Author Topic: TOTW 11/07: How will moviegoers view BBM 30 years from now?  (Read 26770 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
TOTW 11/07: How will moviegoers view BBM 30 years from now?
« on: October 15, 2007, 09:03:53 am »
Howdy y'all  :D

After we skipped last week due to my vacation, we're back with a brand-new TOTW. I'm happy to announce it has been suggested by a BetterMostian (*hint, hint* --> it makes your moderators happy to get you involved in suggesting topics, so don't be shy  :)).

How will moviegoers view BBM 30 years from now?

Many social commentary movies seem rather dated as time goes by. How will it be for BBM? Will it still be praised and appreciated as the cinematic masterpiece it is? Or will it seem just as dated as some older movies do now? Will people smile and shake their heads in disbelief when they're told this movie was regarded as groundbreaking and controversial? What do you think?

In 30 years it will be the year 2037.  Oh.  :o
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 10:44:53 am by Penthesilea »

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
Re: TOTW 11/07: How will moviegoers view BBM 30 years from now?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 10:38:34 am »
I think and hope that BBM is perceived as a classic romantic tragedy... a modern-day Romeo and Juliet type drama, but of course with gay protagonists.

And, 30 years from now I truly believe that major motionpictures that feature gay main characters will be much less of a rarity and BBM will probably continue to be seen as a groundbreaking film in helping to establish this trend.

8)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Scott6373

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 11:14:26 am »
Honestly?  I think that our collective reaction to BBM is a direct result of the societal pressure that we face now.  The intense emotional reaction is based on the climate of oppression that GLBT folk currently live under.  If that remains unchanged in 30 years (God I hope not), then I assume the reaction will be much the same.  If society progresses more toward inclusion, then the film may be viewed as a somewhat soapy melodrama.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 12:02:26 pm »
If society progresses more toward inclusion, then the film may be viewed as a somewhat soapy melodrama.

Yeah, like that's gonna happen in thirty years.  :(  :-\

I was just thinking earlier this morning that what I expect will happen, in what time frame I don't know, is that homophobia will become like racism. It will go underground in mainstream society. It will never go away or be eliminated, but eventually overt homophobia will become socially unacceptable. I doubt this will happen in my life time.

But to answer the question: I think critics and historians will continue to view BBM as the groundbreaking film that it is.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2007, 01:27:09 pm by Jeff Wrangler »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 01:05:17 pm »

But to answer the question: I think critics and historians will continue to view BBM at the groundbreaking film that it is.

Yes, I think will definitely be the case regardless of what happens politically and socially in the real world.  I really do think it will continue to stand up to many/most of the classic tragic romances in cinematic history.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 01:27:56 pm »
I think critics and historians will continue to view BBM at the groundbreaking film that it is.
I have to agree. It think this will be looked back upon as one of the greates films of our time ecspecially in the gay community.
I think it will be like Gone With the Wind or To Kill  Mockingbird. People will watch it and find it hard to believe that people actually had to live under those condidions.
I'll be 70 and I will always remember the film as a catalyst for change in my life.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2007, 01:29:02 pm »

Yes, I think will definitely be the case regardless of what happens politically and socially in the real world.  I really do think it will continue to stand up to many/most of the classic tragic romances in cinematic history.

I agree, Amanda. A tragedy it is, a "somewhat soapy melodrama" it isn't.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Scott6373

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 01:32:08 pm »
I agree, Amanda. A tragedy it is, a "somewhat soapy melodrama" it isn't.

Isn't a wealth of opinions a great treasure to have?

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 01:36:54 pm »
Isn't a wealth of opinions a great treasure to have?
Yep, I think there'd be a whole lot less posts if everyone had the same opinion! LOL
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2007, 01:48:19 pm »
Well, there are (at least) two aspects to a technical/general definition of a melodrama.  One is that emotions are exaggerated in the acting style and the second is that the emotional tone of the film is driven by music (or the music/score is fundamental to influencing the emotional impact of the film).

I truly don't think that BBM falls into the first part of the definition.  In fact, I think the emotional aspects of the different characters are usually very understated.

But as far as having the music play a fundamental role in the emotional direction of the film, I think that's pretty accurate in the case of BBM.

Melodrama isn't necessarily a put-down or a negative thing. There are lots of great, classic melodramas.  But, it does has some pretty specific aspects as a genre.

In general, I think BBM is much too subtle to really fall into the definition of melodrama.