Author Topic: Fortunate Son by wannabebrit  (Read 4308 times)

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
Fortunate Son by wannabebrit
« on: March 04, 2007, 12:24:20 am »
I wanted to recommend this story for those of you who aren't reading it. I thought it deserved its own thread. I really think it's one of the best fics being written right now.

It takes place about 4 years after Brokeback, Jack has been sent to Vietnam, was injured and sent home. He finds Ennis who was married and then divorced from Alma, living alone in Riverton and working on a ranch. The writing is beautiful and Alexis deals with Jack's experiences in Vietnam incredibly well. He comes back with a form of Post traumatic stress disorder and his injury makes him unable to work his father's ranch, so he's trying to figure out how to go on with his life after what he's been through.

Here's a link to the most recent chapter (chapter 6), links to the rest can be found at the top!

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/985950.html?#cutid1
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

mvansand76

Re: Fortunate Son by wannabebrit
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 05:48:39 am »
This is a very special story with a very different kind of feel to it! I really had to get used to it, but I am hooked now... Jack is so sad, though, it makes me ache inside...  :'(

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 07:19:55 am »
Thanks Mandy for starting this thread  :) Helen got me hooked on this one  :) It's so well written but like Mel said, it really makes you ache for her poor Jack  :(

This was my feedback to the latest chapter:

**SPOILERS**

Beautiful update, I love this story but my heart aches for both of them now.  :'(  I worry so much about Jack and hate it that they are apart again   :'(  Hate Jack being in that godawful Lightning Flat again *sigh* 
Their sleepy sex was wonderful, so beautiful, so loving.  :)   I loved this part:

The angle and pace weren’t new, but Ennis felt an almost painful feeling as they f***ed, his gut twisting, knowing Jack would be leaving in a few hours. So he did what he could, told Jack with his hands, as he worked over his dick, steady and certain, that he would be missed. Told Jack with his kisses and the bite marks that he was wanted. Told him with their sex that it wasn’t just this – it was everything he would miss and still need, even when Jack walked out the door.

He’d never gone so slow or paid so much attention, but he felt it all, his sighs and little groans as the pressure in his dick built, Jack’s body trembling, the sweat forming as Ennis angled himself just right – and the way that their fingers felt as they flew over Jack’s dick together, wrenching out a climax that was both a hello and goodbye.

I also loved this line, it says so much:

He moved against Jack, just to let him know he was there.

I loved this part too, beautifully written and so sad: 

And as he got into his truck, he watched Ennis. Like a statue, he stood, his legs and feet locked in one place, his eyes on Jack’s truck. He had pushed the brim of his hat down, and stuffed his hands into his pockets, and Jack knew that he shouldn’t look at him too hard, because it was too much like leaving Brokeback all those years ago.

But he had to look – he had to take every last bit of Ennis in. He needed to remember what was waiting for him back here, because going home wasn’t going to be easy.

Loved Ennis being so open about Jack with his boss, loved him telling him that Jack was his best friend   :)
Loved the part too about Jack carving Ennis's initials into his helmet, that was heartbreaking.
Omg, these lines made me so sad:   :(

He wished he at least had something to go back to being.

But he was nothing before, and now, he was even less than nothing.

He felt like he didn’t even exist. 

But these ones gave me hope again too:

A glimmer of hope lived in him, seeing Ennis. He thought maybe, just maybe, if he could hang on and ride this out, nothing could become something again.

*Sigh*

Such a beautiful story.  :)  And so well written.  I just want Jack to be able to find some kind of inner peace and I want them back together again asap. 

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 11:52:55 am »
Their sleepy sex was wonderful, so beautiful, so loving.

Wasn't it? There is just something about sleepy sex... *sigh*

I also loved the part about the helmet and pictures... and though it was sad, I thought when Jack pulls over on the side of the road and the terror that creeps back into him at leaving Ennis, the one place he's felt safe since being home, was really well written...

There is just something about this story for me.
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 03:04:21 am »
I agree-a great story. Jack's war experience goes so beyond the whole BbM fic thing. It reminds us, regardless how we feel about the war in Iraq, the damage it does to those involved. I love this story because my thought process goes in such a different direction from other sagas.

O0

Heathen

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 07:13:12 pm »
Heya!

This story was updated today with Chapter 12!

http://wannabestories.livejournal.com/12985.html#cutid1

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

mvansand76

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 06:54:42 am »

mvansand76

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 05:04:26 pm »
Hey, isn't it time for a new chapter?

::)

;D

Offline alexisg

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 08:54:18 pm »
Hey, isn't it time for a new chapter?

::)

;D

About halfway through the next chapter.  I hope to have it up soon, before the end of the year push at my job begins! :)

mvansand76

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 03:04:07 am »
About halfway through the next chapter.  I hope to have it up soon, before the end of the year push at my job begins! :)

That's great news! Good luck with writing!  :-*