Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3166318 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #8660 on: December 22, 2006, 09:09:53 am »
Good morning re-readers...

chapters 91-95 are on the agenda today!

http://louisev.livejournal.com/26077.html

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #8661 on: December 22, 2006, 09:54:00 am »
Good morning Leslie  :)

a great line from chapter 91:

It was time to unpack, unwind, and get used to being in Laramie.

although Ennis might not be ready to unwind...

He found another cigar, lit it, and brooded, savoring the more violent encounters he had had with Ellery, feeling his passion build to the point where it discomfited him. He rose and walked, slowly, feeling dazed, toward the bedroom, standing in the doorway, and watched the quiet body of his lover, sleeping. He unzipped, pulling his throbbing cock out, and began to stroke it, his eyes fixed on the now-relaxed, pale face, black hair splayed against the pillow as he sighed in sleep.

He gasped, closing his eyes tightly, squeezing tight as he came, the image of Ellery on his knees and bent beneath him, moaning, triggering a rapid, violent orgasm. When he opened his eyes Ellery was awake, pale grey eyes locking with his as he held his dripping, softening cock, a slow smile spreading across his sleepy face.

phew 8)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #8662 on: December 22, 2006, 01:17:31 pm »

phew 8)

Phew! is right!!!   ;D

This was an interesting exchange in light of just reading Ellery's POV of their first day:

“You don’t think so? You missed all those battin eyelashes over the runny eggs that day. Or don’t you pay attention ta flirtin all that much?”

It was Ennis’s turn to stare, his face red. “I sure as hell paid attention when you was flirtin. An you did a whole lot a that....”

Ellery nodded, his lids falling to half mast. “Well sweetheart, that’s because ya ignored so much of it. An about half an hour after we started in talkin I wanted you somethin awful. Couldn’t ya tell?”

“Well... um.... no.”

He laughed again. “I got another name fer ya but it ain’t so complimentary, maybe I shouldn’t say so.”

“What? Worse that’ll happen is I’ll spank yer ass,” Ennis mumbled, a shy dare.

Yes, you're going to make good on that threat, aren't you, Ennis?   ;D

Thanks - Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #8663 on: December 22, 2006, 01:35:52 pm »
once he got his first look at that ass he was scheming, that's my view.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8664 on: December 22, 2006, 03:34:34 pm »
Here's an exchange I like, from Chapter 92:

“Know something?” he leaned over, flicked the end of the cigar neatly in the ashtray, making a small grunt as he stretched too far, then handed the cigar back to Ennis, who looked down at it for a long moment before taking another draw on it.

“Whut?”

“Yer gettin a lot more relaxed talkin about this.”

“Maybe that’s cause we do it so damn much.”

Ellery grinned. “That ain’t it.”

“What is it then?”

“Another one a my theories.”

“If I close my eyes will ya tell it ta me?”

“Sure.”

Ennis handed the cigar back to Ellery and closed his eyes, reaching out a hand and caressing his thigh gently with his fingertips.

“Queer men come in varieties, Ennis, an the best partners are made up a varieties that are compatible.”

“Yeah, what variety are we?” he asked, peeking out from under blond lashes briefly before closing his eyes once more.

“Yer shy in public but under that is a sexual dominant. Mostly. Maybe you got some submissive parts in you we ain’t seen yet but you like the control a bein the top. An the best kind a variety ta go with that is a submissive. An I about have my fill a yellin an screamin an bitchin at work that ain’t got no dominatin left in me when I get home, which is why I like ta submit.”

Ennis opened his eyes, gazing at him. “When I first met you I thought you were such a cocky son of a bitch. Really turned me off. I thought… if he is queer I bet he loves ta get a man on his knees.”

“You thought that? Sittin in Bill’s kitchen eatin them runny eggs? You hardly looked at me atall.”

“That’s why. I thought you was a cocky son of a bitch.”

“Well you got that right, but I hate doin that in bed. That’s yer department, Mr. Please an Thank you.”

“Thank you.”

“But I knew you were dominant, even sittin there eatin them eggs.”

Ennis stopped stroking that white thigh, seeing that Ellery was slowly softening, relaxing. He must be in a lot of pain to not want sex now, he thought suddenly. “How’d you know that?”

“I was askin ya stuff you didn’t want ta tell me. An as soon as you got to the limit you just cut right off an said ‘Ain’t that long ago if you don’t mind,’ an I heard that growl in ya. It went right into my guts. I like a man with growl.”

“Shit Ellery, you want ta make me hard again?”

“Is it possible? You are sure havin one serious reaction ta movin down here. Just like back when I was a teenager. Wall ta wall fuckin.”

Ennis blushed, embarrassed, and he wondered if that was all it was.

“So what do ya think a my theory?” Ellery asked, handing him back the cigar.

“I dunno. Let me think about it,” and took the cigar, taking a long draw, feeling himself relax once more.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8665 on: December 23, 2006, 09:02:32 am »
Re-readers...

We finish today! Just four chapaters left, 95, 96, 97 and 98.

http://louisev.livejournal.com/27121.html

I'll cut right to the chase with the closing paragraphs of the story...

“Right.” Ennis picked up the bottle of oil and poured some into his hand, reaching down and touching that painful spot just north of the flare of his ass, feeling a heartbeat there, his fingers moving slowly upward and into the healthier muscle above, and felt the other man’s breath deepen into a soft moan.

“Ellery,” he said, his voice thick, heavy in his throat.

“What…”

“You don’t… ya don’t have ta fuck me every day for me ta stay. Yer wearin yerself out. You got work ta do.”

Ellery didn’t answer. Ennis took a deep breath, let it out. He knew that there was only one thing to say, and that it must be said.

“I’ll love ya anyway.” His eyes seemed to sting and blur, and he felt the wide, slate grey gaze settle on him, a hand move up to his naked chest, stroking it, and he shivered deeply.

“Thank you, Ennis.”

Choking back a sob, Ennis leaned down, taking the hand that rested against his chest, caressing it between his fingers even as he continued to rub the hot, tense muscles of his back, and kissed him, eyes closed, tenderly, his lips soft against the open lips of his lover, parting softly to whisper against them… “I do…love you.” And he felt the surge of emotion in the body beneath him as the lips brushing his responded, perhaps more softly,

“And I love you, too, sweetheart.”

L

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #8666 on: December 23, 2006, 09:05:03 am »
Do people want to continue re-reading? I do...

Next on the list will be Looking For Answers. I am thinking we can start on December 26th and follow the same routine, 5 chapters a day. Let me know you are participating. Thanks!

L

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #8667 on: December 23, 2006, 09:08:25 am »
For your handy-dandy use, you can find indexes to the first two books here:

Link directly to

http://zebratta.livejournal.com/

You will find a full clickable index to the entire books of "Taking Chances" and "Looking for Answers"

I have asked Webgirl to do the other books as time permits.  For new readers (Like you Karen) and Rereaders alike!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
« Reply #8668 on: December 23, 2006, 10:41:56 am »

Next on the list will be Looking For Answers. I am thinking we can start on December 26th and follow the same routine, 5 chapters a day. Let me know you are participating. Thanks!

L

Umm, yes!

It's a serendipity that we finish Taking Chances just before Christmas! As one of my favorite fanfic original characters said, "Things happen for a reason." (For those of you unfamiliar with that quote, it's from Hal's nephew, Tom, in Leslie's brilliant alternate universe fic, A Love Born from Steel.)

This morning, when I read of Ennis speaking the words, "I'll love ya anyway," my eyes filled with tears yet again, even though this was about the seventh time I've read that scene.

And all this carryin' on is to say that the shared re-reading is very important to me. I'm sure I'm not alone in that sentiment. :)

Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #8669 on: December 23, 2006, 02:49:06 pm »

L

Oh, yes, Leslie, I do too! :)  Starting again next week sounds good.

Umm, yes!

It's a serendipity that we finish Taking Chances just before Christmas! As one of my favorite fanfic original characters said, "Things happen for a reason." (For those of you unfamiliar with that quote, it's from Hal's nephew, Tom, in Leslie's brilliant alternate universe fic, A Love Born from Steel.)

This morning, when I read of Ennis speaking the words, "I'll love ya anyway," my eyes filled with tears yet again, even though this was about the seventh time I've read that scene.

And all this carryin' on is to say that the shared re-reading is very important to me. I'm sure I'm not alone in that sentiment. :)

I can't say it better than that.  I'm reading ALBFS right now - and loving it!  Tom is a great character - and I agree with his sentiment completely!

Thanks - Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain