Author Topic: Production Mistakes I think they Made on the Movie  (Read 165793 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Production Mistakes I think they Made on the Movie
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2007, 03:49:19 pm »
And jack would have had to take the mule to the sheep to see Ennis after TS1.

??? You mean ride the mule? What about his mare?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline jpwagoneer1964

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Me and my 1951 DeSoto Suburban
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2007, 03:51:55 pm »
Well no, bet he would had to bring them in tow much like we see Ennis do when he goes to the bridge to get supplies. We see the   horses in that scene but not the mules. Just something Jack would of had to do in real life.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2007, 04:32:28 pm by jpwagoneer1964 »
Thank you Heath and Jake for showing us Ennis and Jack,  teaching us how much they loved one another.

Offline RossInIllinois

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2007, 04:25:55 pm »
Hey, Westerners, do they use propane refrigerators on ranches? 

Forgive an iggorant Easterner here. ...  ;D

I understand it's common among our Amish population here in Central Pennsylvania for homes to have propane refrigerators so they can have the safety and modern convenience of refrigeration without the "connection to the outside world" of electric power lines, but it never occurred to me that propane fridges might be used on isolated ranches.
Yes they do make Fridges that run on propane and natural gas. However because we do see electric lamps in the Trist Sr. home you can  assume an electric Fridge would have been appropriate for the setting and after all this sequence is supposed to be 1982/83.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2007, 04:31:40 pm »
Yes they do make Fridges that run on propane and natural gas. However because we do see electric lamps in the Trist Sr. home you can  assume an electric Fridge would have been appropriate for the setting and after all this sequence is supposed to be 1982/83.

Good point 'bout the 'lectric lights in the Twist house, Ross. I forgot about that!

This talk of propane fridges reminds me that my grandparents' first travel trailer had a little refrigerator that could run on either electricity, if they were in a campground that had electric hookups, or propane, for when no electricity was available.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline nic

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • No man is an island
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2007, 05:26:47 am »
I take it a "mangle" is what folks in the U.K. call what folks in the U.S. generally call a washboard--like when Alma is scrubbing the clothes when she asks Ennis to wipe Alma, Jr.,'s nose?

Actually a mangle is/was a set of two rollers through which you pass the wet laundry to wring out as much water as possible.  Could be nasty if you caught your fingers in it!

That's just made me realise that even though they lived upstairs from the laundromat, Alma still did some washing by hand.  Maybe they did a big load in the laundromat now & then but couldn't use it all the time cos of the cost.
Old Brokeback got us good and it sure ain't over

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2007, 08:52:11 am »
Actually a mangle is/was a set of two rollers through which you pass the wet laundry to wring out as much water as possible.  Could be nasty if you caught your fingers in it!

Oooh! A "mangle" is a "wringer"!  ;D When I was little my maternal grandmother had what we called a "wringer washer." It was a washing machine with an electric-powered agitator for washing the clothes, but then you had to manually pass the wet clothes through the "wringer" to wring out the water. The wringer was also electrically powered (in the "old days" I understand you had to crank 'em by hand).

Needless to say, little Jeff Wrangler wasn't allowed anywhere near that electrically powered "wringer."  ;D

These "wringer washers" apparently gave rise to the American expression, "See you in the wash, if I don't get caught in the wringer!"  ;D

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2007, 10:10:29 am »
These "wringer washers" apparently gave rise to the American expression, "See you in the wash, if I don't get caught in the wringer!"  ;D

Hmm ... Are you sure that's not just a Pennsylvania expression, Jeff?  :laugh: I have heard the expression to "put (someone) through the wringer" as in, to subject them to harsh questioning or reprimanding or an ordeal of some sort.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2007, 10:30:58 am »
Hmm ... Are you sure that's not just a Pennsylvania expression, Jeff?  :laugh: I have heard the expression to "put (someone) through the wringer" as in, to subject them to harsh questioning or reprimanding or an ordeal of some sort.

I wouldn't know, but last time I checked, Pennsylvania was still in America. They haven't kicked us out--yet--for voting for Kerry.  ;D

Regardless, I'm sure that's where "to put someone through the wringer" came from.

Can you imagine, "to put someone through the mangle"? Eeew. ...  :laugh:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 06:32:44 pm by Jeff Wrangler »

Offline RossInIllinois

« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2007, 09:26:04 pm »
I wouldn't know, but last time I checked, Pennsylvania was still in America. They haven't kicked us out--yet--for voting for Kerry.  ;D

Regardless, I'm sure that's where "to put someone through the wringer" came from.

Can you imagine, "to put someone through the mangle"? Eeew. ...  :laugh:

FYI  a Mangle is different than a wringer  similar, but different. A Mangle can wring but also presses large items such as table cloths and sheets.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 09:29:46 pm by RossInIllinois »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2007, 09:04:20 am »
FYI  a Mangle is different than a wringer  similar, but different. A Mangle can wring but also presses large items such as table cloths and sheets.

The way nic used the term, sounds like mainly a size thing. But size does matter. ...  ;)