Author Topic: Production Mistakes I think they Made on the Movie  (Read 165598 times)

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Production Mistakes I think they Made on the Movie
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2007, 09:13:47 pm »
I have one that is bugging me lately.  I think that everyone agrees that the dozy embrace had to happen at the very end of the time up on the mountain, when Jack and Ennis were at Camp Site 2, or at least I think people do and that is what makes most sense.

But if you look closely at the background during the whole dozy embrace scene, the scenary looks much more like Camp Site 1.  There is no strange white wooden thing, no stream, no bridge.

It dosn't make sense, or did they think it wouldn't be noticed?

Or am I mistaken?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2007, 09:33:19 pm »
Actually dozy embrace (flashback scene) must have happened when they were in the second camp, because Ennis had to leave to go up with the sheep.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2007, 09:56:42 pm »
Actually dozy embrace (flashback scene) must have happened when they were in the second camp, because Ennis had to leave to go up with the sheep.

Yes, that's what I thought.  But if you look real carefully at the film, it looks like the DE was fillmed at the first campsite. it dosn't make sense except that Ang and co. got lazy or somethng.

And another one.  During the 'I aint queer scene' the sheep are visible in the backgroud by the trees.  But according to the Finding Brokeback site that scene was filmed at a completely different mountain than all the other scenes.  So the sheep pasture are in that scene looks totally different that the sheep scene just before that. It obviously isn't the same place, even though it is supposed to be.  That bothers me.

Or am I going overboard now?

injest

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2007, 10:08:50 pm »
From the first viewing I started picking up on things I didn't think were quite right, starting with the semi that dumps Ennis in Signal, I thought it didn't seem period, but after numerous viewings I am used to it now.

Jack's use of the word Asphyxiate always seems out of place, as does "commuting" 4 hours a day.

But my favorite is Uncle Harold's disappearing stick of wood off the chopping block.

I always thought of this as part of Jack's charm...picturing him reading Time and Life to get a feel of the world outside of his little corner of the world...and to appear more educated and worldly!!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2007, 11:40:44 pm »
I don't remember anyone commenting on any problem with beans.

Oops! I mean peanuts -- the jars in the grocery store that magically right themselves after spilling on the floor.

As for the pie, if you mean Ennis's piece of apple pie in the bus station coffee shop, I've tried to spot a problem with that and I can't.

OK, you got me here, too. I've heard about the pie but to be honest am not sure I've actually seen the discrepency with my own eyes.

But here's one I have seen with my own eyes, and I've never seen anybody else mention it. During the "happy tussel" after TS2, I see a mule start to walk out from behind a bush, and then what appears to be a man step out and pull the mule back behind the bush. If you're in doubt and want to take a close look without putting in the DVD, check out the scene in "4 Nights in 20 Years":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZTMBth4-lg&search=brokeback

Offline Cameron

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2007, 11:52:19 pm »
I have one more that bothers me.  When Ennis goes into the tent for TS1, he has the blanket and he covers himself when he lies down.

When Jack reaches for his hand, the blanket is gone, completely!

Where did it go?  Since it is so cold that night, he wouldn't have gotten rid of it, and its not covering him at all when Jack takes his hand.

I think there was another mistake here.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2007, 01:08:58 am »
And when they wake up Jack is again wearing his jacket.
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline RossInIllinois

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2007, 03:39:20 am »
Oops! I mean peanuts -- the jars in the grocery store that magically right themselves after spilling on the floor.

OK, you got me here, too. I've heard about the pie but to be honest am not sure I've actually seen the discrepency with my own eyes.

But here's one I have seen with my own eyes, and I've never seen anybody else mention it. During the "happy tussle" after TS2, I see a mule start to walk out from behind a bush, and then what appears to be a man step out and pull the mule back behind the bush. If you're in doubt and want to take a close look without putting in the DVD, check out the scene in "4 Nights in 20 Years":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Stumble4-lg&search=brokeback

OMG that is so funny I never noticed that before in the Happy Tussle scene way to the left of frame you can see someone hiding in the bushes. Most likely one of the animal wranglers or a production assistant.

What I noticed about the pie scene was in some takes the pie looked 1/2 eaten and in others it appears almost whole and it changes from shot to shot. This scene must have taken several takes to complete and at some point the pie had to be "refreshed".

Yes indeed another Miss match are the peanuts on the shelf at the A&P. Clearly the bottom jars were fallen and broken in the first sequence. These are pretty bad mistakes and fall squarely in the lap of the script supervisor and Ange lee and the Prop Department.

This is the problem when you are making a film on a tight budget like BBM was. Mistakes are made in all films but are usually corrected and screwed up Miss matched sequences are usually noted by the editors and then re shot later to fix the problem's but here it proves that "no money" means "No fix". Also No Money meant they had to "Cheat" some scenes like the camp sites and sheep positions to the camp site because it was more economical that way. Its a Shame they didn't have enough money and maybe 2 extra weeks of production time to finessed this film better. It could be these very issues that cost BBM its best picture Oscar and not really the gay issue but I assume it was a little of both.

Did you also happen to notice in the scene where Ennis and Alma are going to bed and Ennis has the pajama bottoms on the fly is badly gapping in several shots and the editors have blackened out on the negative the "little guy" trying to be the scene stealer??

What really would have helped on BBM is if they would have paid for a Top End script supervisor the Bitchy Bitch Bitch Bitch kind I have worked with on some films before that REALLY have an eye for the details and somehow sees every speck of dust that is out of place. However sometimes Producers hate this type of supervisor because they see them as being over cautious and costing them money because they are so anal. I think it would seem on a low budget film such as BBM it would pay in the long run to "deal" with such a persons perfectionism. However in defense of the script supervisor in many cases the script supervisor is the directors choice and some directors choose a script person because he/she says nothing and lets the director do what he dam pleases this could be the case here also. Some directors are known for mis matched sequences and as long as they are small don't care, its just part of there style of film making.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 03:22:01 pm by RossInIllinois »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2007, 08:59:11 am »

Got me there. That's another thing I'm not sharp enough to catch. Anybody ever count how many jars are left upright in the one shot compared to how many are standing in the other shot?  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2007, 09:06:01 am »
And when they wake up Jack is again wearing his jacket.

Tell you what, this is something that I've never considered a production mistake or continuity error--though perhaps it might be to someone involved in the technical side of film-making. We don't see every second of them having sex. Seems perfectly natural to me, on such a cold night, that Jack would put his coat back on before going back to sleep.

I've just assumed that what happened was that Ennis, who, apparently, was drunker than Jack, "pulled out," collapsed, and went right to sleep--without even bothering or taking/having the time to pull his pants back up, as we see the next morning. Jack, on the other hand, who wasn't quite as drunk as Ennis, just took the time to put his coat on.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.