Author Topic: Didn't any boy cry? This girl certainly did...  (Read 21245 times)

Scott6373

Re: Didn't any boy cry? This girl certainly did...
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2007, 10:08:13 am »

C'mon people, move on up to the 20 th century. You'll only be a couple a decades behind the rest a the world.

That sounds a little harsh.  There are valid reasons for why an individual comes down on whatever side of the debate they come down on.  I certainly do not champion killing for killing's sake, but with my paricular perspective, I can't say that totally oppose capital punishment.

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2007, 10:23:52 am »

That sounds a little harsh.  There are valid reasons for why an individual comes down on whatever side of the debate they come down on.  I certainly do not champion killing for killing's sake, but with my paricular perspective, I can't say that totally oppose capital punishment.

Sorry, but that's how I truly feel, and I WAS trying to be sensitive on the subject in statin it that way.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Scott6373

« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2007, 10:37:49 am »
Sorry, but that's how I truly feel, and I WAS tryin to be sensitive on the subject in stating it that way.

Then I take great offense at your unsuccessful attempt at sensitivity.  How dare you suggest that because I may hold a different opinion than yours, that I am not "in the 20th century", or infer that I am not as enlightened as you.  That's a pompous and elitist attitude. 

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2007, 10:43:37 am »
I think the Capital puinshment only offers a short term solution to a very complex societal problem. Sure, like Del mentioned, it does help to get really dangerous people with no hope of rehabilitation out of circulation. But what about the rests? A lot of killers, very dangerous killers I must add, escape the death penalty by choosing to confess. On the othe hand, society keeps producing criminals and killers. What do we do to stop that, killing them all? It doesn't make sense. I think money spent in building a huge millitary apparatus or in a war, should be used in creating programs to erradicate crime and murder. At least to reduce it.

I don't know this for a fact but a lot of crimes are drug induced. Lots of killers do their killing, their raping under the influence of drugs. And instead of treating drug addiction as disease as other counties do, it is considered a crime. Drug addicts are usually sent to jail. Some are sent to rehabilitation programs but this usually happens when they are first time offenders. Repeated offenders are sent to jail, where they don't get proper treatment. If this problem was address in a different fashion, I think the crime rates will significantly decrease.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2007, 11:16:23 am »
correct me if I am wrong but didn't the Brandon Teena murder take place in Omaha, Nebraska?

Also, one of the reasons for the repeal of the death penalty in Illinois was due to the exonerating influence of new techniques of DNA analysis which proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that there were innocent men on Death Row.  Their gubernatorial pardons, and the repeal of the death penalty has been shown in the light of further advances in forensic analysis that WE ARE EXECUTING THE INNOCENT in America.

Executing the guilty is one question - executing the innocent is state-sanctioned murder, in my opinion, and that is why we need to repeal the death penalty in the USA.  And because our justice system is imperfect, and has been demonstrated to be flawed in this supremely dangerous fashion, we cannot impose the final and irreversible penalty on those whom we cannot know are guilty.

As far as whether or not there is a fitting punishment for the crime, the most heinous sex crimes are never brought before a court, nor do the victims raise an accusation against the perpetrator, for these crimes are done between parents and children, cousins, uncles and aunts and nieces and nephews, etc. etc. etc.  The most helpful thing we can do is to give support to the victims, and to encourage them to seek justice for themselves in the way that most supports their own healing and recovery.  And that is my "non theoretical" opinion.  More on this, I will not say.

“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

injest

« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2007, 11:22:39 am »
I just saw "Boys don't cry" for the first time on DVD last night, and am still trying to recover from the shock/pain/immense sorrow. I had heard of the film, as a good film to watch, which dealt with homosexuality, but I didn't read anything (not even the synopsis on the jacket really) before I watched. Even though I thought it was fiction, I was 'living' the bloody thing as I was watching. But oh, when I read at the end what happened to the main characters in real life and realised it was a true story, my blood curled. I froze and felt SO much for Brandon/Teena  :'(

Which brings me to this reflection: as a typical European, I oppose capital punishment. I know, it is easy for me, not having come remotely close in real life to anyone who has ever been seriously mugged. But when I read on the screen that one of the culprits had been sentenced to death and was trying to have his sentence commuted, my gut reaction that second was "you can bloody well die, you bastard!". Then 2 seconds later I came round and thought "and what good will it do Brandon/Teena?"
This was like a test for me: I felt so much for this girl/boy, and hated the rapists'/murderers' guts so much, I still quickly found it in myself, in my reasoning, to oppose that bastard's death sentence.

But boy, Texas, what a place, hunh??! And that happened in 1993. Makes me all the more certain that Jack was murdered.

you have no idea how many people have pooh poohed me when I have expressed fear living here...deep in the heart of the dead woods. Wednesday a young black man was dragged from a SUV because he is dating a white girl...they say he lost his nose, cheek and eye.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2007, 11:26:57 am »
The United States has a higher murder rate than industrialized countries that don't have capital punishment. States with capital punishment have higher murder rates than states without capital punishment.

This correlation doesn't prove that capital punishment causes murder. (It's possible that it's the other way around, that countries and states with higher murder rates institute capital punishment because they see more of a need for it.)

But it does suggest that capital punishment doesn't work, either as a deterrent or as a method for keeping murderers off the streets.

Jess, your post came in while I was writing this. That is absolutely sickening.

injest

« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2007, 11:29:51 am »
This is a very interesting conversation.  If I may, let me put in my .25 cents.  .

Back in my early twenties, after my first real long term relationship had ended, I had a tough time getting back into the whole social scene, but eventually I did.  One night, after having a relatively enjoybale night with friends a bar in Boston (I live about 30 minutes north, so I drove into town), I left at closing time...yes alone...get your minds outta the gutter, and started to cross the public gardens, because my car was parked on the other side.  Half way across, a group of drunk men (I won't say straight because I don't to insult straight people by calling them that), started to follow me.

Eventually they cornered me in a dark part of the park.  I was beaten and raped and left there.  Here's my question.  If I had the ability, after they had finished with me, to get up and kill each one...would that not be capitol punishment?  I am no longer defending myself, I am exacting revenge, but...am I entitled?

no, it would still have been self defence, Scott. you would have been defending your own soul. The damage to your body heals. I don't know (speaking from experience myself) what will heal the soul. Seems to me to be pretty much still tattered...(mine I mean)

injest

« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2007, 11:34:17 am »
Yeah, I couldn't ask that much, I think from your stand point it would be justice served, as rightly so. What bothers me about Capitol Punishment is the finality of it, how it is abused both past and present. Once an innocent person is put to death, you can't bring them back. 

I dont have a problem with the death penalty as a punishment...only with it as it is currently being used. The day a white, well educated, wealthy middle aged man gets the death penalty I may feel differently. It is odd to me that the only people we have executed here in Texas were poor and ill educated....cause I am fairly sure they are not the only ones commiting the crimes...

injest

« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2007, 11:35:20 am »
To answer the query of this thread.  Boys do cry.  Trust me.

{{{Scott}}}