Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3165721 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #5540 on: October 14, 2006, 07:30:27 pm »
now David, it's this kind of denial that just... is not helping.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
« Reply #5541 on: October 14, 2006, 07:56:10 pm »
Slightly OT but for those who might want a laugh...

There have been a couple of funny replies to my can opener comment (magicmountain, most recently)...

Everytime I read this I think of the "I am good with a canoe" line which I realize, none of you will know what I am talking about. However, in my opinion, one of the funniest threads on this board is over on Chez Tremblay and it is called the Malaysian Subtitles Thread. Everytime I look at it, I crack up...and if you read it, then you WILL know what the canoe line means...and a whole bunch more (Ennis Balmore? Huh?)

Here's the link...

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?topic=478.75

and now I'll go bury Jack in his family plant...

L

Thanks for that Leslie. This thread is hilarious. I am inspired to explore further afield for other hidden gems on this board.
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #5542 on: October 15, 2006, 03:47:20 am »
**SPOILERS**

Louise those last two chapters about the dinner from hell were just fantastic.  Talk about an awkward atmosphere!!!  I cant believe that there was not one but two stupid old women at the dinner table!  I know Bunny is embarrassing with her hots for Ennis and then having a go at him for not realising she was in love with him? What?!!! She is just sexually frustrated and needs a good seeing too. lol  But its Julia that got up my nose, not once but twice spouting complete clap trap out of her filthy mouth.  And she's rude - doing that after Wes and Edna specifically asked her not to. 

I just love Ellery though - being as polite and nice as possible through it all, when he probably wanted to pour the coffee in her face!!! lol

Mornin all. Your right there Christie. She does need a good seeing too lol, with that plastic friend. ;) Silly dried up old bag. And Julia, if I,d been Edna I,d have slapped her silly face for daring to be so rude. Ignorant old sow she is. Thing is, when Bunny shook Ennis,s hand, and Ellery saw him shiver, it was obvious she made his skin crawl, so any romantic ideas are all in her silly dried up head. I can see Ellery having sharp words with Mel about this now. Do all women act like this when they get to a "certain" age? I mean is this what we,ve got to look forward to Christie? Jeez. I think I,l go to the vet and be put down now lol. ::) ::)

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #5543 on: October 15, 2006, 03:49:28 am »
I just love all those Brit expressions you ladies use:

"Got all up my nose..."  "a good seeing to!"

I might have to do a British fan fiction one of these days and use all these quaint expressions!

Hahaha ok Christie, help me think up some of our quaint expressions for Louise lol. I bet you,ve got a choice few, as your a scouser lol. ;) ;) Cripes and I,m an Essex gal, what a combination lol. ;) ;)

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #5544 on: October 15, 2006, 04:20:16 am »
Mornin all. Your right there Christie. She does need a good seeing too lol, with that plastic friend. ;) Silly dried up old bag. And Julia, if I,d been Edna I,d have slapped her silly face for daring to be so rude. Ignorant old sow she is. Thing is, when Bunny shook Ennis,s hand, and Ellery saw him shiver, it was obvious she made his skin crawl, so any romantic ideas are all in her silly dried up head. I can see Ellery having sharp words with Mel about this now. Do all women act like this when they get to a "certain" age? I mean is this what we,ve got to look forward to Christie? Jeez. I think I,l go to the vet and be put down now lol. ::) ::)

Well Souxi, according to participants in the Grumpy Old Women TV series here are just some of the delights in store when you reach a “certain age”.
•   Your bra size is practically a telephone number and you now shop in the underwear department from hell.
•   You say to people, ‘That shows my age,’ and they no longer contradict you.
•   Little bits of you face start to sag and give you that really grumpy look often seen on the sort of
                women who push their way in at jumble sales and get all the bargains.
•   You are plucking your facial hair on an hourly basis.
•   You complain a lot.
•   You start to enjoy pottering.
•   You develop a double chin.
•   You start collecting used margarine tubs and used plastic bags.
•   Young men are afraid to be left alone with you lest you pounce (Men of any age I fear!)
•    If you wore a thong, you might look like a Sumo wrestler.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 04:22:42 am by magicmountain »
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #5545 on: October 15, 2006, 04:36:15 am »
Well Souxi, according to participants in the Grumpy Old Women TV series here are just some of the delights in store when you reach a “certain age”.
•   Your bra size is practically a telephone number and you now shop in the underwear department from hell.
•   You say to people, ‘That shows my age,’ and they no longer contradict you.
•   Little bits of you face start to sag and give you that really grumpy look often seen on the sort of
                women who push their way in at jumble sales and get all the bargains.
•   You are plucking your facial hair on an hourly basis.
•   You complain a lot.
•   You start to enjoy pottering.
•   You develop a double chin.
•   You start collecting used margarine tubs and used plastic bags.
•   Young men are afraid to be left alone with you lest you pounce (Men of any age I fear!)
•    If you wore a thong, you might look like a Sumo wrestler.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thats brilliant MM lol. OMG I hope I hope I dont end up like that lol. Sounds like a good series, bit like a female version of our Victor Meldrew(one foot in the grave). Can you get the series on dvd? I,d like to see that, sounds funny lol. Bra size like a phone number:  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Love it lol.

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #5546 on: October 15, 2006, 04:54:13 am »
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Thats brilliant MM lol. OMG I hope I hope I dont end up like that lol. Sounds like a good series, bit like a female version of our Victor Meldrew(one foot in the grave). Can you get the series on dvd? I,d like to see that, sounds funny lol. Bra size like a phone number:  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Love it lol.

Here's the link to the BBc shop for DVD.

http://www.bbcshop.com/icat/grumpyoldmenwomen?bklist=icat,5,,2,526,grumpyoldmenwomen&

Offline Kazza

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5547 on: October 15, 2006, 06:05:25 am »
Hello. After a particulaly hectic weekend I'm catching up on my reading. Wow - what a dinner party. I can't believe that some people would be so rude as to voice their prejudices so openly. Old bags!!!!

As for Bunny - she is a silly auld biddy, but, oh I dunno I feel a tiny bit sorry for her. Bodily throwing herself at Ennis isn't the cure though. Unrequited love (or even lust) is horrible. Her reaction was appalling mind you. Never use the 'F' word.

On a personally distressing note, I appear to have lost my memory stick, which had all my fave fics on it. All those back chapters of LS just gone  :(

My own fault, slighty inebriated after a work's party on Friday, dropped my bag on the way home, must have fallen out then. I think I would have peferred to lose my wallet (isn't that the sign of a mind unhinged by a fan fiction addiction).

Of course, the boys getting home from the dinner party might give me something to look forward to  ;)

Karen

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #5548 on: October 15, 2006, 07:12:01 am »
Hello. After a particulaly hectic weekend I'm catching up on my reading. Wow - what a dinner party. I can't believe that some people would be so rude as to voice their prejudices so openly. Old bags!!!!

As for Bunny - she is a silly auld biddy, but, oh I dunno I feel a tiny bit sorry for her. Bodily throwing herself at Ennis isn't the cure though. Unrequited love (or even lust) is horrible. Her reaction was appalling mind you. Never use the 'F' word.

On a personally distressing note, I appear to have lost my memory stick, which had all my fave fics on it. All those back chapters of LS just gone  :(

My own fault, slighty inebriated after a work's party on Friday, dropped my bag on the way home, must have fallen out then. I think I would have peferred to lose my wallet (isn't that the sign of a mind unhinged by a fan fiction addiction).

Of course, the boys getting home from the dinner party might give me something to look forward to  ;)

Karen

Oh Karen, that's so awful about your memory stick :(

Heh heh, yep, looking forward to some TLC between the two of them  ;)  :D

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #5549 on: October 15, 2006, 07:14:15 am »
Hahaha ok Christie, help me think up some of our quaint expressions for Louise lol. I bet you,ve got a choice few, as your a scouser lol. ;) ;) Cripes and I,m an Essex gal, what a combination lol. ;) ;)

How about ' geezer'  (for a guy) 

'crumpet' -  sexually attractive person

'bird' -  attractive female, can be taken as offensive

'cor blimey' - said in surprise

All of these expressions are English slang, not exactly something Jeeves would say  :D
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 07:29:03 am by Bigheart »