Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3166667 times)

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #8390 on: December 04, 2006, 02:29:50 pm »
We can't allow this thread to die down. So here's some Hughdity goodness!  ;D

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline opinionista

« Reply #8391 on: December 04, 2006, 02:35:33 pm »
And some Heath goodness  8)

Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline ranchgal

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8392 on: December 04, 2006, 02:36:45 pm »
Now that is great way to start the day!!
thanks for those! ;D

Offline opinionista

« Reply #8393 on: December 04, 2006, 02:40:36 pm »
And of course, some sweet hot Jake  :D

Whoever did that painting did a great job didn't he/she?

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #8394 on: December 04, 2006, 02:43:45 pm »
Oh God, Natali!! *swoons* that last pic of Jake is SO GORGEOUS!!! WOW! Thanks! Those eyes...those totally kissable lips!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #8395 on: December 04, 2006, 02:48:10 pm »
Oh God, Natali!! *swoons* that last pic of Jake is SO GORGEOUS!!! WOW! Thanks! Those eyes...those totally kissable lips!

Jake is totally kissable.  ;D (we need a drooling smiley)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #8396 on: December 04, 2006, 02:59:12 pm »
I just read chapters 1 and 2, and in one fell swoop we have met Wayne, Bill, Pete, and Gene. Wayne with an earring and eyeline (details I had forgotten) and Gene with long blond hair. Poor Pete, badly beaten and Ennis taking care of him in the bathroom. And for this first introduction, Bill seems like an okay guy!

L

Yes, now that we have 20/20 hindsight, so to speak, it's going to be very interesting!  I had forgotten about the eyeliner on Wayne, too!  If I block out what I now know about Bill, I guess he does seem okay so far.  A very confident, take charge guy - a bit of a smooth talker, though!

I get a little lump in my throat reading Chapter 2 - Reading about Jack.  Seeing lonely, grieving, scared Ennis doing his research  - and looking around wondering about the other "normal" people in the library.  Very poignant.  How brave he was to venture into the Stallion.

Thanks for the other nice welcomes!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Lhuthiel

• Jr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #8397 on: December 04, 2006, 04:58:37 pm »
I was just catching up on the last few pages and wanted to thank everyone who so nicely welcomed me after I left Saturday night. :)

I re-read the first chapters of Taking Chances and I agree, re-reading is quite interesting already knowing how the story will continue. I couldn’t remember the eyeliner on Wayne either, but it suits him well in my imagination.
And I don’t know why, but I’ve liked Pete from the beginning, even though he really gets on Ennis’ nerves in those first few chapters.
Looking forward to reading the next few chapters tomorrow. :)
Music washes away from the soul the dust of every-day life
-Auberbach-

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #8398 on: December 04, 2006, 05:11:06 pm »
Right I,m off for the nite peeps. C ya tomorow. Nite twinnie. ;) :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #8399 on: December 04, 2006, 05:13:06 pm »
I just read chapters 1 and 2, and in one fell swoop we have met Wayne, Bill, Pete, and Gene. Wayne with an earring and eyeline (details I had forgotten) and Gene with long blond hair. Poor Pete, badly beaten and Ennis taking care of him in the bathroom. And for this first introduction, Bill seems like an okay guy!

L

You're right Leslie, who would have thought Bill would turn out the way he did?

I like all the references to horses in the first chapter: the name of the bar, the bucking horse reference, Ennis's 'low startle point' in the bar...

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'