Author Topic: This is really weird!  (Read 5814 times)

Offline bbm_stitchbuffyfan

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Ennis and Jack are Forever
This is really weird!
« on: April 22, 2006, 03:25:49 am »
Sorry in advance if someone else pointed this out already but if so, I completely missed it.

I just finished watching the DVD -- and, by the way, it really, really irks me how the lighting in such scenes as the first tent scene is completely altered. I am really pissed about that and what sucks is that there's nothing I can do about it. I liked the way it looked in the theatre, goddamnit!

Anyway, sorry 'bout that but that has been pissing me off for the past 2 hrs. Now, think back to the scene where Ennis and Alma get into a fight in Monroe's kitchen at Thanksgiving. After Ennis storms out, he drives to a local bar -- in another gloriously 'modified-for-your-screen,' lightened scene -- and gets in a fight.

I noticed something that just shocked the hell out of me. Watch as Ennis stops the car but you have to look before he opens his door: there, on the windshield, front and center and at the bottom, appears to be the word "FAG" as though someone (Alma, perhaps?) wiped it on the windshield with their hands. I am not saying this was intentional on the filmmakers' behalves; the only reason it would appear as such is if they were trying to make us feel even worse, if that's possible, for Ennis at that scene.

I was wondering if I'm seeing things -- which is likely -- or if you guys notice it as well.
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now
We missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
Re: This is really weird!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 03:47:23 am »
Well, I don't want to tell you you're seeing things because I've been accused of hearing things  ::) so I'll just say I didn't see it. I see the path of the wiper blades but don't fag-though I do see what you mean.

Was that diplomatic enough? :D

O0

Heathen

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2006, 10:26:03 am »
(I can't quite determine how to word this.)

I think what it is, is that the path of the wiper-blades almost looks like the word. I don't really know how else to explain what I saw. I am gonna check for it again later.
If you'd just realize what I just realized then we'd be perfect for each other and we'd never have to wonder if we missed out on each other now

R.I.P. Heath Ledger

Offline PatSinnott

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Tell you what.......the truth is........
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 05:52:53 pm »
I just looked at the scene, yes I have it on my computer at work, and I didn't see anyting.  I can't turn up the brightness or zoom in, as it's an .avi file so no changing the playback.  I didn't see anything there though....
..yet he is suffused with a sense of pleasure because Jack Twist was in his dream.

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 11:51:07 am »
Sorry in advance if someone else pointed this out already but if so, I completely missed it.

I just finished watching the DVD -- and, by the way, it really, really irks me how the lighting in such scenes as the first tent scene is completely altered. I am really pissed about that and what sucks is that there's nothing I can do about it. I liked the way it looked in the theatre, goddamnit!

I was wondering if I'm seeing things -- which is likely -- or if you guys notice it as well.

I had that trouble too with the tent scene on DVD, it was so dark I could hardly see a thing, but I could increase the brightness on mine and see the scene clearly.    About the word FAG on Ennis's truck, I didn't notice that in any of the 6 times I saw that movie, but will look again the next time I see the movie.

Rayn

TJ

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2006, 01:26:15 pm »
I have a stereo TV which is a few years old and a fairly new DVD-RW Recorder & VCR unit. The tent scenes on my TV were just fine as long as I turned off all the lights which could be reflected on the TV screen.

But, my friend, Ken, has an almost new VCR/DVD Player and an old color mono TV that someone discarded. You cannot see a thing but black screen in the tent scenes on his TV. I took my copy of the DVD to his place twice. He asked me to bring it the 2nd time because he wanted to see a repeat of the Brokeback Mountain part of the story. And, it helped him even more to have the subtitles on that time.

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2006, 09:58:30 pm »
On mine, it was just a matter of turning the brightness up on the TV, I think, or maybe there is a way to do it on the DVD...  Whichever one, the brightness can be turned up for the tent scene.  Check out both, good luck.

Rayn

Offline two_bloody_shirts

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • First Kisses
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2006, 12:17:38 am »
I can see what you are talking about - however, I would not have seen it if you did not point it out to me.  It's a trick of the eye.  We can imagine we are seeing just about anything sometimes.  Below are some pictures to demonstrate:

Assumed writing on the windshield of Ennis's pickup
"JACK" written out on the still frame

These fall under the same category as the people who think they hear Ennis saying "I love you" into Jack's shirt, that think Lureen had something to do with Jack's death, that think Ennis wasn't really gay, and that think aliens actually really do make crop circles.  In short, people may want to see thinks, hear things, believe in things - but they are not true.  I would love to ask Heath about some of these things.  I would love to ask him if he actually said, "I love you" into those shirts.  He'd be surprised that so many people are believing it.  Again, with this "writing on the window" he'd also be surprised.   :laugh:

Love.  You have a problem with it?

~Grace~

TJ

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2006, 05:40:15 pm »
This seeing things reminds me of the tall tale of the guy who claimed he took a picture of Jesus by pointing his cheap camera at some clouds more than half a century ago.

If one had never seen pictures (drawings paintings) of a man with a beard and the artist representation was supposed to have been of Jesus, that person would not have seen anything but clouds in a black and white picture.

I think Ennis's truck's windshield looked that way because of the way the prop department guys made it look like it had ice or frost on it. And, they had no plans for anyone to read a hateful word on the windshield.

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2006, 06:03:38 pm »
Grace, thank you for posting those links. It's probably clearer now to those who had no idea what I was talking about. It was just really bizarre when I thought I saw that. (I had never made the "Jack" conclusion from his house; that's really neat.)

I do not think the set department wanted a hate word to be written there either (just wanted to clarify in case anyone wondered). I can see that it isn't even completely there but the frost, in my eyes, bares a vague resemblance.

Oh, and I like my DVD again. I can simply adjust the television to my liking and take away some of that unnecessary brightness.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 06:10:37 pm by bbm_stitchbuffyfan »

R.I.P. Heath Ledger