Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 9347107 times)

Offline Mandy21

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #9880 on: June 16, 2011, 11:41:27 pm »
Deb, I can't tell you how hilarious that last sentence was to me:)

The Midwest is basically the same all over, but certain cities and towns are prettier cause the people there make them prettier.  The little 1-mile-long, 4-mile-wide town in Kansas where my mom grew up, where I go to visit every summer, is just a dollplace, a walk back into the 40's where she was walking that courthouse square.  It's absolutely charming, and the people there don't even realize it.  It's so funny.

Thanks for the shout-out to both you and Chuck!
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #9881 on: June 17, 2011, 07:54:08 am »
I'm glad the pic of Arkansas spurred some memories.  I enjoy hearing how people have been to the places I post.  I hope that happens more as the year goes on.

[...]
Today's Travel Destination:

Wachau, Austria

abbeys and castles crown the rolling hills of Wachau, a Danube River valley where sunny skies smile down on vineyards producing a significant share of Austria's wine.

Well, there you go. :)
I've been to Wachau. As a child with my parents. I've seen Melk and Krems. I also think I was in Melk again in later years, with Jens on the motorbike. Yes, I'm pretty sure we visited the Monastery Melk.
I think there are few regions in Austria I have not been to. :laugh: Austria and Mallorca were standard holiday destinations with my parents. Later Jens and I criss-crossed through the Alps with the bike several times. Especially the Austrian part because we liked it best. And now we go to Austria with our own kids every other year or so.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #9882 on: June 17, 2011, 08:01:07 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

It's Friday!

It's Pay Day!

Ooooooh, and early this AM, we had major thunderstorms!  They woke me out of a sound sleep, it was pretty loud!  I did manage to turn over and go back to sleep, but man.......I love a good thunderstorm.

*waves to Chrissi*

Thanks for posting about your trips to Austria!  I'd like to get there one day!

Hey Truman, what do you think of Lady Gaga?  ;D

Today's travel destinaiton.

Bali, Indonesia.

Most travelers to Bali never leave the beaches, but it is in the heart of the countryside that you'll find the island's magic.  Explore its jigsaw of towns and stepped rice terraces still cultivated by water buffalo, with occasional harvest houses built on stilts.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #9883 on: June 17, 2011, 08:31:22 am »
Ooooooh, and early this AM, we had major thunderstorms!  They woke me out of a sound sleep, it was pretty loud!  I did manage to turn over and go back to sleep.

Woke me up, too. Except then they kept me awake. I couldn't go back to sleep.  >:(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #9884 on: June 18, 2011, 11:45:57 am »
Today's travel destination:

Bodrum & the Lycian Coast, Turkey

Most cruises on the traditinal wooden boats called gulets are booked by the week, but it's worth taking even a day trip south from the ancient port city of Bodrum, itself a charming seaside port.  You can cruise to the gorgeous mountain-rimmed Cokova Gulf and have a simple lunch caught and prepared by your crew, in a secluded cove.

Well I've been there! Just back from Turkey today but this time I was in a different area, Side. I was in Bodrum a few years ago on a day trip from Kos when I was there for my sisters wedding. It was fun, and the harbour area is very pretty!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #9885 on: June 20, 2011, 07:53:21 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Friday night was crazy!  Commute home was awful!  I kept waiting for the funnel cloud to come and take me away.  Awful thunder, lightning strikes, floods, and hail.  At a few points the hail was pounding down so hard, I thought the windshield was going to crack.  We've had hail before, but this was dime-sized and slamming down hard!

Saturday I had a brunch with my family for father's day, and then went into NYC for a Brokie dinner.   ;D

Sunday I went bowling and then took a walk later in the day.

Dolomite Mountains - Italy

The Dolomites, in the northern reaches of Italy, are popular in winter for excellant skiing but are just as beautiful in the summer, when hikers and horseback riders can explore a landscape of snowy peaks and green alpine meadows.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline dejavu

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9886 on: June 20, 2011, 12:23:05 pm »
Just beautiful, Chuck.

Hope your Monday is better than your Friday, weather-wise at least.   :)
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #9887 on: June 20, 2011, 02:24:50 pm »
My father went there when he was in the Army, just after WWII, I still have postcards pasted in the photo album from the Dolomite's.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #9888 on: June 21, 2011, 08:19:26 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

Well, Monday went off without a hitch!  LOL  Let's see what Tuesday brings!

;D

Otavalo, Ecuador

The oldest, best-known, and most important Indian market in South America takes place every Saturday in Otavalo, Ecuador, high in the Andes.  But this weekend in particular is the best time to go:  part of a holiday for patro saints when Indians come from near and far.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #9889 on: June 22, 2011, 08:02:52 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

Need more sleep!

>:(

Oh well, perhaps tonight.   Work has been keeping me busy, but thankfully it seems to be pretty under control.  The busy season may spill into July, we'll see.  Hopefully not, but if it does, not too much into next month.

Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts, USA

The cliffs of Aquinnah, often called Gay Head, are a perfect place to watch a sunset on Martha's Vineyard, recently a favorite vacation spot of presidents but always an island of beautiful beaches, woods, farmland, cranberry bogs, and charming inns.