Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3165480 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #1440 on: July 15, 2006, 07:01:38 am »
Calendar girl, checking in. Any word on the reconstruction efforts from Louise?

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Helen

« Reply #1441 on: July 15, 2006, 07:23:51 am »
I wasn't saying I didn't like Story!Jack because he told white lies.  I didn't like him for numerous reasons. 

Yeah, I know loads of people who tell white lies, male and female, myself included.  And loads of people who do stupid, spontaneous things, too.

I can certainly sympathise with both characters in the movie.  Just not in the story.

As for fictional characters having flaws, I never said they shouldn't have.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #1442 on: July 15, 2006, 07:33:12 am »
Calendar girl, checking in. Any word on the reconstruction efforts from Louise?

L

okay okay I'm awake now.  Left with the wreckage of the weekend here.... not my weekend, but the boys' weekend.  I have the first part of Saturday written and working on... YES! The SEX SCENE.

For those who are up and about at last (it's afternoon in Europe) I will be hanging in chat while I separate those Shelayan weekend days outta ours!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1443 on: July 15, 2006, 07:38:02 am »
I wasn't saying I didn't like Story!Jack because he told white lies.  I didn't like him for numerous reasons. 

Yeah, I know loads of people who tell white lies, male and female, myself included.  And loads of people who do stupid, spontaneous things, too.

I can certainly sympathise with both characters in the movie.  Just not in the story.

As for fictional characters having flaws, I never said they shouldn't have.

I think I know what Helen is getting at here.  Jake G. did a yeoman's duty in making Jack a lot more romantic than he was portrayed in the short story, and taking the short story purely on its own merits (hard to do if you've seen the film twenty times and fell in love with Jake's Jack, I'm sure!!!), I have only seen the film four times and read the story innumerable times... it is clearly Ennis that is completely in love, and it is Ennis for whom there is one man and one man only.    Ennis was Jack's first choice, but he had runner-ups.  The other element of Story!Jack that comes through much clearer is that Jack moved out of Wyoming and went rodeo chasing in Texas, not contacting Ennis until long after Ennis had given up on him.  And it led me to believe he had rodeo thrill seeking, picking up rodeo clowns, and finding a meal ticket on his mind before he had Ennis on his mind.  He didnt get in touch with Ennis again until he had had a few years of pounding the rodeo trail, while Ennis wondered what happened to him.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1444 on: July 15, 2006, 07:42:07 am »
One of the things I find particularly interesting about the whole BBM experience is that I totally separate the movie and the story.

Every other book I have read that has been made into a movie, I think of it that way--> book-->movie. I compare the movie against the book the vast majority of the time, the movie falls short. I always like the book better.

But BBM...there is the story, which I read and enjoyed. I only read it a few weeks before I saw the movie, actually. I don't have a subscription the the New Yorker so I missed it in 1997. But in the first few weeks of the BBM hubbub, the story was still online at the New Yorker and I read it there.

I really liked the story. I thought it was really really good.

Then I went and saw the movie, which as everyone here knows, was one of those events that knocked my socks off.

For the first few weeks afterwards, I went through that phase of comparing Movie!Ennis with Story!Ennis, Movie!Jack with Story!Jack but then...I realized that was not helpful to me. I came to the conclusion that there is BBM the story, and BBM the movie. Then there is the aftermath of BBM (which we are living here). That is why I refer to it as "the experience" of BBM--it is the totality of all of it, which includes making new friends, for me, beginning writing, and so on. For me, BBM has become much more than a story or a movie.

I liked the comment that someone made that the screenplay was the first fanfic.

Leslie
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline neatfreak

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #1445 on: July 15, 2006, 07:56:24 am »
Wait, wait. Lemme get this straight, Leslie: "A Love Born From Steel" is the first writing you've done?

Offline Jane

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Together forever.xx
« Reply #1446 on: July 15, 2006, 08:07:12 am »
okay okay I'm awake now.  Left with the wreckage of the weekend here.... not my weekend, but the boys' weekend.  I have the first part of Saturday written and working on... YES! The SEX SCENE.

For those who are up and about at last (it's afternoon in Europe) I will be hanging in chat while I separate those Shelayan weekend days outta ours!

Hi Louise.  Erm I know(I think) I,ve asked this before, but as you,ve mentioned, SEX,(NOT that we ladies are sex mad or anything are we?  ;)  )I  just kind of erm, (cough) wondered,like you do,  ;), is Ennis likely to try out any of the erm, ahem, "toys" that Ellery keeps in the bottom drawer in the bedroom? ;) ;)  btw I LOVED the bit where Edna asked Ennis if he wanted butter on his biscuits... brilliant. :laugh:
Always and forever. J&E.xx

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1447 on: July 15, 2006, 08:08:08 am »
Wait, wait. Lemme get this straight, Leslie: "A Love Born From Steel" is the first writing you've done?

Well, I do alot of writing as part of my job, but it is not fiction! But the mechanics of writing are very comfortable for me.

In terms of my progression to fiction, the first thing I wrote was, "Brokeback Fever: A New Clinical Entity," which is sort of cross between my usual technical writing and fiction.

Then I wrote, "Makin' It Legal" which hasn't been posted anywhere, but if anyone wants to read it, let me know, I'll send you a copy. It is actually a chapter that builds on Human Interest, with Jack and Ennis in Vermont. Takes place in 2004.

Then I wrote "A Love Born From Steel."

That is my entire fiction writing career, launched in the past five months.

Leslie

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1448 on: July 15, 2006, 08:22:44 am »
He didnt get in touch with Ennis again until he had had a few years of pounding the rodeo trail, while Ennis wondered what happened to him.

Correct me if I'm wrong (I dont have a copy of the story anymore)  but didn't Jack go back to Sage to see Aguirre a year later just like in the movie?    Ennis was very much on his mind as he asked about him.

And for that matter, the anti-climatic way they parted sure would have left doubt in Jacks eyes as to Ennis's fealings on the matter.   Especially when the man you love just punched you out, then the last words he says t oyou are that he's still getting married.   I'm surprized that Jack didn't drive away in major tears!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1449 on: July 15, 2006, 08:27:14 am »
Hi Louise.  Erm I know(I think) I,ve asked this before, but as you,ve mentioned, SEX,(NOT that we ladies are sex mad or anything are we?  ;)  )I  just kind of erm, (cough) wondered,like you do,  ;), is Ennis likely to try out any of the erm, ahem, "toys" that Ellery keeps in the bottom drawer in the bedroom? ;) ;)  btw I LOVED the bit where Edna asked Ennis if he wanted butter on his biscuits... brilliant. :laugh:

errr... did you miss the chapters with all the props pictured in the gallery?  that's pretty much all of what's in the toy drawer!  Or did you mean is he going to try on a cock ring or buttplug himself?