Author Topic: Other gay-themed movies  (Read 141623 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Other gay-themed movies
« Reply #90 on: May 23, 2006, 08:33:02 pm »
Here and there.
lol
 ;)

But seriously, mostly in my normal haunts of "Open Forum" and CT.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 07:41:28 pm by atz75 »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #91 on: May 27, 2006, 07:53:53 pm »
Heya again,

OK so here's another lesbian movie... All Over Me.  It's another one that qualifies as a teen movie geared towards young gay people.  It's quite a dark movie though.

I could have missed it here on this thread... but has anyone mentioned Trick yet?  I remember being really pleasantly surprised by that movie.  Also, has anyone seen the Lost Language of Cranes (based on the David Leavitt book)?  I'd be interested in hearing reactions to that one (or the book for that matter).
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 08:09:04 pm by atz75 »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #92 on: May 28, 2006, 11:26:16 am »
Yes, Trick was mentioned somewhere in here, and I add your voice to the others who have recommended it to me.  I really must see it.

I read the Lost Language of Cranes when it first came out, and the only thing I remember was that I enjoyed it.  Didn't know there was a movie of it.  Thanks!
If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #93 on: May 29, 2006, 01:09:32 pm »
Trick abd Billy's Hollwood Screen Kisses are two really fun movies, that most of my friends refuse to admit they like. They not great intellectual movies to be sure, and they don't have social/political commentary. They are what When Harry Met Sally is meant to be. Just fun, light movies. I enjoyed them a lot, but I hesitate to recommend them, because it's easy for people to put them down for being light and not serious.

I agree with Shuggy. I love Tori Spelling in Trick. Her one monologues in the diner really showed her comedic chops.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #94 on: May 30, 2006, 02:29:16 pm »
Can I add the Xmen series to this list?  ;D
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

Offline Impish

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #95 on: May 30, 2006, 07:49:44 pm »
I think so...  I just read the article in The Advocate about the gay themes underlying the X-Men films.  I've never seen any of them, and was thinking I should rent the first two to prepare for seeing the new one now in theatres.

Are the first two as obvious as the new one is supposed to be?
If you won't pray in my school, I won't think in your church.

Offline JCinNYC2006

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • What happens in Calgary....the whole world knows!
« Reply #96 on: May 30, 2006, 07:56:12 pm »
I would say that probably the second one highlights some of the outsider similarities, especially with gay people, a bit more, one scene in particular.  The first one does as well, but the newness of concept of mutants, in the movie's world, is different.  The opening scene sets up nicely the sense of prejudice in the first one, while the second one takes it further and has more of a parallel to the stigmatization of LGBTs.

Juan
What is essential, is invisible to the eye....

Offline starboardlight

• nipith.com
« Reply #97 on: May 31, 2006, 02:27:51 am »
yeah, in the second one, there was a scene confronting parents of one mutant boy. it played out like a coming out conversation.

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #98 on: May 31, 2006, 03:05:04 am »
yeah, in the second one, there was a scene confronting parents of one mutant boy. it played out like a coming out conversation.

Yeah quite right starby, the line where the mother asks: "have you ever tried not  being a mutant" is pretty analogous to coming out dialogue.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 08:14:29 am by Aussie Chris »
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #99 on: June 01, 2006, 07:21:34 am »
While on the subject of lesbian themes in film, I thought I'd mention G.W. Pabst's late silent classic Pandora's Box (Die Buchse der Pandora), filmed in Germany in 1928. Not a lesbian film per se, this classic adaptation of Wedekind's Lulu plays (the same source for Alban Berg's landmark opera) features one of the earliest portrayals of a lesbian character in cinema, that of the Countess played by Alice Roberts. The Countess is but one of the many who fall under the spell of femme fatale Lulu, played by the legendary Louise Brooks in her single most famous role.

OMG!  Somebody else here has actually seen this  movie.   I tried to describe it once for someone, who told  me it sounded like "Looking for Mr. Goodbar" set in 1920's Germany...  Couldn't get him to actually watch it though. 
« Last Edit: June 01, 2006, 07:27:42 am by bjblakeslee »
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40