Author Topic: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll  (Read 3184115 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Taking Chances, by E. L. Van Hine and L.H. Nicoll
« Reply #3310 on: August 29, 2006, 12:29:58 pm »
Speaking of horses ..  We need to cast Calico!
Any ideas?  I know she is a chestnut mare with white spots on her face.  All we need is a chestnut mare and I can add the spots to her face ..  :P

She is cute, but she took the spots thing too far ..  ;)

Any suggestions horse lovers?  :)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #3311 on: August 29, 2006, 12:32:09 pm »
*whoa!* Lucise.  That sure is one CALICO horse!
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3312 on: August 29, 2006, 01:18:33 pm »
Okay folks, in celebration of my rapid and unprecedented recovery....

Update to "The Long Way Home"

http://louisev.livejournal.com/104122.html  "Chapter 7:  A Forgotten Date"
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3313 on: August 29, 2006, 02:45:14 pm »
At Kelly's gentle request:

A list of Chapter Enders (not all one-liners)

First, from "Taking Chances"

Chapter 12

Ellery: "We wasted plenty a time already on you and your piece a ass, Bill.  Now let's see the scene a the fight."

Chapter 18

Pete put on a look of malevolent glee and grinned up at the two men.  “I took his weddin ring.”

Chapter 21

Ellery glanced over at Ennis, who nodded.  Then he raised his glass, and leaned over, clinking it against Ennis’s.  “Then here’s to a fair ending to an absolutely shitty Friday off, and to friendship,” and drank deeply, never taking his eyes off Ennis.

Chapter 23

Ennis reached for his own hat and set it down, and it cocked against the black hat.  “To ... Glenfiddle Scotland,” he said.  “Wherever the hell it is.”

Chapter 24

Several long moments passed as Ennis’s breathing returned to normal. “Maybe it’s time you told me bout this book,” Ellery said.

Chapter 25

And when the bolt of pleasure straightened his back, he cried out softly, “Oh, Jack!” and gasped as Ellery rose and knelt, placing his mouth over his erupting cock and sucking him empty, eventually, as he softened, Ellery straightened back up against him and put his face against Ennis’s shoulder.  Ennis had thrown his arm over his eyes.  “I’m... sorry, bout that Ellery.”

“It don’t matter,” Ellery chuckled.  “My middle name’s Jack.”

Chapter 28

“Still.”  Ennis straightened up at the sink and gave Ellery a fierce look.  “Still love em.  Never told em.  Still love em.  An won’t ever stop.”

Ellery nodded.  “As it should be.”

Chapter 32

Ennis: “I’d do just about anything fer you right now,” he whispered, repeating back what Ellery had told him this morning.  “Cause I like you just fine.”
Chapter 36

Ennis: “Yeah. Can you make this thing stop an go back? I wanna see him washin up in the bathroom again.”

Ellery: “Sure, you press this thing here.”

Chapter 41:

Ellery: “Lets have some coffee and do all this again, only this time slower.”

Chapter 42:

Their breathing slowed in unison, it seemed, small drops of sweat trickled off Ennis’s chest and into the thin coverlet beneath him as he cooled off, his hand slick against Ellery’s hip, and his cock slipped out by degrees, still twitching with the remaining tremors of their pleasure.  “Damn boy...” Ellery whispered.  “You got a great right hook.”

Chapter 44:

Ennis tore his eyes away from the window, taking a deep breath, and grabbed Ellery with both hands.  “Yer rilin me up again boy.”

“Good deal, that was the plan.”  And he tilted his head down slightly for the hard kiss he knew was coming next.

Chapter 50:

“Shit, boy, that was great,” Ennis said, reaching for the box of cigars that lay on the coffee table.

“Good movie, wasn’t it?”  Ellery replied.

Chapter 51:

“Now don’t you be steppin out on me with that doughboy or you’re gonna see some smoke.”

Ennis picked up the empty roll the biscuits came in.  “Wonder if he left his number. He tastes really fuckin good.”

Chapter 60:

Ellery sniffed, nibbled at Ennis’s lip before he stepped back.  “Chief Deputy darlin ta you.”

Chapter 64:

“Think a the girl on the butter,” Ellery said with a confident smile, and got out of the car, walking without a limp to the noise of voices and music in the Sheriff’s back yard.

Chapter 65:

Edna Brown leaned over, patting his back.  “Somethin go down wrong, Ennis?” she asked softly.

“No, ma’am, everythin’s fine.”  But right now, all Ennis could think of was the moment in the bathroom when Ellery told him he had named his cock “Jack.”

Chapter 66:

“Well, it’s true.  An we’re cousins right?”  Ennis gave Ellery a tight smile, not quite accepting the tale Ellery had spun on his behalf.  “Cousins visit don’t they?”

“Yeah, but kissin cousins do moren that, Ennis.  Let’s go get yer truck.”

Chapter 72:

Ennis: “Well, at least I got somethin ta tell Junior that doesn’t involve queer, courts, an lawyers.”

Ellery laughed.  “That’s lookin on the bright side of things.”

Chapter 73:

Ennis laughed hoarsely.  “Ain’t those illegal?”

Ellery: “Well, yeah.  That’s what makes em taste so good.”

Chapter 77:

Wes:  “Now, let’s eat.  I’m in a bad mood an only one thing improves it.  My wife’s cookin.”

Chapter 88

“Sweetheart,” Ellery said softly, his voice pitched with the husky tone of satisfied lust.

“Whut?” he asked, his heart thudding.

“Doughboys are burnin.”

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • no way out but through
« Reply #3314 on: August 29, 2006, 02:56:10 pm »
Thanks so much Louise.  What a great idea I had!
 ;)
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3315 on: August 29, 2006, 03:14:46 pm »
Chapter Enders

Looking for Answers

Chapter 2

Ellery: “Ain’t got no energy left fer ridin stallions eh?”

“We’ll see…” Ennis murmured, running his tongue along the dark hairline, making Ellery shiver with new pleasure.

Chapter 4:

Harry nodded, understanding at last.  “Oh I see.  Gimme another Bud, Mary.  I obviously got ta set my sights on somebody more pretty.”
Chapter 15:

The orderly spoke then, to Ennis.  “You family?”

“He’s my momma, didn’t you figure that out son?” Ellery snapped.

Chapter 16:

Ennis straightened up, looking down at Ellery with a look that was more mock severity than actual.  “We’ll see after breakfast.  We’re havin sausages an doughboys.”

“Yes Momma,” Ellery said meekly.

Chapter 24:

Ennis pulled out slowly, and lifted a wet  hand, and Ellery leaned back, shivering all over, then  Ennis leaned over, bringing his warm, dripping fingers up to Ellery's mouth, and Ellery opened his mouth, lapping up his own come from Ennis’s hand.  Ellery glanced up through the veil of his lashes and saw Ennis smile and nod.  “Good boy,” Ennis said softly.

Chapter 26:

Wayne tossed his head as he strode quickly out of the yard, not looking back.

Ellery shook his head, rubbing his eyes.  “You have such a way with him, Ennis, I swear.”

Chapter 28:

“I am all better, now come on boy….”  Ellery gave him a beseeching look.

Ennis pulled away slightly.  “After we go out an have that T-bone steak you was temptin me with.”

Chapter 37:

Ron opened the door of his office and let Ellery out.  “Next time, if ya want ta blend in, try wearin jeans that didn’t just come off the rack.  More believable that way.”

“Thank you kindly, officer,” Ellery said.

Chapter 40:

Ennis looked up at Ellery in a kind of slow shock, taking in the blue boots, the tight black denims and brief vest, then finally the ponytail and earring.  “What the fuck are you WEARING?”  Ennis said, voice cracking.

“Oh. Shit. Yeah. Guess I better change.” Ellery stepped through the living room, suddenly self conscious in front of his colleague, and tossed back over his shoulder. “Hey there Joe. You take his statement, okay?” and went in to the bedroom to change. He only wished he could have provoked that reaction from Ennis under better circumstances.

Chapter 42:

Ennis: “Only cock I want you lookin at is that one right there, an I mean it.” he pointed a lazy finger at his crotch.

“Yes sir,” Ellery replied.

Chapter 43:

“You do brighten up to a nice shade a green, Ennis,” Ellery said.  “If Wayne an me were on a desert island an there was nothin there but a coconut between us, I think I’d fuck the coconut before I’d fuck Wayne.”

Ennis spewed coffee down his chin.  “Maybe you oughta tell em that.”

“I did.  That’s why he doesn’t flirt with me no more.”

Chapter 44:

Ellery smirked at Ennis.  “If he had a brain in his head, he could lodge a complaint of assault for that Ennis.”

Ennis: “Let em.  I’ll tell em he pissed me off.”

Chapter 45:

Ellery looked up at him with a drunken smile.  “Where do you get these ideas, sweetheart?”

“While I’m muckin out mares,” Ennis replied.  “It gets real borin sometimes.”

“Lucky for me,” Ellery replied.

Chapter 47:

James Wellesley stood up, gaping once again as if he hadn’t tried quite hard enough to get air the first time around, saw his suit jacket slipping to the floor, grabbed for it, and bolted out the door.

“Like shootin fish in a barrel,” Ellery commented to the empty room.

Chapter 48: 

Wes: “Leave me alone, Ellery.  I am already regrettin you comin back full time.”

Ellery smiled sweetly.  “I am doin my level best.”

Chapter 55.

Wes:  nodded.  “You boys stay outta trouble ya hear?”

Ellery shook his head.  “Never, Wes.”

Chapter 57:

Ellery: “I’m a bland guy. I like biscuits.  Get me some biscuits next time you burn rubber to the bakery okay Joe?”

Joe: “Sure Chief.”

Chapter 60:

Ennis pulled out, letting Ellery lower himself back down to a prone position as their breathing slowed, and he turned his head, face half concealed by the pillow.  “That was quite a lesson, boy,” Ellery whispered.

Chapter 61:

Dupree stood up, looking more encouraged than when he came in.  “Hey Chief… I don’t really have ta keep eatin Joe’s donuts do I?  he likes those jam filled ones an they just make my stomach churn.”

“Damn straight.  It’s yer duty ta protect an serve, Dupree.”

Chapter 65:

Ennis kissed the sweaty nape of his neck, tasting the salt.  “You want some dessert?”

Ellery;  “I thought that was the dessert, sweetheart.”

Chapter 66.

Ennis pulled his fingers out from between his thighs, tugged Ellery’s zipper up so the cutoffs wouldn’t fall right off him when he moved.  “Yeah, good idea.  An you better take those off.  Those are just indecent.”

Chapter 67:

Ennis: “Whut?” he asked, fingers brushing away the hair half-obscuring the teasing expression.

“I got ta get you jealous more often,” Ellery said softly.

Chapter 68:

Ennis: “Funny, that’s what Ellery says too.  You police are all so damned cocky.”

Dupree grinned.  “We are aren’t we?”

Chapter 69:

(Ellery) He opened the door, holding his sheriff’s badge in one hand, the gun upraised in the other as he raised his hands and stood still in the red light.  “Nobody here but us lawmen,” he said as the officers approached, guns pointed.

Chapter 70:

Wes nodded.  “Yep.  I got a feelin old judge Worrell’s still got his fingers deep in the Austin police an someone made you, Ellery.  Though at this point there is gonna be hell ta pay if I find out who it is.”

“Shit,” Ennis said.

“Fuck,” Ellery echoed.

Chapter 73:

Ellery glanced at Ennis.  “What happened?”

“Got kicked by horse,” Ennis said simply.

Chapter 76:

Wes: “He’s still in surgery.  Nellie kicked em harder than he looked at first, Ennis.  It ain’t yer fault.  A kickin horse ain’t classified as a lethal weapon.”

Chapter 77:

Ellery: “I didn’t get injured an have ta explain to anybody how that got there.”

Ennis kissed his sweaty nape, pressing briefly against the bite, feeling the full body shiver as he sucked on the flesh of his neck, nipping gently, then letting go as he raised a small welt on his neck, then licked it with his tongue, eliciting small moans of pleasure.  “Got bit by a coyote,” he murmured.

“A blond one,” Ellery replied.

Chapter 79:

Wes heaved a long sigh, looking Ellery in the eye.  “I don’t like it.  But you got three days, Ellery.  Now let’s bring ya home so you can get started kickin in yer livin room wall.”

Chapter 83:

“Yeah... only one problem,” Ellery replied.

“Whassat?”

“I got bit by that coyote again.”

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3316 on: August 29, 2006, 03:37:03 pm »
The Lighthearted LJ Feedback award goes to:  LUCISE! for the following response to a flame LJ comment:

I am not sure if the Anonymous poster above is mad at Ellery or Ennis or both..lol..

Either way, poster, don't git yer knickers in a bunch. This is a story, not World War III!! LOL.

Louise, great work on Four Books of the Laramie Saga!

Offline notBastet

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • no way out but through
« Reply #3317 on: August 29, 2006, 03:46:05 pm »
Oh Louise, and Milli,

Thanks so much for reminding us of that!
“It can be a little distressing to have to overintellectualize yourself” - Heath Ledger

Offline Bigheart

« Reply #3318 on: August 29, 2006, 04:04:59 pm »
Hi Louise!!

I'm back home! Finally! ::)

I LOVE the chapter endings! SO much!

I'm going to start my power read now!  ;D I don't think I'll be commenting though, otherwise I'll never get finished!!
Hope you don't mind too much   :-\

You feeling better?

:-*

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3319 on: August 29, 2006, 04:18:11 pm »
Oh Louise, and Milli,

Thanks so much for reminding us of that!
Well that poster was ranting ..slutt this ..slutt that..Elle-slutt-ry or something like that!  Jeez!  So worked up!!  ;D

BigHeart!  Great to see ya back!  :)

Cheers for the Chapter endings Louise!