Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3167276 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #1430 on: July 14, 2006, 09:57:13 pm »
"Astroglide?  how do ya spell that?"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1431 on: July 14, 2006, 10:02:34 pm »
"Astroglide?  how do ya spell that?"

A S T R O G L I D E

just like it sounds, Ennis!
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
« Reply #1432 on: July 14, 2006, 10:03:47 pm »
Flipping fantastic David, and, you too, Louise! (and Leslie!)
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1433 on: July 14, 2006, 10:04:59 pm »
We're funnier here than at Heath Heath Heath....LOL
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #1434 on: July 14, 2006, 10:09:46 pm »
Calender Girl has just informed me that I have the boys working on Saturday as if it is a normal work week.

I will now have to revise the last two chapters.

Please bear with me during my reconstruction efforts.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline neatfreak

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #1435 on: July 14, 2006, 10:34:40 pm »
Tamarack mentioned Mark Weigle's "Two Cowboy Waltz," one of my favorite songs these days. I just discovered a much happier song of his that makes me think of Ennis and Ellery:

Have I Told You in the Last Five Minutes by Mark Weigle

We’re sittin’ at the kitchen table, hands ‘round coffee cups;
I’m watchin’ while he reads his paper; finally he looks up.
He says, “What?”

Have I told you in the last five minutes that I love you?
I just wanted you to know that it’s been on my mind.
‘Cause boy, I never want to let too much time go by.

A little lovin later, he’s late he’s got to go.
He’s barely out the door, it’s ringing. I pick up the phone.
I say, “Hello?”

You know I never want to let too much time go by.

Now if you think we’ve lost our minds, you’ve hit it right on the head
So crazy in love with each other we just can’t leave it unsaid.

You know I never want to let too much time go by.

Offline ranchgal

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1436 on: July 14, 2006, 11:51:25 pm »
Looking at that picture makes me think, David...that trailer was such a dump, and now we have Ennis cleaning, vacuuming, making the bed. Was he really Mr. Neat and Tidy beforehand? And with Alma, it sure didn't look like he did much (yes, he was working all the time, I'll grant you that). That's the way I wrote "my" Ennis, actually, and he admits it. But then he and Jack sort of fall into their roles and Ennis cleans while Jack cooks.

I guess, re: the trailer and now...we can just say that Ennis was depressed, then, and now he is happy. Thus the change. And, he did fold up Alma's sweater and put it away. Maybe he really is Mr. Neat and Tidy, it was just that that ugly trailer was more than he could cope with, given his frame of mind.

Yeah, that works.

L

the trailer was a dump, but it wasn't messy except for that afternoons dishes--everything was in its place, and he even put Jrs sweater away.
he just didn't have anything in the trailer worth worrying about. IT was old, run down and no one cared, including him, it was just a place to park when he wasn't working.

Helen

« Reply #1437 on: July 15, 2006, 03:03:09 am »
I didn't actually like Jack of the short story.  *waits for lightning bolt*   And I always thought that Ennis was used a little by Story!Jack.  There was Ennis opening his heart out to Jack when Jack had been diddling around, then lying about it.  Yeah, I know you could say he did it to spare Ennis's feelings but putting his whole character together, it just comes across as saving his own skin and getting himself out of a tricky situation.

One big place where, in my mind, Story!Jack and Movie!Jack don't reconcile very well is the scene with Jack's father, where he tells Ennis that Jack had another guy coming up to help.  I can well believe that of S!J, but M!J just seems a lot less likely to have taken that course of action.

But then, of course, these two guys do not actually exist - they were created. Much as we'd like to think otherwise, giving two characters a personality is a lot different to two real people living in the world.

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
« Reply #1438 on: July 15, 2006, 04:42:22 am »
As people can see, nB has gone from "not having a clue" about how to do an avatar to "it is perfect" within a matter of minutes. It is easy! If anyone else wants instructions and has a specific picture in mind (maybe something from the gallery) let me know and I will send directions. It is not hard at all!

Leslie

Please send me directions. Thanks for the help.
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1439 on: July 15, 2006, 06:44:07 am »
But then, of course, these two guys do not actually exist - they were created. Much as we'd like to think otherwise, giving two characters a personality is a lot different to two real people living in the world.

EEEK!   do not exist?    <faints>  thud.

Well, tell you what.  I know plenty of guys who tell "little white lies" to prevent hurting their loved ones.    And much like fictional Jack, it is done without malice.   Why shouldn't fictional characters have flaws?   Real people sure as hell do.  Not that I'm trying to justify Jack running down a Mexico way to get laid.     I think we need to peek into that characters head.  He was hurt and angry.  And doing spontaneous, stupid things then is something guys have mastered for centuries!  LOL   Women too I'm sure.

I think that is part of what made the movie characters so real to all of the viewers.  We can sympathize with the boys situations.  And the facial expressions of both Jake and Heath just drive it home like a stake thru the heart.    Ok, gotta change the suject, getting tough to type thru the tears again.    :'(