Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3131808 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #8620 on: December 18, 2006, 09:45:00 am »
From Chapter 75, Ennis puts up the birdhouse which to me was very symbolic of his first realization that he was going to stay....

It took more than ten minutes, Ennis having to use a ladder to get the feeder down where it hung off the eaves, before he could add the mounting and screw it to the pole he had pounded into the ground in the middle of the back yard, far enough from overhanging tree branches so that Greybeard the tomcat could not mount another assault. He was sweating by the time he got the birdhouse screwed onto the pole, then scooped out a canful of feed and reached up to pour it into the feeder, stocking it full, then hanging a string of suet and sunflower seeds from the front of the little house. He smiled, hearing the sound of chickadees and swallows , catching sight of the blur of a hummingbird dancing on a cornflower, and felt a sense of peace in him, now that he had put out something for them to eat. He covered the feed with canvas and set it inside the shed, thinking that he would have to remember to fill it when he came over to visit.

Yer talkin like yer comin back, boy, he thought to himself as he went inside to wash up. That’s cause yer comin back, ya just dont want ta say it. He did not dare ask Ellery any more about his theory, their moment of uncomfortable intimacy in the kitchen obliterated in the passion that followed, but he had thought about it almost constantly, since. It seemed so easy for him, now, to initiate sex, to tumble into bed, to feel that easy familiarity of sexual partnership. It was the rest that he had never done, the rest he had never yet dared to do. He looked at himself in the mirror as he wiped his hands. “Yer a queer, an yer in love with a man, boy. An yer comin back.” Once more, the expression that stared back at him seemed troubled, doubtful, but the words could not be argued against. Tears glistened in his eyes, but they were not tears of anguish, but of relief, that he knew now he was not going to make that tragic mistake he had made when he was nineteen, and drive off with that pain in his chest, not looking back.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
« Reply #8621 on: December 18, 2006, 11:46:56 am »
From Chapter 75, Ennis puts up the birdhouse which to me was very symbolic of his first realization that he was going to stay....

L

I especially like the last lines from what you quoted, "Tears glistened in his eyes, but they were not tears of anguish, but of relief, that he knew now he was not going to make that tragic mistake he had made when he was nineteen, and drive off with that pain in his chest, not looking back."

:)
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #8622 on: December 18, 2006, 12:13:07 pm »
Great quotes Leslie!

Yes the birdhouse is very symbolic indeed! Those birds will be a source of comfort and pleasure for Ennis.

I especially like the last lines from what you quoted, "Tears glistened in his eyes, but they were not tears of anguish, but of relief, that he knew now he was not going to make that tragic mistake he had made when he was nineteen, and drive off with that pain in his chest, not looking back."

:)

I agree, this was beautiful.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #8623 on: December 18, 2006, 12:46:48 pm »
Good morning, all!

Thank you once again, Leslie for the fantastic quotes - hot, sexy, touching, tender and gripping - everything! 

What great perspectives on the birdhouse!  It seems so obvious now that you pointed it out - but I hadn't before considered that Ennis putting up the birdhouse was indeed indicative of his permanence at Ellery's house!  Ennis loves his animals - they certainly will be a source of comfort and pleasure!  I thought, too, that the birds symbolized a "freedom" that Ennis has never had - and he is just beginning to see a glimmer of hope that he may have a chance at that freedom - to be who he is. 

Thanks - Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8624 on: December 19, 2006, 07:59:10 am »
Good morning re-readers...

On today's agenda, chapters 76-80

http://louisev.livejournal.com/21989.html

A little quote from chp 76:

“Sure enough, Ellery,” Wayne nodded, and Ennis felt Wayne’s eyes on him, and kept his own gaze looking slightly away. He wondered if somehow Wayne thought of him as more attractive now that he and Ellery were a couple. Or maybe it was the new denims.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8625 on: December 19, 2006, 10:23:03 am »
From Chapter 77:

Stew folded his hands. “Tell him everything you know about it, and insist he launch an immediate investigation. I warned you about Bill Early a long time ago, Ellery....”

“Shit, Stew, I know.”

“You suffer from excessive loyalty, Ellery. And as your lawyer, I want you to know that I have conducted my own brief background investigation of Mr. Del Mar here. I am happy to say that he has no criminal record, and not so much as a traffic ticket for a broken rear turn light.”

Ennis blanched. Ellery stared at him. “You are pokin into Ennis’s background? Isn’t that a little forward, Stew?”

“Considering the current dilemmas I am helping you with, Ellery, it seemed prudent. I can’t really rely on your professional instincts when it comes to... personal matters.”

Ellery stood up. “Can’t say I blame ya there. I hope ya don’t think worse a poor Ennis just because he had a light out on his truck.”

Stew smiled tightly. “Have a good night Ellery. And keep your doors locked.”

Leslie

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8626 on: December 19, 2006, 10:24:29 am »
A pivotal moment in Chapter 78:

Ennis blinked, glanced once more at the sullen Ellery, and then fixed Wes with a look. “Sir, are you offerin me a job?”

Wes smiled a little smile. “Well, depends on if you think you can pick healthy horses with a good temper when they’s just fillies, an if you got a good hand with em. No mistakin yer a quiet sort, keeps to yerself, an seein as how you’re already in the family, so ta speak...” he nodded at Ellery, who looked up, silently, exchanging glances with Wes... “I don’t see as how it is a losin proposition. We’d have ta agree on hours an salary an all that. You ain’t got someone ta answer to, no ranch work outstandin right now you got ta go back and finish?”

Ennis shook his head. “No sir. Ranch I worked went out a operation last summer, an cause I been there five years the owner gave me a bit of a severance from it. Name’s Carl Scrope, I’m sure he can give ya a reference fer what I done for em. Horses an cattle, but more lookin after em than actual saddle trainin, last couple years.”

Wes nodded. “You write down his name an I’ll make a call. This way I can make sure you stay close round here while we attend to some of the less pleasant duties my wife don’t want me ta go into at the dinner table.”

“Right,” Edna chimed in.

“I’ll surely do that. I’ll be goin back soon as my truck’s squared away... that’ll be Thursday sometime, an maybe come back Sunday....” he once again glanced over at Ellery.

“You gonna need a place ta stay, Ennis?” Edna said, cutting her meat into delicate slices.

“Uh...”

“No, he don’t need a place ta stay unless he’s sick a me,” Ellery interjected.

“I’m all set, at least fer now,” Ennis said, a blush creeping across his face. He had not expected to be arranging to stay with Ellery while at the dinner table with the sheriff and his wife, and even less, to be offered a job.

L

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #8627 on: December 19, 2006, 10:26:46 am »
A pivotal moment in Chapter 78:

“No, he don’t need a place ta stay unless he’s sick a me,” Ellery interjected.

“I’m all set, at least fer now,” Ennis said, a blush creeping across his face. He had not expected to be arranging to stay with Ellery while at the dinner table with the sheriff and his wife, and even less, to be offered a job.

L

I just love picturing that last moment there...
 ;D
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8628 on: December 19, 2006, 10:27:44 am »
More from chapter 78:

Ennis busied himself with the delicious pot roast, the meat’s excellence reminding him of the dinner he had had a couple of weeks before, the night that Ellery had “wined and dined” him. It seemed like a year ago. He felt like he was walking on air... being offered a job, working for people that Ellery trusted and considered his friends... only twenty minutes’ drive from Ellery’s house... and, staying with him.

He pushed the thought back out of his mind, but it continued to resurface through a hot apple pie and ice cream dessert, and then coffee and brandy as the dinner wound down. Does this mean he had just agreed to move to Laramie and move in with Ellery? He felt slightly dizzy, and told himself it was the brandy and the heavy meal.

L

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8629 on: December 19, 2006, 10:31:34 am »
And more! Same chapter (78)

“Sure enough,” Ennis said, his mind still whirling.  Ellery pulled the cruiser up his driveway and shut off the key.

“But that ain’t the big thing on yer mind, is it, sweetheart?”

“Nope.”  Ennis looked down at his hands in the quiet.

“It’s about us.”

“Yup.”

“Then let’s go in an have about six scotches an then we’ll talk about it, okay?”

Ennis nodded, a smile on his face, and knew that Ellery understood just how frightened he was of the choices he was about to face.

L