Author Topic: Production Mistakes I think they Made on the Movie  (Read 165590 times)

mvansand76

Re: Production Mistakes I think they Made on the Movie
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2007, 03:40:55 pm »
THE LOG ALWAYS DRIVES ME NUTS!  >:(

What about the hood of the car in the "You gonna do this again" scene?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2007, 04:48:43 pm »
You know they filmed the movie in reverse the big sideburn shots were done first I'm told they they cut them off for the earlier shots.

Wait a minute. Are you saying those sideburns are real?  :laugh: I would have thought they could just peel them off for earlier shots.

[/quote]
I never noticed the stick of firewood.  :-\

How about the beans? Or the pie?

Offline RossInIllinois

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2007, 12:47:22 am »
Wait a minute. Are you saying those sideburns are real?  :laugh: I would have thought they could just peel them off for earlier shots.

After looking closer the burns are stick ons but darn expensive ones.

Offline Garry_LH

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2007, 01:45:17 pm »
There are a lot of prop problems in the film. There are also a lot of incredibly accurate moments. Jack & Lurren's home was so on the mark, it made me want to gag in memory of the style of the period. The homes of Ennis and Alma also feel like homes, no matter how poor. I really wish Dana was still hanging around. He could give us a better idea of when, if ever, the rural electric reached certain places in Wyoming. If you notice where Ennis is living when Jack makes the trip after hearing about Ennis's divorce, there's an old wind powered electric generator still setting on top of it's mill. It would not surprise me to find there are isolated spots even today that depend on such alternate forms of energy.

In accuracy, if you want to go back to the beginning of the film, that old rusty white GMC, we see setting off in the well mowed grass as Jack makes his entrance, it would have been nearly new, if not a year newer, than 1963. Jack's blue Ford had rust streaks from under the camper shell. I strongly suspect the reason we keep seeing the same 1960's cars recycled in the film, is the way too tight budget such a period movie needs to make it fully believable. And still, Brokeback Mountain' is a masterpiece that will be examined, taught, and talked about for decades to come.

The Twist house does feel overly stark. I tend to agree though, that Ang Lee did this on purpose. And yes, that ice box should at the very least been a gas or propane fired fridge. I'd say the house's starkness bothers me more by not giving us much feeling of Mrs. Twist's presence. Like at my grandparents old place. A bit of old wall paper, those old black and white pictures of long dead relatives, Then the only thing we see on the Twist place that would have been modern, was the old Man's pickup truck. Speaking to the old man's priorities in life perhaps? And, just how much his persona tried to crush Jack's spirit... and most certainly that of his wife.

Then, there is another possibility. From what I've read, the scene at the Twists was the last one shot. With that side step into the lost hippy rescue scene, it's possible they were running short on funds by the time they got down to that last location. I would guess, Focus Features now wishes they had put more than the fourteen million into shooting the film than they did.

Ohhh... Lardy... Shakes was over at Yahoo back when I was!!!

I will say the make up around Heath's eyes from after Ennis finds out about Jack's death is a bit much. At certain points, it looked to me like it was trying to peel off his face.

I'd have to go dig out the short story, but I was thinking the commuting line is in there as well... Now where did I put the book so I wouldn't lose it?

You know... did they have a continuity director on this film?  Or did budget restraints mean, Ang Lee had to wear two dozen caps? 

Yeah, Ennis not getting the hood on the truck shut, and then it being closed when Jack walks back around his truck, that's another... awww come on moment for me too. And yeah, I know the dialog would have been hard to film, but you don't shut off an old truck just after you got it started after setting a couple of months.

Hmmm... wonder what part of Jake they shaved to make those burns?
It could be like this, just like this... always.

Offline RossInIllinois

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2007, 02:15:20 pm »
Yes they did have a script supervisor on the film. She is in charge of continunity and making sure any script variances in filming are noted for the editors. She is also in charge of making sure scenes "match" with each other such as the missing log. She also "times" each scene filmed so they know how long the film is running. Every film has such a person she/he usually works right next to the Director when filming.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2007, 06:56:17 pm »
I'd have to go dig out the short story, but I was thinking the commuting line is in there as well... Now where did I put the book so I wouldn't lose it?

The "commuting" line is in the story, and,  notwithstanding Annie Proulx's acknowledged genius, I don't think it sounds right in the story either, for a kid raised when and where Jack was raised.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2007, 07:01:34 pm »

What about the beans and the pie? I don't remember anyone commenting on any problem with beans. As for the pie, if you mean Ennis's piece of apple pie in the bus station coffee shop, I've tried to spot a problem with that and I can't. Maybe it's just another camera angle thing, but it always just looks to me like a piece of pie that's been fiddled with on the plate as well as had a few bites taken out of it. Maybe if you watch the scene frame by frame on a PC. ...  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2007, 07:06:27 pm »
The "commuting" line is in the story, and,  notwithstanding Annie Proulx's acknowledged genius, I don't think it sounds right in the story either, for a kid raised when and where Jack was raised.  :-\

Well, we know that Jack read magazines, he had a picture from a tabloid pinned up on his bedroom wall. He tried to improve himself, and one of the ways was thru his vocabulary!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2007, 08:00:32 pm »
Two I have noticed. When J & E leave Signal in August the same two pickups are parked on the street as when jack return the next year.

At the lake scene you can tell when Ennis collapses into Jack that it was taken from two takes.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2007, 08:50:35 pm »
Well, we know that Jack read magazines, he had a picture from a tabloid pinned up on his bedroom wall. He tried to improve himself, and one of the ways was thru his vocabulary!!

Tell you what, I'm glad you mentioned that picture pinned to the wall (in the story), Lee! I've been meaning to ask, is there some movie star picture pinned to the bedroom wall--like, maybe, over the bed?--in the film? I've never been able to see whether there is one there, or not.  ???