM, no kidding
Latter Days--always touching
Shelter--a sentimental favorite
Billy Elliot--surprise ending gets me
Somewhere in Time--impossible love
A Single Man--Tom Ford's and Colin Firth's masterpiece
The Hours--Stephen Daldry's sumptuous adaptation of Michael Cunningham's extraordinary homage to Virginia Woolf
A Home at the End of the World--moving adaption of Michael Cunningham's first novel
Mon oncle d'amerique--a bizarre and very French film about angst and psychosomatics
Groundhog Day--just repeats and repeats
My Beautiful Laundrette--a very young Daniel Day Lewis
Summertime--Katherine Hepburn and Rossano Brazzi  :P in Venice
The Times of Harvey Milk--the best documentary, ever

Guilty pleasure:  Buckaroo Banzai

Please add yours!

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #118 on: February 24, 2012, 11:04:45 pm »
   I am glad that Paul, listed more than the compensatory 10 titles.  I had a hard time going to that figure.

Brokeback Mountain.  still my favorite, after 6 years.

Casablanca....             Ingrid Bergman,  Humphrey Bogart

The Shawshanke Redemption... Too much to even try to tell..

Lord of the Rings, trilogy  My favoite sequal type, can't wait for The Hobbit..

Picnic...........             Very beautiful Paul Newman

My fair Lady....            My favorite all time musical.

Gone with the wind.   Even though it is from way back in my birth year.  It still holds up.  For those who love it, and those                   
                                   who haven't seen it before.

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid,,,,,and The Sting.   I consider them one movie, even though they were not considered to be
                                  sequeled.   It was made to appease after the horrid end to BCASK.

East of Eden.......       James Dean, at his most vulnerable portrayal of a young man, under very difficult circumstance.

Madam X............        Lana Turner's probably best role.  As an unwed mother, and the resultant difficulties.  I was not her most ardent
                                   fan but she was very good in this one.

The Unforgiven....       I think it is Clint Eastwoods finest work still.  A western in the best sense of the term.

High Noon.........        It was the film with a still beautiful Gary Cooper, and it was the birth of the genre...simply perfection

The Joker.........         Heath's absolutely perfect portrayal of a crazed, maniac on the loose.   

Iron Man 1. ......         I found this movie to contain everything possible for its genre.  As well as great portrayals by Ribert Downey Jr.                                                                  Gweneth Paltrow,  and Jeff Bridges. 

Some like it hot....       It was just a wonderful romp, with an excellent cast.  Still holds up wonderfully well.  Loved it.

The Apartment....       Jack Lemmon, and Shirley MacClaine at their very beautiful best....

Man With the Golden Arm  Frank Sinatra's best job.

From here to Eternity...Very interesting portrayal of a misfit.

Pride and Prejudice.    The one with Keira Knightly and Matthew MacFadyen.  What a cast, and such a lovely portrayal of the
                                    Bennet family, and friends. 

Latter Days.........,.     Great, movie, even if it is kind of Brokeback Mountain light.

The Oxbow Incident....Henry Fonda, and a cast of character actors.  Highly recommended.  For many years, my absolute favorite.

River Runs through it..Beautiful movie directed by Robert Redford, and Starring Brad Pitt...stunning to look at, and wonderful cast.

Wizard of Oz..........     I have to admit, after watching the new reconditioned and extended to all of its parts version.  I like this movie
                                     much more than I did before.  It is more cohesive, and more informational.  I liked it a lot more...Glad they put
                                     it back to the way it was.  Before the truncated version was edited down for television, (allowing for     
                                     commercials.)  That was the only way I ever saw it before.  It was charming, but not over the top for me.  This
                                     version is well worth watching.

Rosemary's Baby.....     i am not a real fan of scary movies.  This was a very remarkable one though.  I really enjoyed being scared silly.
                                    Mia Farrow was mesmerizing in this movie.

You probably can tell I am very diverse in my tastes...  They don't all have to be Shakespeare  These are not in any particular order.  Except   
  for the first three.  Ii can't do that kind of a list.  I highly recommend them all, if you have not seen them.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 04:10:35 am by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #119 on: February 25, 2012, 12:48:33 am »
For some reason, at the moment, the only one that stands out besides BBM is Memento.