Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3184499 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #5910 on: October 28, 2006, 01:35:58 pm »
Update to "The Red Stallion"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/141448.html  "Chapter 62:  Morning with Edna"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline NavyVet

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Harm/Tony - My fav rare pair
« Reply #5911 on: October 28, 2006, 02:14:23 pm »
Howdy, y'all!

I have a bit to share.  Since we all love Ellery, and therefore Hugh Jackman, I came across this adorable song parody that was posted on a Fanfic list.  It's part of a Studio 60 story titled 'Rupture' by Anne Marsh.  I have her permission to post it here.  Enjoy:

"I may not always love you,
But long as there's a sky above you,
I'd tunnel underground you,
Just so I could be around you,
I just don't know what I'd do without Hugh."

"I've never seen Australia,
About her sights I can't regale ya,
But one thing you can be sure of,
Hugh Jackman's what I want more of,
And I just don't know what I'd do without Hugh."

"If you perchance should leave me,
And if the courts do not believe me,
And there's a restraining order,
I'll camp out on your border,
'Cause I just don't know what I'd do without Hugh."

NavyVet
"Brokeback Mountain:  Where slash is canon!"

Offline katecaton

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #5912 on: October 28, 2006, 02:14:49 pm »
Hi All, have been away for a few days and finally caught up. Sad to see poor E & E getting this kind of treatment, but as always their friends have rallied. Lovely updates as always Louise, thanks :-*

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5913 on: October 28, 2006, 02:25:17 pm »
In an interview a couple of days ago in Hugh's press junket for "The Prestige" he said his favorite song he could use as a theme is Whitney Houston's song "I'll always love you" because if you listen closely, she sings "I'll always love HUGH," and pointed to himself.  It was tremendously cute!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5914 on: October 28, 2006, 06:57:55 pm »
I am making this as official as I can get now that I am at chapter 62:

I will be going to 100 chapters in this book, taking my time and not cutting it off.  So those of you who are getting nervous because the other books went to 84 or 86, don't get nervous till we hit chapter 99.

yb

« Reply #5915 on: October 28, 2006, 07:40:45 pm »
I am making this as official as I can get now that I am at chapter 62:

I will be going to 100 chapters in this book, taking my time and not cutting it off.  So those of you who are getting nervous because the other books went to 84 or 86, don't get nervous till we hit chapter 99.

Yay, that's great news.  I'll have at least 15 more chapters than usual before going into panic mode.  Thanks, Louise.

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5916 on: October 28, 2006, 07:44:45 pm »
Yay!     <DOES HAPPY DANCE>     :D

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
« Reply #5917 on: October 28, 2006, 09:38:52 pm »

If that's the result in RL, staying in the wilderness and in grief only, it might at least partially explain some of the hostility to stories like LS.  In other words, Ennis spending the next decade, or two, three, four decades, in a blighted life might be seen as a validation: "see, this iconic character can't move beyond loss, despair and psychic imprisonment; I can't either." And this is very understandable, but something being understandable doesn't automatically give it any positive power.  And in the case of Ennis as a character, his father triumphing over Jack certainly does not honor the relationship.  "Ennis and Jack forever" is certainly valid as far as the love enduring is concerned; "Ennis and Jack forever with Ennis remaining alone and in despair" does not.

Marge - I think you are on to something here. It is very likely that our various responses to this story and the spin-off fan fiction often emerge from our personal projections on to the characters as well as our personal life views. This is why I think the film, the story and the fiction surrounding it it have such psychological power and are so potent as an agent for change (or not!) providing as it does a mirror to our inner selves. Your insight also accounts for the tremendous emotional hostility as well as partisanship which is evident in this fandom: it gets personal because we are on existential ground - and you can't get much more personal than that!

A local bookshop has this quote from W.H. Auden in the window. "A real book is not one that we read, but one that reads us." I think this statement can be applied not only to AP's story but to the film. "A real film is not one that we see but one that sees us!"
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 09:52:27 pm by magicmountain »
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5918 on: October 29, 2006, 06:56:48 am »
100 chapters - whoop!  ;D

SPOILER

I loved the interation betwen Edna and the boys. They are so lucky to have such a loving mother figure in their lives, especially as they both lost their mothers at an early age. I really liked the frank discussion that they had about homosexuality.

As for the book the're running down at the bar - I'll say it again - those boys  ::) Is Ellery going to be mad at Lauren for his lack of discretion?

Ennis will feel much better once he's got the house painted. Am curious to see who was behind the vandalism.

Oh, and I may be onto the wrong track here but when the ADA said to Wes that he didn't need to be concerned about her having a negative attititude to Elery's sexual orientation was this a hint about her own? Just another wild supposition of mine.

Karen
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 06:59:19 am by Kazza »

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5919 on: October 29, 2006, 07:12:16 am »
well what an interesting idea, Karen!  What would I do without the interesting ideas of all the readers?

I think by now Ellery has figured out Lauren has his own problems with "letting things slip..." !!!