Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3145242 times)

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #1620 on: July 17, 2006, 07:27:37 am »
Leslie,

You need not go any farther than Provincetown, Massachusetts for a nude beach.

At the end of Route 6 is Herring Cove Beach.    From the main parking lot, if you walk to the right on the beach a long ways up you'll see where the girls hang out naked.  If you walk to the left side a long ways up thats where the boys are.     As I've walked there I have noticed mixed boy/girl couples past the regular familes but before the naked guys.   The clothed families stay near the center section.   I've seen topless girls with their clothed boyfriends at the halfway point.     

It is not an "Official" nude beach.   But it seems to be tolerated.   The National Parks Rangers often will drive right by and not say anything as long as people are behaving themselves.     But I've heard that they sometimes will stop and tell folks to get dressed.   But not when I was there!   ::)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1621 on: July 17, 2006, 07:41:11 am »

It is not an "Official" nude beach.   But it seems to be tolerated.   The National Parks Rangers often will drive right by and not say anything as long as people are behaving themselves.     But I've heard that they sometimes will stop and tell folks to get dressed.   But not when I was there!   ::)

I think the general line with the NPS is that it is tolerated. That is the case on Fire Island (Davis Park, Cherry Grove, the Pines), the beach near Cape Canaveral in FL, and some in California.

One of these days I'll get to P-town. I've actually only been to the Cape once! Nice beach on Martha's Vineyard, too, I've heard. The one closest to me would have been near Newburyport, MA but is was closed to protect the piper plover habitat.

Maybe, to keep this on topic, I need to repost that picture of a skinny dipping Ellery...in fact, I will, since I know we have newcomers who might not have seen it yet.

He took a little sojurn over to another thread (they were discussing the weather) but he is back now, where he belongs. Hi El!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline David

« Reply #1622 on: July 17, 2006, 07:42:13 am »
TFW?    I hope not!

Phillip created BetterMost as a "Safe Haven" for all BBM fans.   Sort of a nuetral country like Switzerland!   LOL.

This is where the Refugees from IMDB and other boards have fled to for comfort and safety.    Granted, there are some BetterMostians that have never entered these threads.  They are no doubt "Purists" who only want to study the book/movie.   But thats OK too.   They respect our enjoyment of the E&E saga as much as we love Ennis and Jack.     

There have been a few bruised egos and people that have left, but 99.9% of us play well together here.    As BBM told us, you either "Stand it or fix it".  And those that can't do either .. well, they retreat to their trailers and sulk until they are ready to rejoin society.     

And to quote Forest Gump...."and that's all I have to say on that subject".

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1623 on: July 17, 2006, 07:54:38 am »
Bettermost is a safe haven, and I am willing to leave it at that.

I had momentary abberration yesterday and ventured away...as Helen said, it must have been the heat. Or maybe as with Dorothy, you need to see something else to know "there's no place like home." How very true. I am glad to be here with all you wonderful folks.

And I am eager....very eager, are you listening Louise?....for our next installment! Louise had a slight cultural break yesterday, now it is time for the writing to re-commence!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #1624 on: July 17, 2006, 07:56:59 am »
heheheh oh sure, blame it all on me.

Unfortunately for you guys, I am jet setting in Europe doing software consulting, and today is just one of those days when I have to ... well you know... consult.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1625 on: July 17, 2006, 08:00:57 am »
Oh. My. God.

I have just had a revelation....I think I am the luckiest woman on this board...luckier than any of you. You guys are gonna be soooooo jealous.....

Ellery Ennis
El      En
L      N

My initials...LN. Oh my god, I am more than an E&E forever type girl, I carry them with me in my name.

So there, everyone!

LN

Offline David

« Reply #1626 on: July 17, 2006, 08:10:08 am »
LOL,  OK  "L"

I can do that too ya know!

Let's see.... Jack Nasty?  Nas-"D"   D in David?    Yeah that works.   :laugh:

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1627 on: July 17, 2006, 08:17:59 am »
LOL,  OK  "L"

I can do that too ya know!

Let's see.... Jack Nasty?  Nas-"D"   D in David?    Yeah that works.   :laugh:

Well, David...we have Ennis Del Mar...Del Mar...D...David

Ellery John Cantrell....um, David, I just realized...I don't know your last name! LOL

LN

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1628 on: July 17, 2006, 08:31:23 am »
Stats Time:

Replies: 1621
Views: 9227

With 50 more replies, we'll pass "The person below me" game.

With about 1000 more views, we'll pass "the performance."

We have about a 1:6 ratio of replies to views (1 reply for every 6 views).

We average 62 posts per day, so we should become the 4th most popular thread (replies) sometime today. We average 410 views per day, so we should become the 3rd most popular thread (views) in the next day or two.

All this in 23 days since our inception!

LN
StatsChick

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1629 on: July 17, 2006, 08:34:25 am »

2) Ellery (the O.C. love interest) is not an "openly gay law enforcement official living in Rural Wyoming."  The back story in "Taking Chances" reveals that Ellery's boss and the D.A., as well as selected veterans in the Sheriff's department, learned of his homosexuality when he was forcibly outed by his lover, who caused a disturbance in his office.  Due to the recent repeal of the Wyoming Sodomy law (1977) (the fic takes place in 1984) his status as a homosexual living with another man was found to be legal, and attempts to oust him from his job (he was a 12 year veteran by now) were unsuccessful, leading to the firing of those colleagues who refused to work with a "queer."  His status in "Taking Chances" is not "openly gay."  In addition, Ennis does not live openly with him when they move in together, but they use a "don't ask don't tell" policy with those around them, particularly on the job.  Ellery's way of answering people regarding questions of his homosexuality are that due to the sensitivity of his job it is a question he does not answer.

This is interesting, Louise, and you provide more detail here than you have in the book. Is this something that will be discussed more fully in "Shelter from the Storm"? I know you may not know the answer to that yet, but just curious if this is something that is rumbling around in your mind.

Also, Ellery's boss--I am assuming Wes--this is the first time he learned that Ellery was gay? Was Mel Ruskin the DA at that time?

Leslie
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 08:36:36 am by MaineWriter »