Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3131943 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #1630 on: July 17, 2006, 08:56:27 am »
This is interesting, Louise, and you provide more detail here than you have in the book. Is this something that will be discussed more fully in "Shelter from the Storm"? I know you may not know the answer to that yet, but just curious if this is something that is rumbling around in your mind.

Also, Ellery's boss--I am assuming Wes--this is the first time he learned that Ellery was gay? Was Mel Ruskin the DA at that time?

Leslie

Hm?  Actually I thought I just put it all together in one place.  Ellery told Ennis about Bill outing him and losing his partner in his expositions about living as queer on the job.  It was Wes who defended him against the employees who revolted, and took their resignations rather than let them crucify Ellery.  And yes, Mel was the D.A. at the time (though he was not involved in this... it was a sheriff's office issue.)
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1631 on: July 17, 2006, 09:11:48 am »
Hm?  Actually I thought I just put it all together in one place.  Ellery told Ennis about Bill outing him and losing his partner in his expositions about living as queer on the job.  It was Wes who defended him against the employees who revolted, and took their resignations rather than let them crucify Ellery.  And yes, Mel was the D.A. at the time (though he was not involved in this... it was a sheriff's office issue.)

I don't remember this much detail. I'll have to back and look. I remember Ellery saying that Bill thought Ellery was getting it on with his (Ellery's) partner.

My other question--is this how Wes learned of Ellery's homosexuality? He didn't know before?

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1632 on: July 17, 2006, 09:14:42 am »
I don't remember this much detail. I'll have to back and look. I remember Ellery saying that Bill thought Ellery was getting it on with his (Ellery's) partner.

My other question--is this how Wes learned of Ellery's homosexuality? He didn't know before?

L

This wasn't specifically covered in the back story but Wes did discover Ellery's homosexuality during the "outing" incident where Bill came into his office and confronted Ellery in front of his boss and colleagues, of having sex with his partner.  The partner quit, the homophobes among his colleagues called for Ellery to get fired, and Wes intervened on Ellery's behalf.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1633 on: July 17, 2006, 09:25:13 am »
....um, David, I just realized...I don't know your last name! LOL

LN

Well, as safe as I feel here at BetterMost,  the internet is NOT.   And to protect myself against harassment, I'll keep my surname private thanks.    ;)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1634 on: July 17, 2006, 09:45:50 am »
gee you know, I feel so left out.  Here I have my name plastered everywhere and I write hot gay smex stories and I just can't seem to get any harrassment at all goin.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1635 on: July 17, 2006, 09:55:09 am »
I guess harrassment is all in the eye of the beholder! LOL

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline scudder

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #1636 on: July 17, 2006, 09:56:02 am »
Ennis Del Mar - On Death and Dying

A few years back the great medical researcher, Elizabeth Kubler-Ross wrote the book length study, On Death and Dying.

In the story canon, Ennis passed through four of the five stages of death and dying, which equally apply to grief.

1. Denial: After receiving the "deceased" stamped post card he proceeded to the pay phone, telling himself that Jack would answer the phone - had to answer the phone.

2. Anger: He wanted to curse Lureen for letting Jack die on the dirt road.

3. Bargaining: The trip to Lightning Flat, seeking the ashes and finding the shirts, was a vain attempt to make peace with the reality of Jack's death.

4. Depression: The story ends, leaving Ennis and all of us who care about him, in a state of deep depression over the devastating loss of the love of his life.

The Laramie Saga is the story of Ennis moving into the final stage of grief:

5. Acceptance: In every way Ellery helps Ennis deal with his grief, honoring the love he and Jack shared, and moving into a new love and life.

Ennis and Jack are real archetypes of men who love each other, and so our grief over Jack's death is real. People have to move through the stages of grief at our own rate, in our own time. Those who are still in one of the first four stages of grief as above very much want dear Ennis to stay there to keep them company. The stages of grief are fluid, and we move back and forth among them.

For those who are emotionally hurt by the wars at that other site, I have the following words of advice: Stay out of there (*growl*).

Fred, I want to thank you for your great analysis.  I have copied it. (Leslie taught me how to do it!)  Ennis goes to Laramie to see if he can work through his acceptance of Jack's death, and that is what Taking Chances is all about, along with Finding Answers.  Then, concomitantly, he is attracted to Ellery, and vice versa, Ellery to him.  The process of the developing love is interwoven with his acceptance of Jack's death and his relationship with Ellery. Jack is not slighted or forgotten but his death is accepted.  Ennis then can explore the implications of his new love with Ellery.  This development is totally in line with his character as shown in the Short story and the movie.
Fred, what are your thoughts on the developing love of the two men?

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
« Reply #1637 on: July 17, 2006, 10:36:54 am »
It's 35degrees here, and since the UK hasn't yet fully grasped the concept of aircon it is too hot to even think!

You're telling me. I've escaped the heat in this (non airconditioned) internet cafe.
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
« Reply #1638 on: July 17, 2006, 10:40:40 am »
Holy Moly!

Will someone give me a big hard dopeslap right now? SHIT! For some unknown reason, I decided to wade into the murky waters of (the other place) and have spent the last I don't know how many hours fighting the good fight to preserve the honor of Ennis and Ellery. Jeez. WHAT WAS I THINKING? Anyway, I know I have converted anyone over there but at least I managed to come out still looking like I have half a brain. PHEW!

I was actually told to "go to the Ennis and Ellery fansite." Oh brother.

And then I come here and we are happy and talking about ice cream and the weather. THANK GOD SOMEBODY HAS THEIR PRIORITIES STRAIGHT! LOL

For me: Ennis is Chunky Monkey; Ellery is Cherry Garcia. Of course I have to pick Ben & Jerry's flavors, I live in New England!

Leslie

Welcome to the club Leslie!
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1639 on: July 17, 2006, 10:48:13 am »
Welcome to the club Leslie!

I am still chuckling over the fact that I was told to go to the Ennis and Ellery fansite, given that I started this thread! Like, DUH!

L