Author Topic: Other gay-themed movies  (Read 141640 times)

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
Re: Other gay-themed movies
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2006, 05:34:07 pm »
Saw the movie "Bent" last night, for the first time.

Very powerful stuff, quite depressing story,
Saw it again with my man and friends the other night. Better the second time. I remembered it as piercingly sad, and this time I saw the uplifting parts better, especially the tiny signal Horst gives to Max just before he dies.
but I'm glad there's a movie out there to remind people that Nazi's terrorized gay people too.
Apparently the first inkling the west got of that was in the first film of The Producers (1968).

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2006, 07:44:59 pm »
Watched "Prick Up Your Ears" the biopic of Joe Orton, gay British playwright of the comedies "Entertaining Mr. Sloane" and "Loot," who was murdered by his "lover" (not the right word for their relationship) out of jealousy for Orton's success.

Gary Oldman portrays Orton, Alfred Molina his "longtime companion" and Vanessa Redgrave his agent.  All three give strong performances.

A very good, strong, film.  (Note: The title is the kind of double-entendre Orton was famous for.)
If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2006, 10:58:53 pm »
Don't forget the "Broken Hearts Club" with heart throb Dean Cain.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0222850/

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2006, 02:09:50 pm »
Saw the movie "Bent" last night, for the first time.

Very powerful stuff, quite depressing story,
Saw it again with my man and friends the other night. Better the second time. I remembered it as piercingly sad, and this time I saw the uplifting parts better, especially the tiny signal Horst gives to Max just before he dies.

and the "sex" scene, where they're stand apart, is one of the sexiest thing to me. but yes, it's a quite beautiful film. I wish I'd seen the stage version, but I have a feeling the actual setting in the film helped it feel less austere. Actually seeing the sky in the background must help it to not be completely bleak.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

TJ

« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2006, 12:43:59 pm »
"The Sum of Us" was a very good movie. And, being the older man that I am, I liked Jack Thompson who played the gay man's father who tried to be a matchmaker for his gay son. Visually speaking, Thompson is my kind of sexy man. That movie is also about homophobia in society, too.

When "Cruising" was shown here in Tulsa, I was in the closet and it was shown at a theater in local large strip mall shopping center. A reporter with a camera from a local TV station was interviewing people who had gone to see it the afternoon I went. While I was not interviewed, I did appear on camera just long enough to be recognized by those who might have recognized me. But, since the entrance to the lobby was in a breezeway which led to more stores on the other side, if asked by someone who knew me, I could have lied and said that I merely walked past the theater. I went to see the movie because of the local publicity. I am not into the leather scene at all.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #55 on: May 02, 2006, 12:09:29 am »
I haven't read all the posts on this thread yet, but I haven't noticed anyone mention the movie: Priest.

I have the DVD and I have seen it tons of times already.  Amazing film, was pretty controversial when it came out years ago too (what with the gay Catholic priest context and all  ;D) -  I LOVE this film!  Anyone seen it?

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #56 on: May 02, 2006, 02:52:29 am »
What does any one think of "Steam". Not a significant film, but I still thought it was lovely and beautiful. I never thought of Budapest as being romantic, but this film makes a good case for it.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2006, 07:51:59 am »
I recently watched the only lesbian film in my collection, "The Children's Hour" with Audrey Hepburn and Shirley MacLaine, from (openly-gay) Lillian Hellman's play.

Openly gay? She was partner of (married to?) Dashiel Hammett. I never heard a hint she wasn't devoted to him, and he to her. And he was strait enough, wasn't he?

I think you'll find The Children's Hour has been delesbianised (new word for you) compared to the play, but the first film made from it, These Threes (1936) so delesibianised it as to change one character's sex. Some critics at IMDb think it's the better film, though.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2006, 04:39:56 am by Shuggy »

moremojo

« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2006, 10:45:08 am »
While on the subject of lesbian themes in film, I thought I'd mention G.W. Pabst's late silent classic Pandora's Box (Die Buchse der Pandora), filmed in Germany in 1928. Not a lesbian film per se, this classic adaptation of Wedekind's Lulu plays (the same source for Alban Berg's landmark opera) features one of the earliest portrayals of a lesbian character in cinema, that of the Countess played by Alice Roberts. The Countess is but one of the many who fall under the spell of femme fatale Lulu, played by the legendary Louise Brooks in her single most famous role.

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2006, 10:52:03 am »
I loved Priest.  I liked that the younger priest's sexuality wasn't the sole focus, but one of the conflicts within the Church.  The very last scene always gets me welled up.

Wasn't Steam set in Turkey?  I only saw it once and can't remember it very well.  Prick Up Your Ears is excellent, and very entertaining.  That was Stephen Frear's second gay-themed movie after My Beautiful Laundrette, another classic.

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....