Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3130833 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #5470 on: October 13, 2006, 10:08:06 am »
Update to "The Red Stallion"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/133445.html  "Chapter 31:  Fastidious"

kudos to Leslie for calling this one!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5471 on: October 13, 2006, 10:22:09 am »
Update to "The Red Stallion"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/133445.html  "Chapter 31:  Fastidious"

kudos to Leslie for calling this one!

I don't usually speculate on the board, but this one to me was as obvious as a pig in mud. I couldn't resist. LOL.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #5472 on: October 13, 2006, 10:23:07 am »
Pillsbury Crescent rolls were invented in the mid 1960s, designed to be a timesaver for the busy housewife who didn't have time to bake from scratch. The Doughboy (actually, his name is Poppin' Fresh) is the advertising icon for the brand.

The dough comes in a cardboard tube, which you whack against the edge of the counter (or press with a spoon). You take out the little circles and line them up on your cookie sheet, bake for 15 mintues at 400 degrees and voila! Hot, fresh baked biscuits!

Edna might argue about the quality but they really aren't bad. We usually have a tube or two of some sort of Pillsbury Poppin' Fresh product in the refrigerator in my house.

For you Brits...do you have a grocery store that sells food items for homesick ex-pat Americans? You might find them there. LOL

L

So there,e biscuits then? But, and forgive me for being dense, (I,m British blame that lol) why do you eat biscuits with your dinner? Bread rolls or nann bread sure, but biscuits? They are things we dunk in our tea, or coffee. I dont geddit. ??? ???
« Last Edit: October 13, 2006, 10:26:01 am by souxi »

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #5473 on: October 13, 2006, 10:24:29 am »
We have Walmart over here Leslie, maybe they sell them. I,ll have to look one day. :)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #5474 on: October 13, 2006, 10:33:01 am »
Biscuits in America are similar to what British know as scones.

Biscuits in England are what Americans call "cookies."  They are not what Americans call biscuits - which have no sugar in them, generally.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5475 on: October 13, 2006, 10:47:15 am »
So there,e biscuits then? But, and forgive me for being dense, (I,m British blame that lol) why do you eat biscuits with your dinner? Bread rolls or nann bread sure, but biscuits? They are things we dunk in our tea, or coffee. I dont geddit. ??? ???

This is making me laugh out loud... the image of having a dinner of meatloaf and green beans with a plate of Oreos as the starch accompaniment!

Sorry...don't mean to tease. As Louise said, your biscuits are our cookies. [Do you have Oreos over there? "America's favorite cookie" -- two chocolate wafers with a white cream in between]. With a meal, some sort of bread is often served: bread, rolls, or biscuits. The thing that distinguishes a biscuit from a bread is that they are not made with yeast. The leavening agent is usually baking powder or baking soda. They do not need to rise before baking (as yeast breads do) and are often called "quick."

A few million posts ago, I posted a recipe for Edna's biscuits. It is over in the gallery, now, if anyone is inclined to experiment in the kitchen.

Meanwhile, here's an Oreo.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #5476 on: October 13, 2006, 10:57:37 am »
This is making me laugh out loud... the image of having a dinner of meatloaf and green beans with a plate of Oreos as the starch accompaniment!

Sorry...don't mean to tease. As Louise said, your biscuits are our cookies. [Do you have Oreos over there? "America's favorite cookie" -- two chocolate wafers with a white cream in between]. With a meal, some sort of bread is often served: bread, rolls, or biscuits. The thing that distinguishes a biscuit from a bread is that they are not made with yeast. The leavening agent is usually baking powder or baking soda. They do not need to rise before baking (as yeast breads do) and are often called "quick."

A few million posts ago, I posted a recipe for Edna's biscuits. It is over in the gallery, now, if anyone is inclined to experiment in the kitchen.

Meanwhile, here's an Oreo.

Leslie

Yes I knew you call biscuits cookies lol. As for those Oreos? We,d call them custard creams. Thats because you can get ones with yellow cream in and bourbons that have chocolate cream in them. Custard creams are GROSS. eeww. And yes I also know the difference between biscuits and bread lol it,s just that we all have different names for different things, or sometimes a different name for the same thing, thats why I get confused. It happens a lot lol. I,ve often meant to ask about Ennis and Ellery eating so many biscuits with everything. I learn something new every day. And I tell ya something else too, thanks to Louise, over the past 3 or 4 months, I,ve learnt an awful lot about gay sex lol. ;) Mind you, I think we all have due to Louise,s HOT writing. :o :o :o

Offline NavyVet

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Harm/Tony - My fav rare pair
« Reply #5477 on: October 13, 2006, 11:02:23 am »

PS...I am sure everyone has heard this a million times, but I'll mention it again for the one person on this planet who might not know this bit of trivia: this is the role that Larry McMurtry saw Heath in and said, "That's Ennis."

Wow, I did not know that.   :)  That is cool trivia to know.  Thanx for sharing.  I saw that movie once and can't remember much about it, only that it was sad.  I don't even recall what happened to Heath's character.
(Brain damage can be so annoying sometimes)   :D
NavyVet
"Brokeback Mountain:  Where slash is canon!"

yb

« Reply #5478 on: October 13, 2006, 11:03:22 am »
I don't usually speculate on the board, but this one to me was as obvious as a pig in mud. I couldn't resist. LOL.

L

Would Ennis relate Francine's strange behaviour to the bedroom scene some time later when he is sober?

Offline NavyVet

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Harm/Tony - My fav rare pair
« Reply #5479 on: October 13, 2006, 11:20:26 am »
Wow!  I log in this morning to find 3 chappies to read ... in a row!  Cool Beans!
Awesome stuff.
Not to mention pages of E&E thread to catch up on.  What fun!

*shudders at the image of dunking rinner roll type objects in coffe or tea*    :laugh:

Southerners serve biscuits up with gravy for breakfast.  I myself prefer the crusty French or Italian type bread/rolls .. or some good Polish rye bread.    Oh, darn ... now I'm hungry! 

*grumbles at the unfairness of being stuck on a no sugar, low sodium, low carb diet*   :P
NavyVet
"Brokeback Mountain:  Where slash is canon!"