Author Topic: What does Jack Say.. I Cant Understand It For Some Reason..  (Read 6192 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: What does Jack Say.. I Cant Understand It For Some Reason..
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 10:30:16 am »
Sometimes I wish my fellow Brokies would watch the movie more often. I was working on the BBQ menu, for instance, and I threw out the idea of serving turkey legs because of their starring role in the movie. But I got the question back, "Where do turkey legs appear in the movie?" Um, they appear in the two Thanksgiving scenes. Another thing I wanted to add was round steak with peanut sauce. Can anyone guess why this is appropo??

The peanut sauce comes from the aforesaid broken jars of peanuts in the grocery store, but I believe it's Ennis, as he's already and turned and headed for the door, who asks/tells Alma to bring home some round steak (from the grocery store).

Pan-broiled round steak, with onions and gravy, was one of my late mother's specialties.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 10:46:44 am »
That sounds wonderful Jeff!!

Of course, we will be serving the peanut sauce on the side. I will prbly make two versions, spicy and mild (EDelMar doesn't like spicy food, and I do). I am creating signs for each food item, so people will be forewarned!!

I'm glad people here are on top of their Brokeback food trivia!!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline RossInIllinois

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 05:30:21 pm »
The peanut sauce comes from the aforesaid broken jars of peanuts in the grocery store, but I believe it's Ennis, as he's already and turned and headed for the door, who asks/tells Alma to bring home some round steak (from the grocery store).

Pan-broiled round steak, with onions and gravy, was one of my late mother's specialties.  :-\

Sounds Yummy. Why not carry on the tradition..  :)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 09:43:02 pm »
You bring up an interesting point. Jack says, "Let's git" and then later he urges Ennis to move quickly after killing the elk unless the Forest Service finds them. Annie Proulx described Jack as crazy to be anywhere but his home at Lightning Flat. And Jack was described as "dying on the road." Jack was full of wanderlust, and Ennis was the opposite, all the travelling he done was around the coffeepot looking for the handle.

I think this whole issue of Jack moving/traveling from state to state /blowing-around-like-the-wind vs. Ennis's stasis/ disinterest in traveling/ inability to travel due to the bad truck/ solid-earth metaphor is really interesting.  And, yes, part of Jack's tragedy is that he's cut down in his most natural element (in a way being on the road and traveling was his normal state of being) in either the murder or accident.  I wonder what we're supposed to make of the idea that both Jack and Ennis's parents die on the road.  It's possible that both die in accidental ways on the road too (although of course Jack's death is subject to interpretation).
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 10:34:39 pm »
Sounds Yummy. Why not carry on the tradition..  :)

What, the pan-broiled round steak with onions and gravy? 'Cause I'm nowhere near as good a cook as my mother was.  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline RossInIllinois

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2007, 12:24:46 am »
What, the pan-broiled round steak with onions and gravy? 'Cause I'm nowhere near as good a cook as my mother was.  :-\

Yes, You are a part of your Mother, let her help you make it from above, Let her guide you im not kidding try it. Let the shield down let her in and enjoy your steak!  ;)  Will You Try It?

injest

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2007, 12:32:46 am »

well the steak and the onions are easy enough but gravy can be tricky

trial and error is all you can do.

and you would sure feel good if you did get it down!