Author Topic: Strong, gorgeous women!  (Read 546763 times)

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
Re: Strong, gorgeous women!
« Reply #300 on: August 21, 2008, 04:52:27 pm »
Well, I know I promised I wouldn't mention them again, but.... I have to.

Remember me squeeing in this very thread over the Norwegian womens' Handball Team, and its captain Gro Hammerseng? Well, they just made the Olympic final in a semi-finals match that was nail-bitingly thrilling. South Korea evened the score 4 seconds before full time. And in those 4 seconds, Gro got hold of the ball, rushed across the court like lightning, and put the ball in the net one nano-second before the whistle blew. So the team, which also included Katja, won by 1 goal. Whew, that was sooo exciting!

The Olympic final is on Saturday - against Russia. Norway will be grinding to a standstill then, I'm sure. We're cheering them on all the way.  :) Gro and the others really are a group of very positive role models!

As are, I'm sure, all the female olympic contestants. Anyone else that should get a special mention?

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #301 on: August 21, 2008, 05:09:44 pm »
As are, I'm sure, all the female olympic contestants. Anyone else that should get a special mention?

I gotsta mention Kerri Walsh & Misty May-Treanor, the US beach volleyball duo. 
They were gold medalists in beach volleyball at both the 2004 and this Summer Olympics.

They have great working chemistry, they kickass at what they do and they are gorgeous.   8)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #302 on: August 21, 2008, 05:11:02 pm »
Wow, go Gro!  That's great, Mika.  I wish our women's water polo team had been so lucky.  They got nosed out by the Dutch in the last seconds of the gold medal match today.  :P

Here's the U.S. Women's Beach Volleyball team, Kerry Walsh and Misty May-Treanor.  They just won their second consecutive gold, continuing an undefeated streak of 108 games.  8)

Edit: Milli, you just nosed me out!  Great minds....;D
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #303 on: August 21, 2008, 05:12:44 pm »

Edit: Milli, you just nosed me out!  Great minds....;D

Omg Meryl, damn right!  ;D
They are most definitely worth a double mention! =)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #304 on: August 21, 2008, 06:22:56 pm »
Also staring in True Women is Annabeth Gish, who has a grandmother named Lillian who is not the silent film star, and to whom she is not related to as far as she knows.

Guess what...I'm related to Annabeth! Her mother is married to my cousin, but it's a second marriage so she is not my neice.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #305 on: August 23, 2008, 05:46:44 am »
Wooo-hoooo!

They won! They won! They just got the gold medals around their necks, and people were drying tears of joy all around Norway.

Here is team captain Gro Hammerseng right after the victory:

And now I'll shut up about them.  :-X  ;) But Norway's a small country and we don't get many Olympic medals. And certinly not many won by women. It must be strange to be Chinese or American, getting so much gold it's  hard to keep track of everyone that won!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #306 on: August 23, 2008, 10:40:39 am »
GO NORWAY!!!  8)  8)  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #307 on: August 23, 2008, 10:45:44 am »
Wooo-hoooo!

They won! They won! They just got the gold medals around their necks, and people were drying tears of joy all around Norway.

And now I'll shut up about them.  :-X  ;) But Norway's a small country and we don't get many Olympic medals. And certinly not many won by women. It must be strange to be Chinese or American, getting so much gold it's  hard to keep track of everyone that won!

Handball right? well done!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #308 on: August 24, 2008, 03:52:20 pm »
Thank you, Meryl and Kelda. I honestly think Norwegian TV has set a new record in running highlight repeats from any event, ever - I've seen the "golden girls" as they've now been lovingly dubbed, dancing around on the court countless times, just from watching the news and the Olympics summary.  ::) ;D

But moving on from strong gorgeous athletes to other gorgeous women, - I have no idea whether Ellen and Portia's wedding images have been posted anywhere else on BM, but they sure do deserve to be posted in this thread, so here is the link to Ellen's show's homepage with the wedding pics. Lovely images, I'm very happy for them.  :)

http://ellen.warnerbros.com/photos/2008/08/ellen_and_portias_wedding_day_4.php

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #309 on: August 27, 2008, 07:45:51 pm »
Wooo-hoooo!

Speaking of Gro ( & Katja)...
They have quite a following on AfterEllen.com.
They are a cute couple, for sure...  8)