Author Topic: TOTW 26/08: Symbolism of food in the movie  (Read 11350 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
TOTW 26/08: Symbolism of food in the movie
« on: September 29, 2008, 10:30:54 am »

Edit to add: I'll be on vacation next week, so the next TOTW will be in two weeks

Hi BetterMostians,

dipping my toes into another symbolism topic this week.

In some scenes, various kinds of food plays a prominent role in the movie. The fact that Ennis orders soup for Jack is a clear and early sign of Ennis's affection towards Jack.

Then the „shoot a sheep vs. stick to beans“ discussion, which is symbolic for their relationship and their different approaches to life.

Later Ennis shows a poignant nostalgia when he brings beans to one of their fishing trips, saying he's gonna fix them just the way he used to.

Ennis uses food to please Jack at least three times: when he orders soup  from the Basque, when he shoots an elk because Jack doesn't want to stick to beans and in the above mentioned scene.
He is nurturing Jack. In contrast, he expects Alma to do the nurturing in their marriage („Bring some round steak“, „Nodody 's eating unless you're serving it“).

But beyond those more obvious examples, there are other important scenes with food involved. Come to think of it, there's pretty much food throughout the whole movie, which brings me to the question, if there is one big, overall symbolic meaning to all food mentioned/shown? Perhaps the nurturing aspect as a manifestation of the relationships between the various characters in the movie.

We've also previously talked about the (wonder) bread and it's different stages of being wrapped/unwrapped as a symbol for Ennis secret/not any longer secret sexuality.

Some more examples of food prominently involved into scenes:
  • food is scattered twice: after Ennis encounters the bear and when Alma Jr. smashes the peanut jars
  • both Thanksgiving scenes
  • Alma feeding Alma Jr. while Ennis is waiting for Jack („One more bite“ - „That was a good bite, you're excused.“)
  • Jack putting corn into a pot while waiting for Ennis (same scene when Ennis brings the beans)
  • all the glasses with baby food when Alma does the laundry at the lonesome ole ranch
  • Alma cooking when Ennis gets the first postcard from Jack (and Alma Jr. imitating her)
  • the elk: shooting of the elk, later we see them munching and see the meat on a rack
  • Jack peeling potatoes when Ennis is washing everything he can reach
  • the fish Ennis never brought home

Any ideas on the mentioned scenes (or others)? What comes to your mind thinking BBM and food?

« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 02:20:13 pm by Penthesilea »

Offline chowhound

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
Re: TOTW 26/08: Symbolism of food in the movie
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 03:40:58 pm »
Food, of course, is often accompanied by drink and one contrast between the two Thanksgiving scenes is not in food - turkey in both cases, even if the turkey is carved by different instruments in the two households - but in what is drunk. It is no doubt one of the indicators of Jack's increasing wealth that his Thanksgiving dinner is accompanied by white wine served in elegant crystal whereas at the  Monroe household it's milk for all served out of sturdy glass tumblers.

White wine, of course, does reappear at the very end  when Ennis finds a bottle in the fridge to propose a toast to his daughter's upcoming marriage but I'm not sure there's much of a connection here but maybe somebody can forge one.

However, you probably want people to focus on food rather than drink, so I'll leave it there.

One brief note on food and money before I do. "Round" is one of the cheaper cuts of beef and, as it's quite tough, is better cooked as a stew rather than a steak. That Ennis specifies "round" signals to me that this is a family that has to look after every penny.

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 09:49:02 pm »
I think you are right in that the use of the food was in some ways showing the nurturing.

In the same way as with all the food scenes on Brokeback.....it seems to show how the boys quite comfortably "set up house" together. How they just took it in their stride to cook and feed each other.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 10:16:05 pm »
Yes, I also agree that food = nurturing and comfort.  Now that I think of it, the only time we see Jack and Ennis truly enjoying food or having a real appetite is when they're together.   Even at their respective Thanksgiving dinners (traditionally a day centered around eating a huge meal) we don't really see them eating or taking any pleasure from the food before them.  But at other times, we do see Ennis listlessly pushing applie pie around his plate and, of course, politely declining Mrs. Twist's offer of the cherry cake.   :'(

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 10:24:16 pm »
That is a good point, marie. And it makes sense. On a primal level, don't we look to our mate to replace that wonderful perfect union of mother and child that is the first one we ever knew?

Here's Jack and Ennis round the campfire.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 10:26:52 pm »
I think you are right in that the use of the food was in some ways showing the nurturing.

In the same way as with all the food scenes on Brokeback.....it seems to show how the boys quite comfortably "set up house" together. How they just took it in their stride to cook and feed each other.
Sue. you are so right. First Ennis, and then Jack served as the camp "tender", applying tender loving care to the hardworking herder. How wonderful it was for them to play house up on Brokeback!!

Offline Gabreya

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 12:15:09 am »
Yummy. :)

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 10:52:18 am »
I think food is used as an analogy to compare the differents relationships. Food between Jack and Ennis is seen as a relaxed and even loving thing.Ennis ordering soup, even adding salt and pepper to the food he is cooking.He takes such care of everything he prepares for Jack. down to the tiniest details, eg the salt and pepper.
In contrast mealtimes wth their respective families are seen as stressful and fraught. It is I thnk, a unversal fact, that when we love someone, we go to great lengths to provide the best meals we can.It is a caring action and also in many cases a time consuming one.We tackle it however with no thought to that element, only to the joy we are going to bring to our partner.Taste is such a sensual thing.How many of us associate a particular meal with a time of great joy and love? It can be a gastronomic feast or as in my case a simple baguette and pate.Fod for me is inexricably linked with love.

At no time that I can recall in the film do either Jack or Ennis even help with food preparation, never mind cook a meal, with their families.As with all things in the S.S and the film, the devil is in the detail.

In the S.S Ennis dreams of a "can of beans with the spoon handle jutting out".At first we see these dreams as solace for Ennis, but are then thrown for a loop when told" the spoon handle was the kind that could be used as a tire iron."

It seems to me that the only true and unfettered by societies dictates times for the boys, are up on BBM. Simple meals lovingly prepared by the campfire.Washed down with a drink or two, and accompanied by chat, laughter and song. The true inner peace and contentment of these time is almost tangible.Yet of course for us the viewer, we know that even these glorious days of loves first young bloom are being slowly frozen, and starting to wilt, under the unseen watching eye of Aguirre.

Offline Gabreya

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2008, 11:17:54 pm »
I think food is used as an analogy to compare the differents relationships. Food between Jack and Ennis is seen as a relaxed and even loving thing.Ennis ordering soup, even adding salt and pepper to the food he is cooking.He takes such care of everything he prepares for Jack. down to the tiniest details, eg the salt and pepper.
In contrast mealtimes wth their respective families are seen as stressful and fraught. It is I thnk, a unversal fact, that when we love someone, we go to great lengths to provide the best meals we can.It is a caring action and also in many cases a time consuming one.We tackle it however with no thought to that element, only to the joy we are going to bring to our partner.Taste is such a sensual thing.How many of us associate a particular meal with a time of great joy and love? It can be a gastronomic feast or as in my case a simple baguette and pate.Fod for me is inexricably linked with love.

At no time that I can recall in the film do either Jack or Ennis even help with food preparation, never mind cook a meal, with their families.As with all things in the S.S and the film, the devil is in the detail.

In the S.S Ennis dreams of a "can of beans with the spoon handle jutting out".At first we see these dreams as solace for Ennis, but are then thrown for a loop when told" the spoon handle was the kind that could be used as a tire iron."

It seems to me that the only true and unfettered by societies dictates times for the boys, are up on BBM. Simple meals lovingly prepared by the campfire.Washed down with a drink or two, and accompanied by chat, laughter and song. The true inner peace and contentment of these time is almost tangible.Yet of course for us the viewer, we know that even these glorious days of loves first young bloom are being slowly frozen, and starting to wilt, under the unseen watching eye of Aguirre.

Ain't that the truth, optom. You summed it up nicely! Food between the two main characters appears very relaxed and sharing when it comes to the growing affection between them. :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 09:32:02 am »
I agree with all you say, Fiona and Gab. However, I need to point out that both Jack and Ennis pitched in on food preparation. As Lureen poured the gravy over the turkey, Jack brought the tray in to the table and prepared to carve before L.D. took the knife away from him. Jack also knew that his wife spent three hours preparing the dinner.

Although late in the movie, Ennis helped by bringing in plates from the table. I always thought it was funny that he helped out while the rest of the family watched tv and smoked a cigar!!