Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3166690 times)

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #2150 on: July 25, 2006, 07:16:20 am »
LOL!   Funny that you say that Leslie!    We have plenty of Maine plates runing around down here in Connecticut.    Turns out a few years ago our safety inspections got real hard for some clunkers to pass.  So these folks discovered that you can register a vehicle in Maine without a safety inspection and you DON'T need a Maine address!

You mail in a check to the Maine DMV with your registration and they'll mail you back a set of license plates to Connecticut!   The don't care if you're not a resident!    And trust me, these old clunkers in the worst section of town are not folks with Maine vacation homes!    LOL.

Maine shouldn't allow this, but they must like the money it generates.  Connecticut DMV is furious at this, but they can't just pull over every car with Maine tags!    So they expect people to report their neighbors if they are doing this.  Yeah! right!

We can't make such creative plates here in CT.   We can't mix letters and numbers unless separated by a dot.   We don't have any of these "! @ # $ % & * +" symbols either.   (New Hampshire lets you use those too.)   Connecticut has strange vanity plate rules.   We are limited to six characters too.  :(

Here are Some I thought of:

BBM-FAN

LUV-BBM

TWIST

BBM-1

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2151 on: July 25, 2006, 07:23:53 am »
Unfortunately, TWIST is not available, but you have some other choices...

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2152 on: July 25, 2006, 07:35:59 am »
Those are nice, David, but I am still partial to the E&E 4EVA style, myself...that's what I think you really need!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2153 on: July 25, 2006, 07:42:09 am »
I may need to re-register my car!

I actually just checked on this...vanity plates in Wyoming are called "Prestige Plates" and you can't search on them online...so no way of knowing if Ennis and Ellery are available. Actually, EJC is more what I picture on the blue El Camino...

L

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #2154 on: July 25, 2006, 07:46:58 am »
Wayne has a little Toyota Corona (the little hatchback that was seen just about everywhere in the late 70's and early 1980's, I believe) and the Prestige plate on that car says:

"ISUKCOK"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2155 on: July 25, 2006, 07:50:06 am »
Wayne has a little Toyota Corona (the little hatchback that was seen just about everywhere in the late 70's and early 1980's, I believe) and the Prestige plate on that car says:

"ISUKCOK"

Do you think the prisoner hammering this out up in Warren would realize what it says?

(Folks, this is a real license plate which the Maine DMV is telling me is available!)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2156 on: July 25, 2006, 07:52:24 am »
Yeah, he does.  And he's saying "so do I, bud, so do I."
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2157 on: July 25, 2006, 07:55:03 am »
In one of the more bizarre twists of license-plate land, this is available:

but SPANKEE is taken. Too bad...!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2158 on: July 25, 2006, 09:18:31 am »
 I was just looking at Leslie's license plates ENNIS and ELLERY, and it occurred to me that on one level, the romance between our heroes has a mystical significance based upon the mirroring of their names, as though they are complimentary parts of the same thing, the inner-directed power of Ennis and the outward and worldly Ellery, together making a combination that complements both of them.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2159 on: July 25, 2006, 10:02:07 am »
I was just looking at Leslie's license plates ENNIS and ELLERY, and it occurred to me that on one level, the romance between our heroes has a mystical significance based upon the mirroring of their names, as though they are complimentary parts of the same thing, the inner-directed power of Ennis and the outward and worldly Ellery, together making a combination that complements both of them.

I have always liked the way their names go together. I also like the 4 L's in Ellery's name. I have 4 L's in my name, too, and something about all those lovely L's rolling together off my tongue has always appealed to me.

L