Author Topic: Other gay-themed movies  (Read 141647 times)

Offline azphil

• Don't Say Much
Re: Other gay-themed movies
« Reply #140 on: July 08, 2006, 08:48:50 pm »
Well, Li'l Imp.....

I've got the Unrated version and don't know if I'd trust what might have been cut out of Rated one (I'd imagine you wouldn't want to miss any of this one).

I see DeepDiscount seems only to have Rated version.  Checking DVDPriceSearch.com shows Overstock.com has U-version for $21.24, and they always get DVDs to me fast.  It's about the same price new on Amazon if you use, not them, but one of their listed sellers.

Enjoy.

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #141 on: July 11, 2006, 05:01:34 am »
Enjoy

PS--This for JudeW who has mentioned at least a couple of times about waiting for "Burnt Money" on DVD.  Don't know where you've been, but this one's been out on DVD for a couple of years or so.  Just go to Amazon.com and do a search on this title---there's even some better pricing on some of the Used copies.
Thank you Azphil, but is this solely Region 1? I'm from Europe and would prefer a Region 2.

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #142 on: July 12, 2006, 04:40:48 am »
Yesterday I finally watched "Sommersturm" ("Summer Storm"). I had it in my dvd-collection for months but totally forgot about it in my Brokeback Mountain fever...  ::)

Well, I'm really glad I watched it now. It's very sweet, if not always totally believable. An all gay teenage rowing team? Well, okay.
There are also some unnecessary stereotypes. A group of girls from Saxony, for example, are rather portrayed as carricatures. And, something that will only bother the Germans: none of the supposedly Bavarian kids actually has a Bavarian accent, and their trainer is unmistakably from Austria. But enough of the nitpicking.

The portrayal of young Tobi's coming out itself, is very touching and believable and very well acted. Plus: there is a great love scene where Tobi (Robert Stadlober) has his first sexual encounter with a cherub-like young guy called Leo (Marlon Kittel). The whole film is worth watching for that scene alone!

I found it on YouTube (Achtung: major spoiler!!!!):  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI80_gAfj8g&search=Sommersturm

Watch it and fall in love with Leo!  ;) 

________

Edit: Sorry, the video has obviously been removed from YouTube!  :-\
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 07:17:44 pm by Pipedream »

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #143 on: July 12, 2006, 05:32:02 am »
Watch it and fall in love with Leo!  ;) 
Weisst Du was, Anke? I did and I agree with everything you wrote! 100% And most of all the stuff about Leo (Marlon Kittel)!!! Awsome! Cute! Adorable! Mature! Brilliant! The scene is absolutely tender and the actors perfect!

-> by the way - I liked the girl from Saxony and her heavy Sächsisch! Love it! My mother is from Leipzig... so you verstehst, gell!  ;D

~ j U d E

Offline opinionista

« Reply #144 on: July 12, 2006, 06:38:30 am »
Thank you Azphil, but is this solely Region 1? I'm from Europe and would prefer a Region 2.

~ j U d E

Hi Jude!
Burnt Money can be found for Region 2. It's very popular in Spain. I think it's a Spain-Argentina Production (not sure though). In any case, it's original title is "Plata Quemada", in case you need to know to find the DVD.

http://www.fnac.es/dsp/?servlet=extended.HomeExtendedServlet&Code1=2079036466&Code2=116&prodID=332045
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 06:48:20 am by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #145 on: July 12, 2006, 06:59:01 am »
Hi Jude!
Burnt Money can be found for Region 2. It's very popular in Spain. I think it's a Spain-Argentina Production (not sure though). In any case, it's original title is "Plata Quemada", in case you need to know to find the DVD.

http://www.fnac.es/dsp/?servlet=extended.HomeExtendedServlet&Code1=2079036466&Code2=116&prodID=332045

Thank you Opinionista! I did check under "Plata Quemada" before, but I never tried the Spanish Fnac. On amazon.co.uk they have Region 1 only. I now checked the German amazon and they have it there too! I have already an account on amazon.co.uk - not sure if I want to open more accounts!..  :laugh:  - or I'll never stop buying! What I could do is check if they have it in one of the German stores, on my next trip to Aachen/Germany.. (1 1/4 hour drive from Brussels).

Thank you for your help!

~ j U d E

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #146 on: July 12, 2006, 10:22:04 am »
Upon the recommendation of several of you, I added "Trick" to my collection and watched it for the first time last night.  I'm glad I did.

This is a sweet, romantic comedy telling the story of a one-night stand turning into something more.  I found myself smiling through much of it.  The production values are high. The performances vary from quite good (Christian Campbell, Tori Spelling) to adequate (J.P. Pitoc, but he's such a hunk that I didn't care), with a hilarious cameo from  Clinton Leupp as Miss Coco Peru, a drag queen character who has appeared in several other movies, including "To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar" (Coco has her own page at IMDB).

The end credits are shown with the original song "Trick of Fate" playing over them, and it's a great Whitney-Houstonesque number.  I was able to import it into my iTunes collection.

I wrote my mini-review  for "Trick" (above, from this thread) a few weeks ago.  To draw your attention to it, I boldfaced the part about Miss Coco Peru. 

And guess what?

Miss Coco Peru is one of the entertainers on my upcoming cruise!!! There will be a show on board almost every night, and she's one of them. 

What a hoot!  :laugh:

If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #147 on: July 12, 2006, 03:48:44 pm »
Weisst Du was, Anke? I did and I agree with everything you wrote! 100% And most of all the stuff about Leo (Marlon Kittel)!!! Awsome! Cute! Adorable! Mature! Brilliant! The scene is absolutely tender and the actors perfect!

-> by the way - I liked the girl from Saxony and her heavy Sächsisch! Love it! My mother is from Leipzig... so you verstehst, gell!  ;D

~ j U d E

Leipzig! Eiverbibsch!  ;D

About Marlon Kittel: you're right. He is adorable and so talented!
I just read that he plays the piano and speaks several languages. According to his agency he also does artistic gymnasitics, surfing, sailing, skiing, Karate, Tennis, Eishockey and standard dance! :o
Anyways, he is a very believable lover in "Summerstorm." After playing "Leo" he must be every young gay guy's wet dream personified...   :laugh:

« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 03:58:53 pm by Pipedream »

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #148 on: July 13, 2006, 08:09:11 am »
Danke Anke!

Since seeing him in 'Sommersturm' I have tried to get hold of other movies with him in it, but it's not an easy task. Anyway, I'll keep on searching..

Highly recomendable movie - 'Sommer Sturm'!!

~ j U d E

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
« Reply #149 on: July 13, 2006, 11:14:48 pm »
Sorry if this is unnessecary reminding but have Boys Don't Cry and Heavenly Creatures been mentioned yet?
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger