Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3169694 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #8790 on: January 05, 2007, 09:55:33 am »
More from Chp 56:

Ennis looked up at him, a look of guilt on his face. “You... ain’t mad at me?”

“It ain’t like I can’t work on the case anymore Ennis. It’s just a more low key type of thing. I’ll live. Read yer damn card. It’s you I care about. I wouldn’t a gone out an got you flowers if I was pissed at you gettin Wes into this. I ain’t happy but I would be even less happy if you took off an left me cause a the fear I was gonna go out an get myself killed doin an undercover investigation on a dangerous suspect.”

“Yer sure...” Ennis was all hesitancy.

“Tell ya what, sweetheart. Let’s have a nice early dinner an then we can retire to the bedroom an I can show ya just how much I love ya. That sound okay?”

“Sounds good.”

“That’s good, because it’s been at least two days since I sucked cock an I’m gettin thirsty.”

“Jesus Ellery!” Ennis gasped.

Ellery grinned at him, turning and going back to the oven. “Got yer attention?”

“Got Jack’s attention...” he pressed his hand into his swelling crotch.

“Good, that’s what I was hopin. Pies should be done now. First things first.”

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8791 on: January 05, 2007, 09:56:57 am »
And a few final words from Chp 56:

“Oh Jesus darlin... oh jesus....“ he cried, the cry disintegrating into a soft sob of relief, and he reached out his arms to pull Ellery down, to cover him, to touch every inch of that lean, warm body that had wrought such pleasure from him... holding on to the thing he could no longer live without, not for a single day – his love.

Ahhhhh...

L

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #8792 on: January 05, 2007, 09:58:45 am »
And a few final words from Chp 56:

“Oh Jesus darlin... oh jesus....“ he cried, the cry disintegrating into a soft sob of relief, and he reached out his arms to pull Ellery down, to cover him, to touch every inch of that lean, warm body that had wrought such pleasure from him... holding on to the thing he could no longer live without, not for a single day – his love.

Ahhhhh...

L

Ahhh, is right! Thank you for the quotes Leslie!  :)

« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 10:03:45 am by MaineWriter »
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

yb

« Reply #8793 on: January 05, 2007, 10:03:30 am »
Chapter 56:

Ellery was making a fresh pot of coffee when the door opened, and he stuck his head out. “Hey stranger. I came home early fer a change.”

Ennis lighted up with a smile, first at seeing him, then at the smell of the baking biscuits. “Yer makin doughboys.”

“Would it put too fine a point on it if I burned em or can we skip that part?”

“I’d rather eat em.”

“I got some fresh meat pies ta go with em too, you know, from that deli where they have the lean hamburger an all.”

Ennis came into the kitchen, rubbing up against him, leaning in a little for a kiss. “So what’s all this about?”

“It’s me apologizin to ya.”

“I thought we did all that last night?”

“Well no it was you givin me the ride a my life I thought. An I didn’t apologize properly.”

Ennis shrugged. “Okay.” He went over to the table and sat down, noticing that there were roses in a vase on the table. “Somebody deliver flowers or somethin?”

“Read the card,” Ellery said, pretending to check the pies and biscuits.

Ennis plucked the card from among the long stems and deep red blooms, and opened it.

“To my one and only true love, my deepest apologies, Ellery”

Ennis looked at the card for a long moment, his hand holding the card dropping into his lap.

“You know nobody never got me flowers before...”

“Aww well it’s about time then I guess huh?”

L

Oh, Leslie, you quoted this chapter, too.  Just now after re-reading upto chapter 55, I went on to this chapter and was tempted to quote this part but I thought to wait until tomorrow.  I love, love this chapter very much, and I remembered the card you made, thank you for re-posting the card here.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8794 on: January 05, 2007, 10:06:54 am »
Oh, Leslie, you quoted this chapter, too.  Just now after re-reading upto chapter 55, I went on to this chapter and was tempted to quote this part but I thought to wait until tomorrow.  I love, love this chapter very much, and I remembered the card you made, thank you for re-posting the card here.

Ellery wrote the card, I just managed to sneak it into the archives for posterity... ;)

L

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #8795 on: January 05, 2007, 10:41:00 am »
The Quote-Mistress always gets the good quotes!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8796 on: January 05, 2007, 10:42:35 am »
The Quote-Mistress always gets the good quotes!

Ah, gee, thanks....

L

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8797 on: January 06, 2007, 10:01:22 am »
Good morning re-readers,

Since we read ahead yesterday, only four chapters today to stay on track: 57-60.

http://louisev.livejournal.com/42957.html

From 57:

Ellery had just finished scheduling the lineup with Amos Marigold, spent some time glowering over his coffee cup at Carol, and then finally decided to say something.

“Hey Carol, I know you are super busy sometimes with real police business like assaults, shootings, witnesses, subpoenas and all that, but I got a question for ya about telephone calls."

She looked suspiciously at him and said… “I forgot ta give ya a message didn’t I?”

“Yeah.”

“I’m sorry Ellery but he called an said it was no big deal an then the DA got me on the phone for half an hour an by then you was already gone off to see Mrs. Palmer and –“

“It’s okay… well it ain’t okay because he was real upset I didn’t call him back but if I’m here, even if I’m on the phone, can I ask ya ta bend an effort ta put em through? It ain’t like he calls all the time, ya know?”

“I know, Ellery. I’m real sorry. You guys make up an all?”

Ellery gave her a sharp glance. “What made ya think we was fightin?”

“Because you’d never a mentioned it if you hadn’t had a fight about it.”

“That’s why yer so good at yer job, Carol, because you can pull a fact outta practically nowhere.”

L

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8798 on: January 06, 2007, 11:21:07 am »
From Chapter 58:

“I got nothin but time if you got nothin but money,” he replied, and once again, Ennis startled slightly as he thought he saw Nate wink at him. Except that this time his remark was more suggestive.

“What’s that for?” Ennis grumbled, disturbed.

“What you don’t like a man givin ya a wink? I thought you was queer. An yer a nice lookin guy.”

Ennis’s mouth dropped open. “How the hell’d you know that?”

“Saw you outside the Red Stallion few weeks ago when the police were there with the owner an the manager. You step out with the owner don’t ya? The deputy sheriff?”

“Well you don’t miss a thing in this town do ya?”

“I’m right ain’t I? Sorry if I offended ya. Maybe yer steady with em.”

“You might say,” he stammered. “Ain’t interested in… nobody.”

“That’s okay,” Nate said. “But I do think our kind are better off watchin each other’s backs if you know what I mean.”

L

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8799 on: January 06, 2007, 11:21:55 am »
And in case anyone has forgotten, here is what Nate looks like:

L