Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3166908 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #3890 on: September 13, 2006, 04:43:17 pm »
And the Gyllenhaalics can check out the Jake Jake Jake thread  as well ..  ;)

moremojo

« Reply #3891 on: September 13, 2006, 05:35:57 pm »
[
Oh, this is such a nice picture of our man! Sensitive and brooding...and I love the look of his hair here. Almost like you could reach out and touch it.

Offline magicmountain

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Fire from heaven
« Reply #3892 on: September 13, 2006, 07:23:29 pm »
Castaway wasn't the only film with the theme of a person returning from the dead. In "Move Over Darling" starring Doris Day and James Garner, five years  after his wife  disappeared in the sea after a plane crash, her husband  has her declared legally dead, remarries and sets off to honeymoon with his new wife. The same morning, the first wife (Doris Day) arrives home after being rescued by the Navy from a desert island and follows the couple.

The husband is still in love with his first wife and is delighted to see her but at first can't break the news to the new wife.  Eventually he tells her  but then he learns that his first wife was stranded on an island alone all those years with a goodlooking man and that they called each other "Adam" and "Eve"! Doris then has some explaining to do! In romantic comedies things always seem to work out in the end.

The fact that the idea of Jack reappearing in the E and E story results in such ambivalence on our part is testimony to how real the relationship between Ennis and Ellery is and how real are the changes in Ennis. Not so long ago we would all have been jumping for joy at the prospect. Now? Menage a trois anyone? The mind boggles.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 07:29:56 pm by magicmountain »
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline NavyVet

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Harm/Tony - My fav rare pair
« Reply #3893 on: September 13, 2006, 08:26:38 pm »
Hooo-weeeee!
I did it!  I'm all caught up!  I can't remember when I started this saga - must've been  a couple of weeks ago.
I know I haven't gotten anything else accomplished.
I'm so happy I found this marvelous story and I'm beyond obsessed - I hope it never ends.  The timing of my discovery couldn't be better, too, as my RL has been in a funk.  My other hobby (other than reading and writing fanfiction) is music.  I had been performing in 3 different bands/groups, but recently, old chronic dental issues have flared up again and I've had to QUIT playing sax for the second time in my life, kind of a bummer.  I'm going to learn the flute as a substitute.
So ... now that I have free time again, I better go practice, work on my novel, and numerous other things.  LOL.
And I eagerly await each new installment.  Louise, you're the best!
NavyVet
"Brokeback Mountain:  Where slash is canon!"

Offline MadLori

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Remember - Jack Nasty loves you.
« Reply #3894 on: September 13, 2006, 11:35:30 pm »
Castaway wasn't the only film with the theme of a person returning from the dead. In "Move Over Darling" starring Doris Day and James Garner, five years  after his wife  disappeared in the sea after a plane crash, her husband  has her declared legally dead, remarries and sets off to honeymoon with his new wife. The same morning, the first wife (Doris Day) arrives home after being rescued by the Navy from a desert island and follows the couple.

That sounds exactly like the plot of "My Favorite Wife" starring Cary Grant.  Perhaps the Doris Day film is a remake.

But I seriously doubt if such a thing happened in the LS that it'd be romantic-comedy fodder.  More like Greek tragedy, complete with wailing and rending of garments.
Jack:  I could kick your ass any day of the week.
Ennis:  Then the weeks where you live must have a No Fuckin' Way Day.

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #3895 on: September 14, 2006, 01:51:51 am »
;D  ;D  ;D  ;D
BAD naughty souxi!! LOL!  :D
Pleeeease let's not go down that road again......  :P  ;)

:-*

Sowwwwwwwwwwyyyyyyyyyyyy. ;) ;) Anyway, I blame Louise entirely for "those" dreams, it,s ALL her fault. If she didnt produce such HOT writing I,d NEVER sit here having carnal thoughts, not to mention dreams. tsk tsk. ;) ;) ;) I had to turn my  pooter off last night because we had a HUGE thunderstorm so I had to wait till this morning, it,s 6.50 am now, before I could read the getting fancy chapter. Well worth it though. Do you think Ellery brought any more "toys" with him then?  ;) ;)

Offline magicmountain

• Fire from heaven
« Reply #3896 on: September 14, 2006, 02:37:55 am »
That sounds exactly like the plot of "My Favorite Wife" starring Cary Grant.  Perhaps the Doris Day film is a remake.

But I seriously doubt if such a thing happened in the LS that it'd be romantic-comedy fodder.  More like Greek tragedy, complete with wailing and rending of garments.

Agreed. Gouging out of eyes, banishment into the wilderness, the whole box and dice.
Remember upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all. - Alexander the Great

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #3897 on: September 14, 2006, 03:25:46 am »

Sowwwwwwwwwwyyyyyyyyyyyy. ;) ;) Anyway, I blame Louise entirely for "those" dreams, it,s ALL her fault. If she didnt produce such HOT writing I,d NEVER sit here having carnal thoughts, not to mention dreams. tsk tsk. ;) ;) ;) I had to turn my  pooter off last night because we had a HUGE thunderstorm so I had to wait till this morning, it,s 6.50 am now, before I could read the getting fancy chapter. Well worth it though. Do you think Ellery brought any more "toys" with him then?  ;) ;)
Hehehe, I know EXACTLY which one you mean....LOL!  ;D   I hope so!  :P  ;D

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #3898 on: September 14, 2006, 04:33:21 am »
Hehehe, I know EXACTLY which one you mean....LOL!  ;D   I hope so!  :P  ;D

Hahahahaha yes thats the one LOL. ;D I think it,s about time he used that on Ennis dont you think? ;) ;) You do realise that your encouraging me too dont you? tsk tsk  ;D ;D

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #3899 on: September 14, 2006, 05:27:03 am »

So ... now that I have free time again, I better go practice, work on my novel, and numerous other things.  LOL.
And I eagerly await each new installment.  Louise, you're the best!

welcome to the Bettermost "up to date" club, maybe we ought to give it a name: the Nail Biters.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”