Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3169905 times)

Offline RonitR

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #7860 on: November 29, 2006, 07:07:00 am »
There's also the fact that Jeremy has been around gays for sometime, while Ennis's sole experience before meeting Jack, was seeing the corpse of a rancher who was tortured and killed for being gay. That has to make a huge difference when it comes to dealing with your own sexuality. Poor Ennis. Jeremy is lucky.

I agree. Dupree has also had Ennis and Ellery as a role-model for a same same-sex happy couple, and he lives in a relatively tolerant environment (Wes, Edna, the
cops at the station who know about Ellery).

On the other hand, there were gay - related shootings (!), Amos Marigold, the difficulty finding a non - homophobic ADA...

Plus, He had feelings about men before, but didn't own up to then until he was 26. We can't expect it to be smooth sailing ...

PS - good luck with the job situation, Louise!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #7861 on: November 29, 2006, 07:22:57 am »
Jeremy leaving his job at the Laramie Police Dept.? I thought he just got promoted! Maybe Nick can come home after finishing his duty or whatever at the Navy. It is going to be hard for Jeremy to leave Laramie, that's for sure. Besides, what's he's going to do on Whidbey while Nick is off at the sea? He'll have more fun at the Stallion.

Because this has been a point of confusion, I feel the need to remind everyone that Ellery, Jeremy, Wes, Joe, et al. all work for the Albany County Sheriff's Department (Laramie is in Albany County; Cheyenne is in Laramie County. Go figure).

And has anyone noticed, now that Dupree seems to be involved in some sort of romance, we've all started calling him Jeremy?

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7862 on: November 29, 2006, 07:26:17 am »

And has anyone noticed, now that Dupree seems to be involved in some sort of romance, we've all started calling him Jeremy?

Leslie

You know, I still find myself calling him Dupree, dunno why. Perhaps it's cause Dupree sounds more exotic to my ear, and I went to school with a Jeremy (he mustn't have left a good impression).   :laugh:

Karen
« Last Edit: November 29, 2006, 07:26:48 am by MaineWriter »

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #7863 on: November 29, 2006, 07:42:31 am »
no, no send-off after work.  We are actually having a Christmas party next Monday night at an Italian restaurant, so that is going to somewhat serve as my "Abschied" - farewell here.

I am finishing up my documentation of my version 2.0 stuff, and will be cleaning up my PC and the desk here, then wandering home sometime later this afternoon.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #7864 on: November 29, 2006, 08:02:46 am »
no, nothing is finalized as yet. I was told it might be end of week before the customer in Switzerland catches up and I get the final interview, but I have been "vouched for," and the situation is on track.

If not I may be looking for a room in oh, say, Belgium or Holland for a few weeks!

Well, just let me know ok?

more chocolates await you over here!  ;D
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #7865 on: November 29, 2006, 08:11:09 am »
in the case that I get the job offer in Switzerland, all I will have to do in December is move house and clean up my apartment, so if any of you people within driving distance have any time between now and say, Christmas - June, Fabienne... I may be able to make a trip without much time constraint!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #7866 on: November 29, 2006, 08:18:59 am »
in the case that I get the job offer in Switzerland, all I will have to do in December is move house and clean up my apartment, so if any of you people within driving distance have any time between now and say, Christmas - June, Fabienne... I may be able to make a trip without much time constraint!

i'll make time! that's for sure.

fingers crossed for the job in Switzerland.  :)

you will be writing the final chapter tomorrow Louise? The delmarriage? In that case i'm putting a bottle of champagne in my fridge, to celebrate,  :) and keep my hankies ready. :'(  I'm sure i'll need them.

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7867 on: November 29, 2006, 08:19:57 am »
As far as there being 20 uninvited guests crashing the reception, Ennis would have a fit!   

If Wes and Edna are throwing this shindig, then you can be sure the invite list will be small and very select.    Not to mention probably hosted at Wes & Ednas, not at the Red Stallion!

Now where were we with that list?.......

Wes & Edna
Dupree & Nick <-both in dress uniform  (sigh)
Lauren & Simon
Alma Junior & Jenny

And the list of people that the Sheriff's Dept has NOT to be let on the property:

Wayne & Pete
Gabe
Bruce Eagleton
Alma Senior <not that she'd come, unless it was to object!

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7868 on: November 29, 2006, 08:21:29 am »

you will be writing the final chapter tomorrow Louise? The delmarriage?

Stop saying final!      Waaaa!     :'(

Offline opinionista

« Reply #7869 on: November 29, 2006, 08:24:30 am »
A Hugh dance interlude!

:D

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.