Author Topic: Do You Have Any Phobias?  (Read 16687 times)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Re: Do You Have Any Phobias?
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2007, 02:47:05 am »
I ticked fear of flying but not fear of heights, but it's not quite true. Well, I do fly of course but I don't like it. I'm ok when the plane is in the air, but I don't like the taking off and the landing. Also I hate hate it when during the flight the plane starts to shake..

j. U. d. E.

I don't like flying either, i'm afraid of heights, and i don't like things that go very fast. But like you Jude, it doesn't stop me from doing things. I fly if I have to but get very nervous about it. Strange thing is that it's getting worse as i grow older. I didn't mind flying years ago. Thinking about how long i'm going to be on a plane when we go to Canada is giving me the jitters already.

My fears haven't stopped me from learning new things like skiing or horseback riding. I cantered for the first time last week and it was fun! I felt exhilarated, just like when i'm skiing down the mountain. I'm careful an get worried too much, but i can still enjoy it immensely.

Maybe tackling your fears headson is the way to do it? 

I'll never stop being scared of spiders though... :-\
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Scott6373

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007, 08:02:42 am »
I'm afraid of heights (acrophobia) if I am not in an enclosed space.  We went to Grand Canyon as a side trip on one of Bob's research summers and I freaked out big time.  I should have guessed, when I was a kid my poor father had to drive the mountain roads on the wrong side of the road so I wouldn't freak out on him...If he had to move back into his lane due to oncoming traffic I would lay on the seat and pray VERY LOUDLY.   I guess you could probably extrapolate it further and say I have a fear of falling

:-\

I have no issue with flying and actually enjoy it, but one time, Rick and I took a road trip vacation to Cape Bretton and the Cabot Trail...I was driving, and no one told me to take the trail west to east to stay on the inside lane, so we went east to west on winding cliffside road that dropped off miles down to the sea...I didn't go over 20 mph all the way...I abolutely freaked

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2007, 08:14:20 am »
SPIDERS!       YECK!

PS:   That black and white picture of Ronald McDonald is actually TV weather man Willard Scott.   That was his first job!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2007, 02:27:14 pm »
This is a picture of Ronald McDonald through the years. The black and white picture at the bottom is Ronald McDonald from back in 1963.

Now I think I understand where my fear of clowns came from.  >:(

I also have a fear of being alone, although I wouldn't consider it chronic or serious. I just don't like it. I'm not too crazy about storms either; especially thunderstorms.  :P

I've always thought clowns are scary. I have a younger sister. She is 20 years my junior. When she turned one year old, my dad hired a clown for her birthday. She did nothing but scream and cry everytime the clown he got close to her. She wasn't the only baby afraid of the clown. My dad had to tell him to change clothes and do his act looking like a normal person. He was saying it wasn't the first time kids got scared at him.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007, 09:23:28 pm »
I HATE freakin spiders! :P
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2007, 12:38:17 am »
I choose four.  Heights, crowds, animals (spiders), and shot/injections.

Heights making me extremely dizzy and sick to my stomach, crowds do the same and I'm definitely scared of being seperated from my party in a crowd.  I'm terrified of spiders and have designated spider killers for each portion of my day:  my husband at home, a co-worker at work and my friends just know I can't handle it.  And I'm not as afraid of shots/injections as I am of needles in general.  Can't stand them - I get very anxious.
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2007, 12:50:07 am »
I choose four.  Heights, crowds, animals (spiders), and shot/injections.

6 people chose "heights', and I've noticed a couple of people mention spiders, so you're in good company Amber.

The fear of needles I can certainly understand. I had a terrible fear of needles as a child, but I overcame it when I started sticking my finger every day to check my blood sugar. I am hypoglycemic (as opposed to hyperglycemic, or diabetic). My blood sugar has a tendency to drop for little or no reason.

The crowd part I can understand too. If something terrible happened and I was in a crowd, I would have little control over my decisions. There would be a stampede and I would basically be at the mercy of those around me.

Thanks for taking the poll Amber!  :D
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2007, 04:44:54 am »

I picked other, simply because I am not only afraid of hights,,,which im not unless its on a edge, like Scott mentioned...Im not afraid of the fall, its the sudden stop im afraid of..
   But seriously I have a Bridge Phobia, that is most pronounced...How easily do you think I get around in a City that has many many of them...I am getting better, but i still have it...
   When we first moved to Portland, I had nightmares for years about bridges....janice

Beautiful mind

moremojo

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2007, 05:33:13 pm »
I ticked off four: flying, wide open spaces, heights, and public speaking. And that's about the order they come for me,with the first being the worst and the last being the least dreaded. I have flown before, but not in over twenty years, and I simply can't imagine ever doing it again--it would feel like dying.

Wide open spaces has been a phobia of mine since December 1985; I wrote at some length on this in Andrew's 'BaroqueBach and beyond' thread. Suffice it to say that I know I'm gonna have some problems on that drive up to Colorado (I've seen online photos of Baca County :o).

Heights has been right up there with flying for me. I'm astonished by folks who are afraid of heights but are A-okay with flying. I mean, you can't get any higher than on a jet flight, barring leaving the earth's atmosphere. And there's nothing but air between that airplane floor and the thousands of feet to the earth's surface.

I'm also not fond of going at great speeds, but I seldom ever go much faster than 65 to 70 m.p.h. on a highway, so that rarely gets into phobia territory for me (but does play into my dislike of air travel).

I do fear public speaking, but know I can pull it off with adequate preparation. I certainly would avoid doing it if I could (and one of my most painful adolescent memories involves a horribly flubbed class speech), but know I could survive it.

I'm not fond of the idea of encountering germs or bacteria, and have been accused of being obsessive-compulsive in the past in terms of washing my hands, but I don't think my concerns along these lines veer into the phobia end of the spectrum.

mvansand76

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2007, 10:34:12 am »
I fear the government and politicians because I don't trust them.