Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3184764 times)

yb

Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #3570 on: September 07, 2006, 02:04:53 am »
Hello all...just letting you know that I posted my big giant fangirl gush/review/comments/thoughts on the Laramie Saga.

http://community.livejournal.com/wranglers/1150876.html

Louise, this is my best effort to exercise the Lori Effect, ha ha.

Hi, Lori

What a great review.  Knowing that you're so respected in the world of fanfics, I sure hope this review will help to alleviate some people's antagonism to this story, god knows how much flames Louise, Ennis and Ellery have copped the past few months.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2006, 02:08:19 am by yb »

Offline Bigheart

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3571 on: September 07, 2006, 02:23:45 am »
Hello all...just letting you know that I posted my big giant fangirl gush/review/comments/thoughts on the Laramie Saga.

Thank you Lori!

This was absolutely wonderful and I can't wait to see what kind of reactions you'll get.

:)

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #3572 on: September 07, 2006, 04:03:43 am »
Quiplash, this is great. :o  Off topic or not, I just love the direction you're going! ;)
Hehehe, me too!  ;D

I could just sit and stare at this ALL DAY!!  ;D

Thank you!  :)

yb

« Reply #3573 on: September 07, 2006, 04:20:46 am »
Please pardon my ignorance, can someone explain to me what's the relevance of Dom!Ennis and Sub!Ellery against Annie Proulx's story because I've seen this issue being raised many times in these months as one of the reasons this story is a departure from Annie Proulx's story.  Thanks.

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #3574 on: September 07, 2006, 04:47:11 am »

Wow Lori, I,ve just read your review, and all I can say is WOW!!! What a brilliant revieiw! Did you notice the angry post at the bottom? >:( >:(  Yes maybe Jack was Ennis,s soul mate, maybe one day Ellery will be too, who knows? For Gods sake, if these people dont like Louises story or any other fanfic they read, then why dont they go away and write their own and see if they can do any better, which I strongly doubt. grrrr. >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #3575 on: September 07, 2006, 05:05:28 am »
Their relationship is, for the most part, based upon Ennis being the top and Ellery being the bottom, with mild dominance and submission elements to it.  I say "mild" because a true Dom/sub relationship doesn't general permit for switching, and Ennis has gradually become more and more interested in bottoming and oral sex.  However, I don't personally see this as a departure from Annie Proulx's story since Ennis topped rather aggressively in her story on their first sexual encounter, and I merely extrapolated from that, and from Ennis's other aggressive tendencies.

However, they do not carry this mild dom/sub aspet into other parts of their relationship.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #3576 on: September 07, 2006, 06:30:46 am »
Wow Lori, I,ve just read your review, and all I can say is WOW!!! What a brilliant revieiw! Did you notice the angry post at the bottom? >:( >:(  Yes maybe Jack was Ennis,s soul mate, maybe one day Ellery will be too, who knows? For Gods sake, if these people dont like Louises story or any other fanfic they read, then why dont they go away and write their own and see if they can do any better, which I strongly doubt. grrrr. >:( >:( >:( >:(
Yeah souxi, you can also tell these people over and over to stop reading if they don't like it. It's always the same old same old  ::) ::)

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #3577 on: September 07, 2006, 06:34:55 am »

thanks madlori for an absolutely terrific review!!  :)  :-*

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

yb

« Reply #3578 on: September 07, 2006, 07:44:39 am »
Their relationship is, for the most part, based upon Ennis being the top and Ellery being the bottom, with mild dominance and submission elements to it.  I say "mild" because a true Dom/sub relationship doesn't general permit for switching, and Ennis has gradually become more and more interested in bottoming and oral sex.  However, I don't personally see this as a departure from Annie Proulx's story since Ennis topped rather aggressively in her story on their first sexual encounter, and I merely extrapolated from that, and from Ennis's other aggressive tendencies.

However, they do not carry this mild dom/sub aspet into other parts of their relationship.

That's what I thought, too.  But the way some people make such a big deal about this I thought I must have missed something which, due to cultural differences, is unbeknown to me.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #3579 on: September 07, 2006, 08:49:29 am »
well some people think portrying homosexuality is controversial too!  I guess there is a very conservative element within the fandom that thinks somehow that soft play in the bedroom is something wildly kinky and cannot be done.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”