Author Topic: Mandatory Viewing  (Read 27428 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Mandatory Viewing
« on: April 19, 2006, 09:21:12 am »
My husband and I were talking about you-know-what last night, and he admitted that it actually has changed the way he thinks about gay men.  Here I always thought he was even more progressive than I, but it turns out he too had some of the deeply-ingrained homophobic thoughts and feelings I thought he was above having.  He said, "I think this movie should be mandatory viewing for, well..., everyone, but especially straight men.  Are they talking about showing it in colleges?"  I told him about what I know of some profs showing it already in Human Sexuality, Sociology and Psychology classes.

It got me to thinking what other movies should be mandatory viewing for the masses.  What movies have actually changed your understanding of some aspect of the human condition and made you a more generously loving person?  Here are some others that immediately come to mind to me:

The Accused
Schindler's List
Dead Man Walking
Snow Falling On Cedars
Rabbit-Proof Fence

No more beans!

moremojo

Re: Mandatory Viewing
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 09:31:03 am »
Great topic! Don't have a lot of time to chime in right now, but two titles that immediately come to mind are Au hasard Balthazar, directed by Robert Bresson, and Unsere Afrikareise, directed by Peter Kubelka. Both were made in 1966, and both are cinematic masterpieces. Both films deal, in their different ways, with the theme of human cruelty to non-human animals, and are really eye-openers on that score.

Another great film worthy of mention is Beau travail, a 1999 feature directed by Claire Denis. An updating of Herman Melville's Billy Budd, this beautiful film shows, like in Brokeback Mountain, how repressed homosexual desire can poison and destroy the lives of men. One of the last great films of the twentieth century, and one of the best gay-themed films I have seen.

Cheers,
Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 06:35:36 pm by moremojo »

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 09:35:33 am »
I just wanted to say, on the topic of teaching it in classes, my professor is teaching a course this summer with Brokeback (both story and film)

It's a literature into film course, so not about homophobia necessarily, but it will get a lot of people to see it... I know a few people myself who are taking that class but haven't seen Brokeback and said they weren't going to.  If only I weren't graduating this semester I would for sure take it  ::)

‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 04:37:38 pm »
I just wanted to say, on the topic of teaching it in classes, my professor is teaching a course this summer with Brokeback (both story and film)

It's a literature into film course, so not about homophobia necessarily, but it will get a lot of people to see it... I know a few people myself who are taking that class but haven't seen Brokeback and said they weren't going to.  If only I weren't graduating this semester I would for sure take it  ::)

HeHe... I am a teacher myself, and my pupils have to put up with me and what I choose to make them study throughout the school-year (they have no choice of courses). So guess what I will be making them study next academic year? Yes...!
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 04:40:17 pm »
Ma vie en rose!

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 04:50:56 pm »
Anyone heard of this French film, "Le Retour de Martin Guerre"? About (real) adultery, and how it is not always worthy of condemnation...
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 05:14:54 pm »
Anyone heard of this French film, "Le Retour de Martin Guerre"? About (real) adultery, and how it is not always worthy of condemnation...

I've heard of that.  Isn't it what "Somersby" with Jodie Foster and Richard Gere is based on?  Somersby returns after being in prison, but is he really her (abusive) husband who's changed, or someone who looks just like him but who is a generous, gentle soul?  I loved the premise of that movie.  I've been meaning to see the original ever since.
No more beans!

moremojo

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 05:16:01 pm »
Yes, I've seen this film, some time back when it was in theatrical release. One feels great sympathy for Nathalie Baye's character--like Ennis, in her very different way, she was doing the best she could with what she knew and expected from her world. A wonderful performance among many, in a very intelligent and thought-provoking period film.

Alain Resnais's great 1959 film Hiroshima mon amour, with a screenplay by Marguerite Duras, is another movie where adulterous characters are treated with great sympathy and insight.

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 06:37:32 pm by moremojo »

Offline monimm18

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 11:45:28 pm »
Barb, you got a good list there. If I may add:

No Man's Land
Malena
Mediterraneo
Taking Sides
The Elephant Man
Burnt by the Sun

"Don't be merely satisfied with a better life. We should demand to live in a better world."

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 11:57:55 pm »
Heathers
Donnie Darko