Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3171066 times)

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #2900 on: August 15, 2006, 04:09:56 am »
Ennis is only 39-Brad Pitt is 40...

Brad Pitt will look 29 when he is 80!
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2901 on: August 15, 2006, 08:01:46 am »
As we are deep into hundreds of thousands of words in the Laramie Saga, I thought it might be fun to remember the first time we all met Chief Deputy Ellery J. Cantrell, who wasn't even the chief deputy at that point.....

Bill was smiling widely as the newcomer came up the stairs, Gene hanging on his arm, his flirtatious manner returned in force. "Nice ta see ya Cantrell, come on in and have some grub. This here's Ennis del... Mar, is that right? From..."

"Sage."

Bill startled. "You come all the way from Sage? Shit boy, you are a long way from home."

Ellery Cantrell was an imposing figure, well over six feet tall as he bowed his head coming up the stairs, and stretched to his full height, clapping Bill hard on the shoulder and thrusting out a large, square hand to Ennis, who rose and accepted it. He had long, almost jet black hair, offset by pale, light grey eyes and a pale complexion, like pictures Ennis had seen of Doc Holliday, the infamous outlaw. And lean, almost as beanpole thin as Ennis himself, his figure made sharper by the trim black shirt, jet black leather vest and coal-black denims. When he spoke his voice was as deep as Ennis's own.

"Nice to meet you, Del Mar. Name's Ellery, just call me that. Bill likes ta get all formal with the law."

Ennis blinked, not knowing what to say except "Nice to know ya," and sat back down, wondering what the hell was going on.

Bill caught Ennis's stare. "Ellery... here, is a sheriff's deputy here in town."

"One a four, it ain't exactly my exclusive domain, Bill," the older man added politely, nodding as Gene began to pile a plate up for him, his frequent looks at Ellery making it plain that Gene flirted with everyone. Ellery showed no signs of noticing Gene's manner, however.

"Oh," said Ennis.

"I called him to talk. Informally, about what we oughta do about Wilson."

"All right boys, now let me have a nice piece a toast and some eggs while you tell me just exactly what it was Pete supposedly said to get the ol' boy riled up, and what he said when he come down to the bar and then I kin get a better idea about what's all involved here. By the way, where IS Pete?"

"Grady's watchin over him at the presidential suite at the Rose."

Ellery nodded, his brows coming up. "That suite's what, eighty dollars a night Bill."

"Lincoln, actually, Bill," Ennis corrected, feeling foolish. What difference did it make what suite Pete was booked into? He reached for a biscuit while Gene began to shovel eggs onto his own plate, giving Gene one of his tight, barely-there smiles as a way to thank him, and realized with some chagrin that he was uncomfortable next to the big deputy, and for the second time, asked himself what the hell was really going on here.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #2902 on: August 15, 2006, 10:06:58 am »
Romantic?

I got a couple of messages from a new reader, one at the end of "Taking Chances" and another in the middle of "Looking for Answers" (the 2nd book) "yearning for more romance and tenderness between E and E."

From those of you who have read further than the middle of LfA, did you find them getting more romantic?  Considering the amount of kissing and embracing going on I didn't ever consider there was a deficiency in the romance department here, but since someone is asking for it, I figured I would throw the question out.  Is this romance insufficiently romantic?
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
« Reply #2903 on: August 15, 2006, 10:24:07 am »
Not enough romance? How could we ever forget Ellery buying that bunch of roses for Ennis?

« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 10:36:07 am by magicmountain »
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2904 on: August 15, 2006, 10:30:00 am »
very true, very true.

Hey Jo, you hangin around?  Seems late at night in your part of the world?  I am in chat, and working on Chapter 68.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2905 on: August 15, 2006, 10:40:05 am »
Not enough romance? How could we ever forget Ellery buying that bunch of roses for Ennis?

And don't forget, with the roses came the card....

(and for those of you who said Ellery's handwriting looks like a doctor's...Louise gave her seal of approval to this card while we were in London.   ;)
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Polly

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #2906 on: August 15, 2006, 10:59:10 am »
Romantic?

From those of you who have read further than the middle of LfA, did you find them getting more romantic?  Considering the amount of kissing and embracing going on I didn't ever consider there was a deficiency in the romance department here, but since someone is asking for it, I figured I would throw the question out.  Is this romance insufficiently romantic?

I usually just lurk, Louise, but I wanted to say that I found 'Taking chances' infinitely romantic and tender, but without being corny or sentimental.  The basic themes are romantic in themselves (finding love when you think you'll never find it again, opening up to new possibilities).  But there's so much else as well - how open Ellery is about his feelings for Ennis from day one, how emotionally supportive he is to Ennis (especially round his guilt about Jack), the way Ennis looks after Ellery when he's crippled by back pain, all the physical contact (lots of kissing, hand-holding) that is as much tender and loving as sexual. 

Inevitably, the later volumes have got a broader focus so the emphasis is different, but, to me, the story remains centred in a relationship that is both tender and passionate.   This tenderness isn't just prompted by the more dramatic plot developments around danger, jealousy and insecurity (for example I love the wading-in-the-river scene which I suppose is a reaction to Ellery getting all angry about Beagle) - it's also shown in all the incidental pleasures of sharing your life with someone (breakfast in bed, having friends round for a barbeque). 

Of course, I'm biased because Ellery just does it for me as a romantic character!

Polly

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2907 on: August 15, 2006, 11:29:22 am »
Well that was a great confidence booster, Polly!  So you didn't find the earlier books to be deficient in the romance department then...!  Yes, we did have that bathing Ellery scene after he got injured didn't we?

thanks!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2908 on: August 15, 2006, 11:30:19 am »
Update to "Shelter From the Storm"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/93926.html  "Chapter 69:  Reopening"

Full of Joe goodness!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2909 on: August 15, 2006, 11:33:03 am »
Howdy folks!    

I didn't get to do all the updates to the Gallery yesterday, so hopefully tonight! :)