Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3166345 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #1870 on: July 19, 2006, 03:41:54 pm »
He didnt hit his head, per se.  He was alert and had been alert for hours without any specific pain except the beer bottle bashing.  And the Bouncer Glare, as well as the Sheriff Himself sitting in the waiting room, does wonders for speeding up a mid-morning ER visit.

FICTION! I love it.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline scudder

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #1871 on: July 19, 2006, 04:01:59 pm »
It was quite huge when opened, so I resized it!  :)

Another Prop! woohoo!

Leslie, Dr. Wellins did a bang up job!  Where I practiced in 1984 in a town of 10,000 we didn't have a CT scan available and the neurologic exam had to do.  And Dr. Wellins was quite thorough, especially recording that the pupils were round, regular and equal and responded to light and accomodation.  Sitting in a rural town, we had to go by physical signs and follow them for changes.  Ennis and Ellery were also probably instructed to watch for changes in state of consciousness.  Laramie has some good docs there!

Offline ranchgal

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #1872 on: July 19, 2006, 04:02:35 pm »
Another thing you all have to remember---Ennis rides, and all riders know how to fall, they instinctively tuck and roll, or break and spread depending, to protect your head and neck everything else heals okay usually--cause coming off a moving horse going 10 to 15 mph and being thrown from 8 to 12 feet off the ground and hitting it-is just like the 35mph and 4 feet off the tailgate--this is NOT Ennis' first time contact with hitting the ground moving.  Trust me!!!

Every one who has ever been bucked off a bad horse--hits the ground and actually very few are really hurt bad considering how often it happens.
I have gotten hurt worse having them fall with me than I ever have been being bucked off---and I have jumped out off a few moving vehicles too--though not for the same reasons as Ennis---sometimes shit happens.
Ennis has had all these bruises before and will have them again--cause it is unavoidable--and when it happens---you fall the best you can and it does help you avoid injury.

You know something else occured to me during that last chapter---IF these are the same guys who went after JIm---they are not doing their homework--or are really ignorant---cause Jim wasn't really gay---being a probable PI, he may have made other enemies---but he wasn't in Laramie very long, and they made a mistake with him if it was them.   However, the Hate crime involving Wilkes is probably more important, cause that puts the offense on another level.  just a thought.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2006, 04:08:36 pm by ranchgal »

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1873 on: July 19, 2006, 04:08:58 pm »
Wow Ranchgal, I feel like I am so much smarter than I was when I wrote that chapter!  Thanks for telling me what a good job I am accidentally doing....  ;D
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #1874 on: July 19, 2006, 04:20:11 pm »
Update to "Shelter From the Storm"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/76738.html  "Chapter 5:  Too Close to Home"

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
« Reply #1875 on: July 19, 2006, 04:21:07 pm »
PastorFred you have hit the nail on the head. After all the sturm und drang of BBM Ellery and Ennis are in a safe harbour together. That has been immensely comforting to me. Ellery makes Ennis feel safe.

Maybe I was speaking too soon!
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
« Reply #1876 on: July 19, 2006, 04:35:14 pm »
Wow Ranchgal, I feel like I am so much smarter than I was when I wrote that chapter!  Thanks for telling me what a good job I am accidentally doing....  ;D

I'm glad to know that I wasn't off the mark either in my supposition that he wouldn't have been seriously injured... (he's lucky none of the glass from the beer bottle got in his eye though! that happened to my dad once, well not from a beer bottle, anyhow, I'll go read now)
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline pastorfred

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • retired, free-lance, non-denominational pastor
    • spirituality handbook
« Reply #1877 on: July 19, 2006, 05:33:45 pm »
Maybe I was speaking too soon!

I think it's just that Ennis and Ellery are better and safer together than either could ever be alone. Safe harbor is to be found in each other.
Peace be with y'all,
Fred

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #1878 on: July 19, 2006, 06:03:46 pm »
EDNA'S "Oooops! I Discovered the Vaseline!" COLE SLAW

Can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.

1 Granny Smith apple
1/2 medium green cabbage, halved lengthwise and sliced very thin
 (about 4 cups)
1/2 medium red cabbage, halved lengthwise and sliced very thin
 (about 4 cups)
2 carrots, shredded fine

Dressing
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt

In a large bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients.

Shred apple coarse and add to dressing with cabbage and carrots. Toss cole slaw well.

Serves 8.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #1879 on: July 19, 2006, 06:09:57 pm »
I'm surprized that Ennis didn't blush when Edna saw the vasoline on the nightstand and say that it was for chapped lips!   LOL.  After all, he is so private about everything else!