Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3169682 times)

Offline littleguitar

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • She was always a lonely child...
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #3860 on: September 13, 2006, 12:00:39 pm »
What if Jack is not dead?  I tend to agree with those who think Ellery will leave Ennis and let him get back with Jack.  But seeing as he is so vulnerable in the love dept, I'm afraid his future will be very bleak - will he commit suicide?  There's the possibility because this will hurt much more than his relation with Beagle.  But the reason behind Jack's disappearance for all those years will also play an important role in Ennis's decision.  It'll be such a terrible situation for them I can't even think how will they handle it.  :(

exactly my thoughts...
‘cause the truth is, I already give him everythin’ I got to give, more than I ever even knew I had; ‘n it all for him, all of it, him who is my brother, my father, my child, my friend, my lover, my heart, my soul; my Ennis.

-- del Mar Painting, Ch. 48 by b73

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3861 on: September 13, 2006, 12:03:58 pm »
Chiming in with my 2 cents on this discussion:

If Jack came back, I  think Ellery would feel like he is keeping Ennis from being with his first love, and he would opt to end the relationship with Ennis so that he could go be with Jack.  That said, I think Ennis' emotions would be in turmoil for a while and he would need some time to think and clear his head.  Like others have mentioned, Ennis has had a lot of positive changes over the past coupla months with Ellery and Jack must've changed too over the period he was gone.  That to me, does not mean that they would've lost the 'chemistry' they had before.  People grow and change in relationships and the person you fall in love with will not remain exactly the same forever, there will be some changes. 

That said, if Ennis spends time with Jack and realises he still misses him so much and would want to be with him, then he is indeed in a pickle because he loves Ellery as well .. if after spending some time with Jack, Ennis realises he loves Jack, but his place is with Ellery, that would also be a difficult situation to handle. :)  This is a toughie .. it raises another question in my mind:

Can you be in love with more than one person at the same time? :)

Offline ranchgal

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #3862 on: September 13, 2006, 12:15:14 pm »
y mind:

Can you be in love with more than one person at the same time? :)

I think you can carrry more than one person in your heart yes, and love more than one, esp in the context of past.   You don't have to forget, and you don't have stop loving/caring.(I watched The Bridges of Madison County last night!  ;))
But you can't physically live with more than one without more problems that it is worth.
One always has to come out as being in the HERE and NOW---and everyone else would have to remain only in your heart.    Otherwise you get into problems that are too scarey to think about.
It ends up being cheating or adultery, and neither of those would ever be options for me.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 12:18:10 pm by ranchgal »

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #3863 on: September 13, 2006, 12:38:21 pm »
oh that is a devilish question.

I stand by my original belief, that Ellery would pre-empt Ennis's own choice by breaking it off with him.  However, I doubt that would solve anything for Ennis, Ellery, OR Jack, and would pretty much be a gesture of useless self-sacrifice on Ellery's part.  Good thing we're certain that couldn't happen in this reality, huh?

HUH?
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MadLori

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Remember - Jack Nasty loves you.
« Reply #3864 on: September 13, 2006, 12:47:32 pm »
[
Good thing we're certain that couldn't happen in this reality, huh?

HUH?
[

Oh, no, Louise.  You can't do that to us.  Don't give us any doubt or stress.
Jack:  I could kick your ass any day of the week.
Ennis:  Then the weeks where you live must have a No Fuckin' Way Day.

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3865 on: September 13, 2006, 12:48:44 pm »
Slightly derailing from the discussion .. okay, maybe completely derailing from the discussion ..  :P

How is it that Ennis was not 'tempted' much much sooner?
I mean look at him ... basically sex on legs! (Wait..that is also a good description for Ellery!  8) )

« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 12:50:46 pm by Lucise »

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3866 on: September 13, 2006, 12:52:36 pm »
[[

Oh, no, Louise.  You can't do that to us.  Don't give us any doubt or stress.

Lori,

I thought that was an unambiguous comment.  Let me put it this way:  "Deus ex machina" plot twists give me headaches.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline opinionista

« Reply #3867 on: September 13, 2006, 12:53:52 pm »
Slightly derailing from the discussion .. okay, maybe completely derailing from the discussion ..  :P

How is it that Ennis was not 'tempted' much much sooner?
I mean look at him ... basically sex on legs! (Wait..that is also a good description for Ellery!  8) )

Ennis sure knows how to pick his men, doesn't he?  ;D
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 01:10:30 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #3868 on: September 13, 2006, 12:59:16 pm »
Lucise! I love you!  :)

Such sweet, gorgeous pics of Jack....

These 3 guys, Ennis, Ellery and Jack....just, WOW!  How would Ennis be able to choose?? Both of them so lovely and sweet...

:-*

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3869 on: September 13, 2006, 01:00:54 pm »
speaking of plot twists...

*muah*

I am typity type typing the next chapter.