Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3172746 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #9290 on: May 02, 2007, 09:10:24 pm »
Yes, ranchgal, the GED really stood out for me, too, and I agree with your observations.  It also raises many questions for me.  Colson remembers being kicked out of high school - so that explains why he needed a GED - but when did he get kicked out?  And why?  When did he decide to get his GED - and more importantly - why?  Did he have ambitions beyond "horse wrangler" - a specific job or career that required a high school diploma or the equivalent? Did he ever consider going to college?  We know he was married - did he study for and get the GED before he was married, during his marriage?  What was his ex-wife's role in it, if any? For me, Colson's GED is fraught with possibilities for an interesting backstory that affects who he is.

The fact that he was kicked out of high school also made me more aware of some other inner thoughts.  Colson seems to have violent tendencies - was that the reason for his expulsion? While looking at Pete's injuries, he thinks back on Adam's bruises from "rough bouts" when he was "pissed off" - which made me believe that there was more to this than a one-time punch.

Colson also tells Pete that he is 15 years too young for him (I can't remember whether this is a new thought on his part or not - I'm doing this from memory as I don't have the original) - why the specific cut-off point? Does Colson have a specific age in mind for someone new - has he been thinking, even subconcsiously, of the possibility of finding someone new?  That ties into the fact that Colson seems to take stock of his looks in mirror while wondering if he would be attractive to men. 

While baffled by the "queer world" he observes in the bar - Colson doesn't strike me as completely naive.  He figures out on his own why Bill didn't want Gene near Pete instead of having to have Bill spell it out for him.  And when Ellery smiles at the elderly woman who overheard Pete and Wilson's fight - Colson sees through it - even thinks that it appears so genuine - but is in fact insincere.

Colson seems very concerned that Ellery remembers that he said he was from Arapahoe - is he just concerned because he's worried about being dishonest or is there something more?  Colson has some thoughts about feeling the trap and having the "urge to bolt" - has he had this feeling before?  I don't think he has a criminal record - but maybe some bad experience with the law? 

I also found his reaction to Pete's question about Adam "running off" interesting - what exactly did happen to Adam?  Who was he?  Why doesn't he have a grave?  And why did he have an obituary - not everyone gets an obituary written about them when they die.  And speaking of that - why did he learn about his death in that way?  So much to look forward to finding out.

Oh, and one more thing - not an inner thought of Colson's - but I noticed that Bill said the bar was still on the "down low" and I don't remember him making that point before. Make me wonder if there is some significance to it that would have more of an effect on Ellery's life. 

Well, I've rambled long enought.  Gotta run . . . I have some favorite moments to think about!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9291 on: May 03, 2007, 06:04:20 am »
Marie and Ranchgal...great thoughts! Thanks for ruminating out loud.

While Louise is traveling there won't be any updates. She had hoped to get one or two chapters done before she left but time ran out. However, once she arrives chez nous and has a chance to get over her jet lag, you can be sure that I will be putting Taking Chances as number one on the to do list. LOL

Happy one year anniversary, everybody!

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #9292 on: May 03, 2007, 12:46:48 pm »
.  .  . you can be sure that I will be putting Taking Chances as number one on the to do list. LOL  .  . . 

I love when someone so clearly has their priorities in the right order!  LOL!

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!  and a million thanks for the million beautiful, profound, funny and soul-healing words. 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #9293 on: May 03, 2007, 01:15:46 pm »
I thought I would take a quick peek through this thread last night . . but, of course, I got sucked right in . . . here's a few milestone gems that are worth repeating:

Why won’t I hold Ellery’s hand in public?” His chest thundered with the sound of his racing heart, and he forced his eyes open, reached out his hand, and slid it over to where Ellery’s left hand lay passive on his knee, grasping it tightly. Ellery looked up, surprised, and returned the grip, holding on, and then gave Colson a warm smile, a smile that lighted his smoky eyes to bright silver.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“One glass?”

“We’re celebratin,” Colson said.

“What are we celebratin?”

“You an me, boy, Colson and Ellery.” He lighted the cigar, puffed on it, and leaned over, offering it to Ellery, who took it between his lips. Then he poured a shot of scotch and lifted it. “To us. You belongin ta me, an me belongin ta you.” He took a sip, and handed it to Ellery, who took a sip from it as he handed the cigar back.

“To me belongin ta you, an you belongin ta me,” he repeated, gulping down the fiery liquid, handing the cigar back to Colson who took a puff on it.   

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ellery put the palm of his hand on Colson's sweaty chest. “I ain’t never felt like this about anyone, sweetheart. I want... I want us ta be together like this, like partners. Like... a real married couple.”

“Yeah, ya mentioned....” Colson replied, the color on his face deepening.

“What a you think about that?”

“I think.... I think I want it too.”

“I love you, Colson, I love ya like life itself.” Ellery’s grey eyes swam with tears. Colson leaned in and pressed his lips against his.

“I love ya too darlin. Like life itself.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"We did it!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ahhh..... again

Marie

Offline opinionista

« Reply #9294 on: May 03, 2007, 01:19:41 pm »

Happy Anniversary Everybody!  :D
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9295 on: May 03, 2007, 01:22:17 pm »
Oh, Natali, thanks...I love that picture. And Marie, thanks for those great quotes!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #9296 on: May 03, 2007, 01:37:27 pm »
Here are two of my fave Ellery pics..

Happy Anniversary folks!
And thank you, Louise for the fantastic, very enjoyable, million-word long ride!  :-*

I know Louise likes this one ..;-)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9297 on: May 03, 2007, 01:50:19 pm »
Thanks, Milli...

Those are definitely some of my favorites, too!

I went digging in the archive and found

and

Remember these?

and

and of course....

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #9298 on: May 03, 2007, 01:53:15 pm »
This is for Marie, because she might have missed it the first time around. When we were all in the feverish throes of extreme Ellery-fever, I went out to lunch. I saw a guy from the back who looked like Ellery (when he turned around, I was sorely disappointed). I had a new camera phone which I barely knew how to use (still don't) but somehow or another, I managed to take a surreptitious picture of the back of this guys head. Here it is....LOL

In case anyone is wondering, this picture was taken at Flatbread in Portland, Maine. Fabulous food, definitely worth a visit!

L

Offline ranchgal

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #9299 on: May 03, 2007, 05:36:25 pm »
Yes, ranchgal, the GED really stood out for me, too, and I agree with your observations.  It also raises many questions for me.  Colson remembers being kicked out of high school - so that explains why he needed a GED - but when did he get kicked out?  And why?  When did he decide to get his GED - and more importantly - why?  Did he have ambitions beyond "horse wrangler" - a specific job or career that required a high school diploma or the equivalent? Did he ever consider going to college?  We know he was married - did he study for and get the GED before he was married, during his marriage?  What was his ex-wife's role in it, if any? For me, Colson's GED is fraught with possibilities for an interesting backstory that affects who he is.

The fact that he was kicked out of high school also made me more aware of some other inner thoughts.  Colson seems to have violent tendencies - was that the reason for his expulsion? While looking at Pete's injuries, he thinks back on Adam's bruises from "rough bouts" when he was "pissed off" - which made me believe that there was more to this than a one-time punch. 

My thoughts are my own, and you can take them or discard them as you wish, and Louise may well have a completely different explanation when she gets back, but no where did I read that he got "kicked out" of high school---getting his GED simply means he never graduated---and in rural America--quitting, simply not going back, usually because of finances or flunking are the most common reasons for no graduation---my bet is simply he couldn't afford to get to school---if they lived outside of town, and any thing happened to the truck---he simply could not get there any more, so hence his education was done!  Working becomes more important, have to have money for meals and getting the vehicle fixed--only by the time you have worked for that much money, you lose the desire to go back into the classroom, so you just don't go.   
College, very unlikely--one has to have money or some adult support for that stuff--and Colson didn't/doesn't have it--if your family ranched, you grew up with it, and you are good with horses, and most of the people you know are cowboys---you become a cowboy when you are old enough to sit a saddle and judge the situation---I doubt very much Colson ever thought of being anything beyond a ranch hand.     In my own head, I tend to think he got the GED after he was married, and before the kids were too old.  He simply wouldn't have thought about it earlier, unless one of his bosses insisted on it, and it wouldn't have bothered him until his kids were about to go.  but there again, my own thoughts, Louise may have a different take on it entirely.

I also doubt that he and Adam really fought much beyond that one punch-tempers naturally flare during physical bouts, and pissed off or not, I think it was a lot more wrestling than punching between them--I think the bruises are from rough and tumble sex(conquest), and wrestling that they did out on the trail---natural testosterone at work--Cowboys are physical---have to be, comes with the territory, part of the situation and the Western mindset.    He may have a temper, but I doubt he did much hitting on anyone he cared about, or in any situation that could land him trouble, simply because it costs too much to get out of it.  Common horse sense dictates, when you fight and when you walk away, and Colson has quite a bit of horse sense.

Colson also tells Pete that he is 15 years too young for him (I can't remember whether this is a new thought on his part or not - I'm doing this from memory as I don't have the original) - why the specific cut-off point? Does Colson have a specific age in mind for someone new - has he been thinking, even subconcsiously, of the possibility of finding someone new?  That ties into the fact that Colson seems to take stock of his looks in mirror while wondering if he would be attractive to men. 

While baffled by the "queer world" he observes in the bar - Colson doesn't strike me as completely naive.  He figures out on his own why Bill didn't want Gene near Pete instead of having to have Bill spell it out for him.  And when Ellery smiles at the elderly woman who overheard Pete and Wilson's fight - Colson sees through it - even thinks that it appears so genuine - but is in fact insincere.

Colson is a man---he is mature enough to have grown daughters, why would he have any attraction to a kid their age??   He isn't interested in Pete, because Pete has nothing in common with him--Pete is stupid kid, with no common sense, and nothing of value for Colson---Colson is looking for a man--who has similar values/maturity levels to his own---aren't we all???  I don't think it is an age thing as much as a mindset thing---you enjoy company of people who have similar values to your own---and that is what Colson is researching, in my opinion--if there are any other queer men who are like himself, and NOT like wierd little boys who like sex like Pete.   I also think it is obvious that Colson is coming around to the possibility of being with someone else---he has too, otherwise he would never have been able to set foot inside the bar.  He just simply isn't going to be with someone just because they are queer--they have to be a man similar to Colson himself.    And I don't think Colson is naive--he has been married, had babies, his girls went to public schools, he is divorced---he has been in bars before---you just have to realize how isolated some rural areas are--he isn't ignorant of people, just inexperienced about his own situation and how it relates to others of the same persuation.

Colson seems very concerned that Ellery remembers that he said he was from Arapahoe - is he just concerned because he's worried about being dishonest or is there something more?  Colson has some thoughts about feeling the trap and having the "urge to bolt" - has he had this feeling before?  I don't think he has a criminal record - but maybe some bad experience with the law? 

When you are in a strange town, among strange people, esp. strange law enforcement officers--you are uncomfortable.   Lots of small towns meet the quota of fines by picking on strangers coming out bars--and authority figures are never something to take lightly.   He is merely uncomfortable-because he has been a long way from the road for a long time.   Plus the fact that he is very hesitant about doing what he really went there to do, add that into the mix and then have the Law be gay too---which is something he has never imagined--and he is somewhat nervous---sort of like a feral animal that comes into the farmstead and finds itself surrounded --the whole thing seems like you are trapped in too small of a space with too many others knowing your business.  Natural reaction.  and urge to bolt, is an easy quick way to remove yourself from the situation.   Colson is a cowboy, and on Saturday night the foolish ones, end up sleeping it off in jail---that is what he knows about law enforcement.

I also found his reaction to Pete's question about Adam "running off" interesting - what exactly did happen to Adam?  Who was he?  Why doesn't he have a grave?  And why did he have an obituary - not everyone gets an obituary written about them when they die.  And speaking of that - why did he learn about his death in that way?  So much to look forward to finding out.

Oh, and one more thing - not an inner thought of Colson's - but I noticed that Bill said the bar was still on the "down low" and I don't remember him making that point before. Make me wonder if there is some significance to it that would have more of an effect on Ellery's life. 

Well, I've rambled long enought.  Gotta run . . . I have some favorite moments to think about!

Marie
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 07:52:01 pm by MaineWriter »