Author Topic: Discussion of BBM in Spanish - BBM en Español!  (Read 5690 times)

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Discussion of BBM in Spanish - BBM en Español!
« on: March 21, 2007, 03:51:50 pm »
Muy bien. He abierto este tema (no sé cómo se dice thread en español!) por sugerencia de Melissa (Snuitje) para conversar sobre Brokeback en castellano. Para los que no saben, ella ha hecho lo mismo pero en holandés y alemán. Pero antes de proseguir, para aquellas personas que deseen escribir en castellano lo más correctamente posible pero no tienen los acentos ni la ñ en su teclado, aqui les proveo las letras para que copien y peguen:

á   é   í   ó  ú  ñ  Ñ  ¿   ¡

Translation: Very well. I have opened this thread as suggested by Melissa (Snuitje) to discuss Brokeback in castilian. She did the same in dutch and german. But before I go on, for those who want to write in Spanish as correctly as possible, here are the letters with accents and the ñ for you to copy and paste.

Hay un tema que me parece que no se ha discutido en ninguno de los temas ya abiertos en el foro y que siempre me ha gustado. Se trata de la influencia hispana dentro de la historia. No sólo el apellido de Ennis (del Mar) o de Joe Aguirre sino los rasgos culturales presentes en la trama, que en mi opinión tienen algo que ver con la cultura española. Por ejemplo, la cultura paternalista, la conducta de Ennis en relación con Alma, la reacción del padre de Jack al negarse a darle las cenizas a Ennis y su necesidad de enterrar a Jack.

A mi me parece que el padre de Jack se niega a esparcir las cenizas no porque odiase a su hijo sino por la necesidad que hay en algunas familias de tener a los seres queridos cerca, incluso después de muertos. En los países latinoamericanos (y en España antiguamente), es una tradición muy común. A los muertos no se les abandona y mucho menos se ponen en manos de desconocidos. Ennis no era un desconocido para Jack, pero sí lo era para sus padres, por más de que Jack les hablara de Ennis. Yo sé que Wyoming representa probablemente a la America profunda, pero esta localizado precisamente en la parte de Estados Unidos que perteneció a España en una época y creo que subsisten algunos rasgos culturales, así como siguen sobreviviendo muchos nombres y apellidos españoles.

Well, if it is too hard to understand, let me know!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 03:58:21 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

mvansand76

Re: Discussion of BBM in Spanish - BBM en Español!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 04:48:26 pm »
Ha! I understood the first paragraph even without translation.... múy bien!  ;D

You have a theme you want to talk about is (...)...The influence of Spain on history...Not only the names of Ennis del Mar or Joe Aguirre...(...) For example...the parental culture and the behavious of Ennis in his relation to Alma, the reaction of Jack's dad and his refusal to give up Jack's ashes...

:P Tired now... let me post this and you can tell me if you like the direction I am going...

mvansand76

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2007, 04:58:26 pm »
A mi me parece que el padre de Jack se niega a esparcir las cenizas no porque odiase a su hijo sino por la necesidad que hay en algunas familias de tener a los seres queridos cerca, incluso después de muertos. En los países latinoamericanos (y en España antiguamente), es una tradición muy común. A los muertos no se les abandona y mucho menos se ponen en manos de desconocidos. Ennis no era un desconocido para Jack, pero sí lo era para sus padres, por más de que Jack les hablara de Ennis. Yo sé que Wyoming representa probablemente a la America profunda, pero esta localizado precisamente en la parte de Estados Unidos que perteneció a España en una época y creo que subsisten algunos rasgos culturales, así como siguen sobreviviendo muchos nombres y apellidos españoles.

:P

I think the reason why Jack's father did not give the ashes because....(...) In countries in Latin America (and in Spain in bygone days) there is a strong communal tradition. The dead are not abandoned and given to the hands of strangers. Ennis wasn't a stranger to Jack, but he was a stranger to his father, even though Jack talked to his father about him. Wyoming represents the fundamental problem of America...

That's about as far as I got, how did I do?

;)

Offline opinionista

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2007, 05:08:35 pm »
Ha! I understood the first paragraph even without translation.... múy bien!  ;D

You have a theme you want to talk about is (...)...The influence of Spain on history...Not only the names of Ennis del Mar or Joe Aguirre...(...) For example...the parental culture and the behavious of Ennis in his relation to Alma, the reaction of Jack's dad and his refusal to give up Jack's ashes...

:P Tired now... let me post this and you can tell me if you like the direction I am going...

More or less LOL. Actually what I meant is that I think there's more relation to the spanish culture in the story that goes beyond Ennis and Joe's last names. I think part of the reason why Jack's father refuses to give Jack's ashes to Ennis might be related to the culture. I know, Wyoming is probably considered the core of the American culture, with cowboys and such but it was for a long time part of Spain. The whole American west was. I'm not sure if Wyoming in itself belonged to Spain but its surroding did. Well, there's a tradition within the spanish culture that is still alive in some latin american countries though not so much in Spain (not anymore anyway) about not to abandon their dead and let alone put then in the hand of strangers. That is far more important than complying with the dead person's wishes. It is important for the family to keep their dead close to home. It is just a theory of mine, I'm sure a lot of people disagree.

I know many of think Jack's dad refused to spread the ashes in Brokeback out of depise for his son, but I don't think he actually despised him. Child abuse was unfortunately something common in certain parts of America and still is, and it has nothing to do with hating your children.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 11:26:23 am »
Por lo visto nadie quiere practricar el Español  :-\ El que quiera, bienvenido sea! :D

mvansand76

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 03:47:16 pm »
Oh I am so sorry I did not respond! I have not been on Bettermost that much this week!  :-\

As for Jack's father, I do think he actually hated Jack. He of course also had an inkling that Jack was gay and that made him hate him even more. But when you really look at it, he didn't hate Jack as much as he hated himself....

Offline ennis

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 09:52:42 am »
Hola a todos amiigos!!
Acabo de ver esta sección,y estoy encantado de que se haya abierto un espacio en español, para seguir comentando nuestra Brokeback.
Espero que se vaya  animando poco a poco.
¡Que no decaiga!
Besos y Abrazos para todos,brokies!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 10:05:21 am »
Hola a todos amiigos!!
Acabo de ver esta sección,y estoy encantado de que se haya abierto un espacio en español, para seguir comentando nuestra Brokeback.
Espero que se vaya  animando poco a poco.
¡Que no decaiga!
Besos y Abrazos para todos,brokies!

Hey Ennis,

Muchas gracias por contestar! Yo ya estaba preocupada de que nadie quisiese compartir en castellano! No sabes el alegrón que me has dado!  :D