Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3169902 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #8600 on: December 16, 2006, 10:40:43 am »
One of the most famous lines in the story, here in Chapter 61:

“I wouldn’t go if I thought he was dangerous, sweetheart. An I sure wouldn’t let you come with. In any case a uniform’ll be there by the time we arrive to keep things cool.

“You really think Bill is gonna be cool?” Ennis gave him a doubtful look.

“Then again maybe I’m just bein a jackass an not thinkin straight. Whatever you do... in yer condition, do not let him throw another punch, because you could be back in the hospital again in no time... an that bein in the hospital plays havoc with our sex life.”

“Yes Deputy.”

Ellery sniffed, nibbled at Ennis’s lip before he stepped back. “Chief Deputy darlin ta you.”

L

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8601 on: December 16, 2006, 10:51:58 am »
From Chapter 62:

He sank back against the headboard and held out his arms.  “Please hold me, sweetheart.  I am the biggest jackass in the world.  How could I ever of gone for a man like Bill?”

Ennis took his arms and moved closer, resting his head against Ellery’s shoulder.  “Only human, Deputy darlin.  Yer only human.”

“Yeah, too fuckin bad, huh?”  He sighed, and for the first time, Ennis felt Ellery tremble all over with emotional tension.  He held Ellery until that trembling subsided, and when he lifted his head to look in his eyes, he saw tears, slowly making their way down his face.  This was the first time he had seen Ellery cry.  He kissed his cheeks gently, moving slowly toward his mouth, then moved his lips softly over Ellery’s mouth, just barely touching.

“It’ll be all right.  I’m here,”  he whispered to him.  And they lay in one another’s arms until both finally drifted back to sleep.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8602 on: December 16, 2006, 11:18:43 am »
At the barbecue at Wes's house, Chapter 65:

This was just a normal barbecue, friendly, open people, easy banter, and delicious smelling food.  He found it impossible to believe that Carol and Wes, maybe Warren and the others… all knew.  Their smiles seemed genuine, uninhibited, truly friendly.  It couldn’t be because Carol was so grateful for Ellery rescuing her son… Wes couldn’t be this nice to him because he was a good man who did a good job… or could it?  Could it be that Ennis had been wrong all this time, and there really were good people who didn’t give a rat’s ass if he was queer or not?  Ellery sat down next to Ennis, giving him a smile.  “That beer okay? They gave us this Mexican stuff, maybe ya want somethin different?”

“No, this is fine Ellery, really,” he replied.  “Don’t fuss over me,” he added quietly.

“Okay boy, yer on yer own.”

L

yb

« Reply #8603 on: December 16, 2006, 11:27:51 am »
I read the 5 chapters earlier and the section Leslie quoted from chapter 62 really stands out.  It is the first time we were exposed to the fact that Ellery's emotionally vulnerable, and needed Ennis to hold him until he calmed down a bit.  When Ennis was an emotional wreck, it's always Ellery who's there to comfort him, and now it's Ennis's turn to offer the same support to Ellery.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #8604 on: December 16, 2006, 12:52:18 pm »
I read the 5 chapters earlier and the section Leslie quoted from chapter 62 really stands out.  It is the first time we were exposed to the fact that Ellery's emotionally vulnerable, and needed Ennis to hold him until he calmed down a bit.  When Ennis was an emotional wreck, it's always Ellery who's there to comfort him, and now it's Ennis's turn to offer the same support to Ellery.

Yes, that's so true.  We begin to see the very important balance in the relationship that will sustain them in the trying times ahead. 

Thanks - Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #8605 on: December 16, 2006, 01:09:24 pm »
Good morning re-readers, and hello to Louise and Fabienne in Belgium!

L

hello! *waives to leslie and all others*

having a wonderful time with louise. The visit to Brussels was cut short by appaling weather! Never mind, there's lot's of typety type type going on.  :)
And i get to watch!  ;D

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline NavyVet

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Harm/Tony - My fav rare pair
« Reply #8606 on: December 16, 2006, 03:00:47 pm »
3 days to go until my Birthday - and Jake's!  Hooo-weeeeee!

(Just wish I was his age!)

NavyVet
"Brokeback Mountain:  Where slash is canon!"

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8607 on: December 16, 2006, 03:18:00 pm »

hello! *waives to leslie and all others*

having a wonderful time with louise. The visit to Brussels was cut short by appaling weather! Never mind, there's lot's of typety type type going on.  :)
And i get to watch!  ;D

Oh boy, thanks for checking in!

L

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #8608 on: December 16, 2006, 03:23:12 pm »
Louise says: 'i'm making Fabienne typ this (Duh!) because i can't type in Dutch. We had a lovely lunch in rainy Brussels and got in some quality time writing the second instalment of our upcoming story about Ellery and Ennis. I'll be home tomorrow evening unless Fabienne gets me a new keyboard  :P'

muhahahaha

Fabienne says: you gotta love our Louise  ;D

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #8609 on: December 16, 2006, 04:18:39 pm »
Louise says: 'i'm making Fabienne typ this (Duh!) because i can't type in Dutch. We had a lovely lunch in rainy Brussels and got in some quality time writing the second instalment of our upcoming story about Ellery and Ennis. I'll be home tomorrow evening unless Fabienne gets me a new keyboard  :P'

muhahahaha

Fabienne says: you gotta love our Louise  ;D

Awww ~ you two! So happy you're having a good time! I should have been there!!  :'(