Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3169939 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #8580 on: December 14, 2006, 10:16:17 am »
From Chapter 54, Wild Bronc makes its first appearance...

Ellery hung on, backing off Ennis’s cock gradually and swallowing hard, his face flushed, and looked up, still holding Ennis’s twitching cock as it softened, licking his mouth.  “I got a new name for you, boy.  Wild bronc.  Ya almost threw me with that last buck.”

Ennis closed his eyes, his face burning.  “Sorry... couldn’t help it.”

Ellery reached over with a long hand and stroked his cheek.  “That’s what I like about you... yer a wild one.  Wouldn’t have it any other way.”  He slid up and put an arm around Ennis’s shoulders, nuzzling his neck, whispering to him now, to calm him,  “yer my wild bronc, Ennis.”

And though he didn’t reply, his face still burning with embarrassment, underlying it was a fierce pleasure at Ellery’s dirty talk, at naming him... wild bronc, it intoxicated him with a secret joy, as if the name had unleashed some wild element of himself that he had only known out in the far wilderness, away from everyone else, and only in the arms of one man.  A part of himself that he had missed for far too long, and kept chained for most of his long, lonely life... and finally had been let free.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8581 on: December 14, 2006, 10:22:44 am »
From Chapter 55, a growing intimacy...

“C’mere,” Ennis said softly, pulling him back, his mouth working his way across Ellery’s cheek to his own mouth, giving him a soft, tender kiss, not lingering.  “Find out all you want bout me, the only secret I got is what I do in bed with you, darlin.”

Ellery blinked, startled.  “What’d you call me?”

Ennis blushed, forcing his eyes to stay focused on the man in his arms.  “Darlin.  Hope ya don’t mind.”

Ellery pulled him tighter.  “As long as you don’t mind me callin ya all the silly names I do…”

Ennis dropped his voice.  “Kinda like ‘sweetheart’ “ he mumbled.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8582 on: December 14, 2006, 10:25:26 am »
"Mmm   mm.   Desert was great, but whats fer breakfast?"

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8583 on: December 14, 2006, 10:30:36 am »
also from Chapter 55:

Ennis padded quietly back into the bedroom, still amazed at what he had just learned about how Ellery lived semi-openly with his sexuality, the freedom he enjoyed, not to have to worry about being seen in public with another man, the facile cover tale that no one believed sufficient to keep everyone minding their own business. He stretched out on the bed, and Ellery plopped down next to him.

“You got wheels turnin Ennis, what’s on yer mind?”

“Just feelin what it’s like… for normal people ta know.”

“We are normal people Ennis. We’re just queer in a sexual way. And there ain’t nothing bad about that.”

“I never thought that way, Ellery. It is gonna take some getting used to.”

Ellery nodded, slipping into bed next to him and putting his arms around him once more. “I know, sweetheart. I know it is.”

L

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #8584 on: December 14, 2006, 01:23:57 pm »
“Aw. Damn cat. Neighbor oughta keep it in.”

That one little sentence is just too sweet for words.  Ennis and his tender heart - I'm so happy Ellery has custody of it.

Haven't had time to read all the chapters today - but am enjoying the quotes!

Thanks, Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #8585 on: December 14, 2006, 01:49:24 pm »
“Aw. Damn cat. Neighbor oughta keep it in.”

That one little sentence is just too sweet for words.  Ennis and his tender heart - I'm so happy Ellery has custody of it.

Haven't had time to read all the chapters today - but am enjoying the quotes!

Thanks, Marie

You're right Marie, there are some very sweet sentences in these chapters. Like 'me casa es su casa'  so nice.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #8586 on: December 14, 2006, 01:53:24 pm »
and there are some very funny lines in these chapters too:

“More glamorous livin, Ennis, bein a business owner, sit here an make little stacks a money ta ship off to the bank. Ain’t it a lark?”

Ennis shrugged. “Don’t smell as bad as muckin out heifers.”

or

Fuckin Bill done this ta me. An if I weren’t such an idiot I woulda seen just how insane he was when he did this shit with my partner four years ago. But I wasn’t listenin to my lawyer then an part a me was still thinkin with my gonads.”

“Yer what?”

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

thank you for asking Ennis. I didn't know what gonads were either!
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #8587 on: December 14, 2006, 05:05:36 pm »

“Yer what?”

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

thank you for asking Ennis. I didn't know what gonads were either!

We've all learned something or other from Ennis along the way, eh?
 :)
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #8588 on: December 14, 2006, 07:42:01 pm »
I think we need a pic of the boys to go along with the reread:

This pic probably wasn't introduced until a bit later, when we learn about Ennis seeing green.
 ;D
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8589 on: December 15, 2006, 08:07:54 am »
Good morning re-readers!

Chapters 56-60 today.

http://louisev.livejournal.com/16726.html

from chapter 56, a bit of Ellery's theories on homosexuality and Hollywood. If everyone remembers, this comes up again later.

After dinner – hotdogs and beans (over Ennis’s soft objection) – Ellery did propose a movie, and they watched Ennis’s first Alfred Hitchcock film, “Psycho.” Ellery commented that it seemed apt, since he had much to learn about how crazy men behaved, that he should study more films about psychos, but Ennis suspected the real reason was that Ellery wanted Ennis’s opinion on Tony Perkins. “He’s queer, ya know,” Ellery commented obliquely.

“How’d you know that? Jes intuition?”

“Nope... one a the beat officers was a body guard for em in Los Angeles when he was makin a film and he’d order up boys for rent when he was at the hotel, an some of em were real young. Now, if the only kinda queer ya ever see is that kind, rentin teenage boys for fun, course ya gonna get a bad opinion. But hetrosexual men do the same damn shit, with even younger girls, so queer men aren’t any more evil as a rule, that’s how I look at it.” Ennis found this piece of intelligence fascinating, and he watched Perkins a great deal more closely in the film, concluding that he liked Jack Nicholson a lot better.

L