Author Topic: Strong, gorgeous women!  (Read 546774 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Strong, gorgeous women!
« Reply #230 on: May 21, 2007, 11:04:46 pm »
Greta Garbo

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #231 on: May 22, 2007, 01:56:06 pm »

Simone Signoret
French Actress

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #232 on: May 22, 2007, 08:14:54 pm »

Lillian Gish- silent film star

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #233 on: May 22, 2007, 08:19:16 pm »
Berthe Morisot- one of the founding members of the French Impressionist art movement and one of the most active artists within that movement.

This is a portrait of her by Edouard Manet

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #234 on: May 23, 2007, 02:12:30 pm »
What a wonderful thread this is. I spent quite some time yeasterday going through it from start to finish, and it was a truly uplifting and inspiring experience! Especially getting to meet those women scientists, artists, politicians and authors that I didn't know much about beforehand.

Thought I'd contribute one or two entries to the thread. Here's the first:

Astrid Lindgren, 1907-2002, Swedish author, creator of beloved children's literature characters such as Pippi Longstockings, Emil, Ronia the Robber's Daughter, Mio, the Brothers Lionheart, Karlsson-on-the-Roof and many others. A strong and generous woman with a big heart and considerable personal integrity, beloved throughout Scandinavia both as herself and for her books. In my not so humble opinion robbed of the Nobel's Prize for Literature only because the stuffy old guys of the Swedish Academy failed to recognize Children's literature as true Literature.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #235 on: May 23, 2007, 02:44:33 pm »
May Sarton (May 3, 1912-July 16, 1995) was an American poet, novelist, and memoirist born in Wondelgem, Belgium. Many of her novels and poems are pellucid reflections of the lesbian experience.

When she published her more openly lesbian novel Mrs. Stevens Hears the Mermaids Singing in 1965, Sarton feared, rightly, that writing so strongly about lesbianism would lead to a diminution of the previously established value of her work. "The fear of homosexuality is so great that it took courage to write Mrs. Stevens Hears the Mermaids Singing," she wrote in Journal of Solitude 1973, "to write a novel about a woman homosexual who is not a sex maniac, a drunkard, a drug-taker, or in any way repulsive, to portray a homosexual who is neither pitiable nor disgusting, without sentimentality . . . ."

She died of breast cancer on July 16, 1995 (Wikipedia).

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #236 on: May 23, 2007, 02:59:56 pm »

Mileva Maric was Albert Einstein's first wife.  Einstein married Mileva Maric on January 6, 1903.  The two witnesses at the quiet wedding were the original members of the Olympia Academy, Maurice Solovine and Conrad Habicht.  There were no honeymoon and after the celebratory meal in a local restaurant the couple returned to their new home on 49 Kramgasse, close to Berne's famous clocktower.

They had two sons. Their daughter Lieserl was born before their marriage and died in childhood.  At the time of Mileva's death in 1948 her oldest son Hans Albert was a professor in hydraulic engineering  at the University of California at Berkley.  A Serbian mathematician, Mileva Maric was Einstein's companion, colleague and confidante whose influence in his most creative years was enormous.

After their marriage Mileva subordinates her professional goals to Einstein's.  She was born in Titel-Vojvodina, a northern part of Yugoslavia of Serbian parents.  Einstein and Mileva met as students at Swiss Federal Polytechnic Institute in Zuri
« Last Edit: May 23, 2007, 03:06:12 pm by ifyoucantfixit »

Beautiful mind

Offline Pipedream

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #237 on: May 23, 2007, 06:03:12 pm »
Mika! Thank you for adding Astrid Lindgren! :D

I agree with everything you said about her. God, how I love her stories!

Here's the wonderful Inger Nilsson as Pippi:   :)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #238 on: May 23, 2007, 10:54:38 pm »

Self-Portrait, c. 1933

Imogen Cunningham
-an amazing modernist photographer who was known for her subtly erotic nudes (most often of women, but sometimes men too) and her up-close views of flowers, which also often appear erotic in an abstract way.  I can't post her nudes because the mostly contain too much nudity for BetterMost.  But, here are some of her gorgeous florals.

Flax, c. 1920

Exploding Bud, c. 1920

Magnolia Blossom, 1925 (one of her most iconic florals)

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #239 on: May 24, 2007, 08:36:03 am »
Louise Brooks... the first film I saw her in on the big screen was 'Prix de beauté (Miss Europe)' from 1930 and she and the male lead, Georges Charlia, were utterly captivating. Wonderful film, and she's so charismatic...

Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!