Author Topic: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County (ARCHIVE)  (Read 538615 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Was: Laramie Tales: New Working Title: Tales of Greenlea County
« Reply #1580 on: February 01, 2007, 07:08:53 pm »

It's midnight, you know what that means!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/207825.html  "37.  The Incredible Edna"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline richardg49

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • 'Keep on trucking'
« Reply #1581 on: February 01, 2007, 08:04:34 pm »
SPOILER!!!

Am I beginning to detect another of those recurring motifs in your stories, Louise? :

“You don’t need ta know, Wes.”

“There’s a lot I don’t need ta know, Ellery,” Wes said.

Wes always seems to be telling Ellery not to tell him things. Is this good Sheriffing behaviour?   :)
I gave him what I hoped was that hopeful innocent puppy look that said “don’t you just want ta rub my tummy” rather than that hungry, ravenous wolf look that said “why don’t you just come out a that brick house so I can eat you up little pig?” LVH: 'What I did on my Day Off'

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1582 on: February 02, 2007, 12:33:18 pm »
you bet it is!  I am full of motives!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/208116.html  "38.  Running with Scissors"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #1583 on: February 02, 2007, 02:29:16 pm »
SPOILER

Oh, what a nice surprise - a lunchtime update! 

I'm not sure what to say, Louise.  How do you always manage to hit exactly the right note?  Wayne's letter was just so Wayne . . .  he hit all of Ellery's buttons with the references to drinking, and cancer, and being left alone . . . but, yet, it was completely sincere and completely honest. 

Love the chapter title, too - that really sums it up.

Thanks so much, Louise!

Marie

P.S.  Yay!  It looks like Jeremy will get his well-deserved raise!   :)
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline NavyVet

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Harm/Tony - My fav rare pair
« Reply #1584 on: February 02, 2007, 04:00:11 pm »
Hi all!
Just reporting in from The Villages, Florida.  I and my loved ones and my home are fine.  We had wicked supercell thunderstorms around 3 a.m. this morning, but the tornado's path hit a just a few miles south of my house.  Several hundred homes have been damaged in other neighborhoods throughout the Villages and Lady Lake areas.  One of our country clubs has been destroyed.
We made the national news.  What a mess!  Can't seem to stop watching the news coverage.
NavyVet
"Brokeback Mountain:  Where slash is canon!"

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #1585 on: February 02, 2007, 05:06:16 pm »

SPOILER

Oh Louise, i need a hanky! You've had me completely chocked up over this chapter. This thanksgiving diner will be interesting.

thank you for yet another moving chapter!  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1586 on: February 02, 2007, 05:39:19 pm »
Hi all!
Just reporting in from The Villages, Florida.  I and my loved ones and my home are fine.  We had wicked supercell thunderstorms around 3 a.m. this morning, but the tornado's path hit a just a few miles south of my house.  Several hundred homes have been damaged in other neighborhoods throughout the Villages and Lady Lake areas.  One of our country clubs has been destroyed.
We made the national news.  What a mess!  Can't seem to stop watching the news coverage.

Our thoughts with you, NV!

yb

« Reply #1587 on: February 02, 2007, 06:23:51 pm »
Louise

I am at a loss of words!  Just want to say thank you for this wonderful chapter! 

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1588 on: February 02, 2007, 07:40:33 pm »
Oh NV I am glad you are safe!  and I am glad I contributed in some small way to reducin your anxieties - I know how difficult it can be to feel threatened by the weather!!!

And thank you for the kind words, I am taking my time and due to circumstances of having to devote myself long and hard to worldly needs and obtaining work, I have to parcel out my concentration.  It is an exercise in *balance*

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #1589 on: February 02, 2007, 08:18:16 pm »
SPOILER

Just read Wayne's letter to Ellery. It has uncanny echoes to some comments made by one of Ennis' "fire and brimstone crowd" attending a catholic discussion group held in rural America on the subject of symbolism in BBM. After canvassing the significance of the mountain in terms of the miraculous and a reference to the Garden of Eden, one participant saw a parallel  between the barren desert in the Bible and the loneliness of the mountain, both symbolizing abandonment and asked the question: "Aren’t we all alone just like them and desperate to belong?”

http://www.mountvernonnews.com/local/06/03/04/brokeback.html
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great