Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 9249005 times)

Offline dejavu

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #9630 on: March 25, 2011, 03:06:16 pm »
Reposted from DCF LeBar because it addresses remarks made here, also.

I thought about it some more, and figured out that, aside from the Asian aspect not being cool now with what's going on in Japan, the reason that ring tone originally made me uncomfortable was that it seemed to objectify you, treat you as a trait, not a whole person.  

While it's true that everyone (who would be likely to hear it) knows you're gay, being gay is a trait or characteristic.  You are more than just "a gay."  I think the ring tone is somewhat like if somebody said, "Hey, black, answer your phone."  A black person is more than just "a black."  It seems a little like taunting.
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #9631 on: March 25, 2011, 03:56:02 pm »
Deb, I like the way you phrased that.

Chuck, very few people are as enlightened with the sense of humor you have.  If I were to hear that go off in a workplace, or even out in public, I would immediately start looking around me for Asian people who might have heard it as well, and then I'd duck under a table before the you-know-what hit the fan.  Just my opinion.
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Online CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #9632 on: March 27, 2011, 11:21:39 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

I hope that everyone is having a great weekend!

I didn't post here yesterday (much) but I did go on a walk through memory lane.  ;D

I was listening to my MP3 player and the song "Honey To A Bee" by Tina B. came on.  It was a song that Rich liked "back in the day", and it made me think of him.  That made me go back today, and go through my old posts, and see some of the laughs we've had in my blog, and Tru's blog, and in different threads.

It was fun, and made me smile yesterday.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Online CellarDweller

« Reply #9633 on: March 28, 2011, 08:00:21 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

I hope that everyone had a great weekend, and is relaxed and ready for Monday.   ;D

I slept really well last night, and feel very awake today.  ;D

Today's travel destination.

Piazza Del Campo - Tuscany - Italy

Climb the 505 steps of the 320-foot bell tower called the Torre del Mangia to see miles of idyllic Chianti countryside beyond Siena.  But the view is also good from any cafĂ© table looking out on il Campo, which is ringed with 13th & 14th-century palazzi and for centuries this hilltown's center stage.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline dejavu

« Reply #9634 on: March 28, 2011, 09:49:28 am »
Good morning, Chuck.

It's good to know that you were smiling yesterday...

And sleeping well last night.

Have a great day.   :)
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Online CellarDweller

« Reply #9635 on: March 29, 2011, 08:16:52 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

Found myself discussing old books last night, and one title that came up was VC Andrews, "Flowers In The Attic".

Has anyone else read this?

I remember the huge controversy about it when it was released, although I didn't read it at the time, I was only 10 when it was published.  By the time I got around to reading it, there were 5 related books published.  "Flowers In The Attic", "Petals In the Wind", "If There Be Thorns", "Seeds Of Yesterday" and a "prequal", "Garden of Shadows".

I never read the rest of the series, "Flowers" was enough, given the stuff that was in that book.  LOL

Today's travel destination.

Roatan, Honduras

One of the best places in the world to interact with dolphins is at the Roatan Institute for Marine Sciences in Hondura's Bay Islands.  Visitors can swim, snorkel, or dive with bottlenose dolphins in the open ocean or inside a protected lagoon.

Offline Mandy21

« Reply #9636 on: March 29, 2011, 11:49:45 am »
I read and own all of those books, Chuck.  There was also a movie made about "Flowers in the Attic".  Not quite sure why you'd be intrigued by them?
Dawn is coming,
Open your eyes...

Online CellarDweller

« Reply #9637 on: March 30, 2011, 08:47:10 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

Happy Hump day!!!  Weekend is closing in!

Today's Travel Destination

St. Ives, Cornwal, England

The almost Mediterranean quality of light in St. Ives, the most famous of the West Country's fishing villages, has long made it a favorite spot for painters.  Today its galleries and artisans' shops combine with its seaside setting to give it an air of both artists' colony and summer resort.

Online CellarDweller

« Reply #9638 on: March 30, 2011, 08:55:25 am »
I read and own all of those books, Chuck.  There was also a movie made about "Flowers in the Attic".  Not quite sure why you'd be intrigued by them?

It wasn't that I was "intrigued" by them, Mandy.  I read the first one after hearing the controversy surrounding it, and for its time, the storyline contained (IMO) some shocking things.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9639 on: March 30, 2011, 09:33:43 pm »
Hi Chuck.
I remember there being a controversy, but I didn't read the books-so never knew what it was. Maybe I'll get around to it some time. I don't read as much as I used to because of all my eye problems.

In the late 70's, I started reading John Saul books and I read those up until the early 90's. His first one, Suffer the Children was terrifying! All of the ones that I've read have mixed some reality with some paranormal/horror aspect. Good books if you like that kind of thing.  :)
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~