Author Topic: Your age and your favourite cowboy  (Read 30982 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Your age and your favourite cowboy
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2006, 11:52:59 pm »
Hi kudzudaddy, welcome to bettermost.  Thanks for your nice words.  :)

I like to think of Ennis the way you described too... That his stoic, silent, tough-guy cowboy external image is reallly a mask for his soft side.  Or that the stoic, stiff silence of his demeanor are both the signs of a tough cowboy AND of someone sort of paralyzed by anxieties/ sadness/ fear, etc.  And, yes I'm glad he found a Jack-type who wanted to nurture him.

This thread is fun... it has drifted away from the topic of age though.  I wonder if there are generational differences in how people see these characters and their situations.  That seems like a complex question.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline kudzudaddy

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2006, 12:59:08 am »
Complex, indeed, Amanda...

Trying to imagine how I would have reacted 30-40 years ago (had BBM appeared then).  I think my reaction would have been the same but for different reasons.  I think I would have perceived Jack as "easy"  "available" and maybe a little "needy."  I'd have been attracted to Ennis for the opposite reason I am now, because of his stern, independent "masculine" demeanor...   I doubt I'd have been able to see beneath it.

But today... hell, anybody under 45 is a "boy" to me...  and anything under 30 is a "puppy" -- cute, yes... scratch 'em behind the ears and send 'em out to play.

Kudz

Offline Shuggy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • 1964 - 2006
    • The Ataahua Shop
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2006, 12:29:15 am »
Well with 48 votes, the only thing now clear is that more people who voted prefer Jack.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2006, 02:44:52 pm »
Well with 48 votes, the only thing now clear is that more people who voted prefer Jack.

No big surprise there. I've always felt that both this site and imdb are somewhat Jack-skewed. But what we Ennisophiles lack in numbers, we make up for in enthusiasm!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2006, 03:42:53 pm »
What I wanna know is who voted that they're "ageless"?

;D
No more beans!

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2006, 04:21:12 pm »
But what we Ennisophiles lack in numbers, we make up for in enthusiasm!

;D  ;D  ;D

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2006, 04:59:05 pm »
Well, it's hard to have an either/or answer in the case of this movie.  Just because one may prefer Ennis or Jack for some reason doesnt' mean that you don't like the other at all.  I voted for Jack, but I certainly like Ennis too.  Ennis is so conflicted and complex that my heart aches for him.  But, I just flat out like Jack (I think he's refreshing and seems to always inhabit the status of 'underdog'... and I always cheer for underdogs).

It's interesting that in this poll, Jack does seem to be coming out ahead, but in the "I love everything..." threads Ennis has a lot more posts.  What do you suppose that means?

Anyway, I don't like to foster competitiveness in the Jack vs. Ennis scheme of things.  There two sides of the same coin as far as I'm concerned.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 05:02:07 pm by atz75 »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2006, 06:03:05 pm »
You know, I find them both attractive for different reasons.  Jack is more attractive emotionally and mentally, but I llke Ennis too, his rugged good looks, hard body, full throttle character, his active sexual role.... "Must ta been all them horses you ride"... you know.  I'm more like Jack in that respect, so I guess I'd want Jack's sweet nature and personality with Ennis' body and drive in bed!  LOL

Rayn

PS: I'm 54 goin' on 35....  ;)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 06:04:47 pm by Rayn »

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2006, 06:17:32 pm »
It's interesting that in this poll, Jack does seem to be coming out ahead, but in the "I love everything..." threads Ennis has a lot more posts.  What do you suppose that means?

Interesting observation, Amanda. Maybe people feel love for Ennis requires more study and explanation. Jack has no big faults, makes no big mistakes, is optimistic and upbeat and unneurotic and supportive and nice. In many ways, Ennis is harder to love (I say, though I voted for Ennis).

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2006, 06:23:16 pm »
What I wanna know is who voted that they're "ageless"?

;D

Amen, Barb.  These boys are gonna live forever..
Chut up!