Author Topic: Exactly WHEN does Jack decide.. th 1st tent scene..is gonna be th 1s tent scene?  (Read 22813 times)

Offline houstonangel88

• Jr. Ranch Hand
Victoria, beautifully put.  agree  1000%

EnnisDelMar

Yep, agree 100% Vic :)

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
I can't fight you all...yoiu make it sound like I was saying they had no feelings for eachother, or that Ennis was a moron, or something.

Ennis is NOT "yearning" for Jack when he says "what are you doing?" He's asking a simple question...

Guess i better just get out of here...nobody is willing to admit that Jack is more than an equal partner in what happens..I simply cannot agree with you.

It woud be lovely if we all just came together without anyone having to make a first move...Jack has to make a LOT of first moves!!! And this contunes throughout his short life...surely you're not saying that Ennis is an open, relaxed, homosexual man with a fair amount of sexual experience?

What the hell ARE you saying?

Oh: I wrote a short story. I don't know what to do with it. I'm scared to show it to anyone. It has sex in it only in that it states that sex haopened. It's called "Lureen." I'm surprised nobosdy has written it yet...

"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

slayers_creek_oth

I can't fight you all...yoiu make it sound like I was saying they had no feelings for eachother, or that Ennis was a moron, or something.

Ennis is NOT "yearning" for Jack when he says "what are you doing?" He's asking a simple question...

Guess i better just get out of here...nobody is willing to admit that Jack is more than an equal partner in what happens..I simply cannot agree with you.

It woud be lovely if we all just came together without anyone having to make a first move...Jack has to make a LOT of first moves!!! And this contunes throughout his short life...surely you're not saying that Ennis is an open, relaxed, homosexual man with a fair amount of sexual experience?

Oh: I wrote a short story. I don't know what to do with it. I'm scared to show it to anyone. It has sex in it only in that it states that sex haopened. It's called "Lureen." I'm surprised nobosdy has written it yet...

Who said that we have to agree?  Thats why its an opinion....and everyone is entitled to one!  Nevertheless its not worth arguing over.....IMO at least...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 01:17:45 am by slayers_creek_oth »

vkm91941

Ennis is NOT "yearning" for Jack when he says "what are you doing?"

I never said Ennis was yearning for Jack.  I said he was yearning toward Jack. big difference in meaning.

Well..if you read what I wrote I think an intelligent woman such as yourself will see EXACTLY what I'm saying it's pretty plain.

Post it either here on the Bettermost fan fiction board. I would love to read it.

I enjoy your posts Julie, I just don't always see eye to eye with you or at least with the way you express yourself...maybe that's our real difference semantics...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
I agree with Victoria maybe 85 percent. The quibbles being:

-- I think Jack had hoped for a while that the two of them would get together and, knowing he'd have to be the initiator, was looking for the right opportunity. I'm not talking about predation or evil scheming, don't think he purposely switched jobs and got Ennis drunk just so he could pounce. But I do think that Jack was attracted to Ennis from the get-go, was pretty comfortable with his sexuality and so consciously wanted to ratchet up their friendship to a romantic relationship (if Ennis did too, it wasn't conscious). Jack didn't plan that night out in advance, but when he saw that circumstances were right he went for it. I don't think that's untoward -- I would have done the same.

-- Just before TS2 I don't think of Ennis as sitting by the fire struggling with should I or shouldn't I. By then -- in fact, by the time they're sitting together on the hill watching the sheep -- he's made up his mind that he definitely should. But he's reeeeaaaaalllly nervous. Not in a homophobic way, but just because he's shy and this is something he's never done before and he's not sure how it will go but it's very important to him because he is in love with Jack. Again, I would have been the same way.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
Yup..they just...drift together...Jack doesn't do anytbhing...and I have a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you-but I've changed my mind about my sister; I'll keep her. Please look at these two pictures CAREFULLY, LARGE...

Thanks, Julie, I'm not really in the market for any bridges just now.

When I say "drift together" I mean [bold]physically[/bold] drift together in their sleep-evidence of their need and desire to be together. When Jack grabs Ennis's hand to introduce him to Little Jack, the fire roars to life.

As for Vic's DVD, just a way of saying I agree with her.

I think there is room here for everyone's opinions... ;)

O0

« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 01:24:28 am by RouxB »

Heathen

slayers_creek_oth

-- I think Jack had hoped for a while that the two of them would get together and, knowing he'd have to be the initiator, was looking for the right opportunity. I'm not talking about predation or evil scheming, don't think he purposely switched jobs and got Ennis drunk just so he could pounce. But I do think that Jack was attracted to Ennis from the get-go, was pretty comfortable with his sexuality and so consciously wanted to ratchet up their friendship to a romantic relationship (if Ennis did too, it wasn't conscious). Jack didn't plan that night out in advance, but when he saw that circumstances were right he went for it. I don't think that's untoward -- I would have done the same.

Thats kinda what Vic said....the attraction was there and with the right place and time it happened......so yes I think that Jack was obviously attracted to Ennis but WASN'T thinkin "I'm gonna seduce him tonight."  That make sense?  JMO
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 01:26:58 am by slayers_creek_oth »

Offline littleguitar

• She was always a lonely child...

Thats kinda what Vic said....the attraction was there and with the right place and time it happened......so yes I think that Jack was obviously attracted to Ennis but wasn't thinkin "I'm gonna seduce him tonight."  That make sense?

Right, I agree, I think that's what I've been saying all along, that no one is disagreeing with this... I think it's pretty obvious that Jack is attracted right away and is more comfortable with his feelings and makes the first move... it's just that that night wasn't planned.  They were both surprised when Jack grabbed Ennis's hand
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
I am perfectly happy with--anything anyone wants to say. I don't mind being disagreed with, but I hate having people say I've said what i haven't--Jack is NOT a "sexual preditor," nor does he "plot." But I SAY: if he had NOT taklen advantage of the situation, nothing would ever have happened, and we would all be writing on the "Crash" board..well, maybe that's going too far...

I meant to tell you all-I DID send my post about the reading=room ceiiong, and a moderator post telling us all to QUIET DOWN--to the head of volunteer services at the Asian Art Museum--I removed all the other posts from- it-i think it's page 2. I told her i didn't think she'd be interested in the discussion per se (but I sent her enough so that she could tell this was a HUGE board devoted to such discussions--I said that in my note attached to the e-mail). Her history with BBM is that she borrowed the short story from me, loved it, but didn't like the movie nearly as well (happens sometines).

I'll try to work up enough gut to post my story...

Surely, you must know how HARD it is to admit that other people may be right, as well as you?

Am I goinbg to open a whole new can of worms if i say "Jews love to argue. They don't mean they hate you, they just like to ARGUE, and in his heart of hearts, ecach one believes he is right. I am a Jew.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006, 01:47:50 am by julie01 »
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters